Thread: Help with 2 5 week old grey squirrels

Exclamation Help with 2 5 week old grey squirrels

An acquaintance of ours was doing a job cleaning gutters and found a nest of squirrels and the owner wanted them removed. He did call local rehab center but was told they couldn't take them. He kept 2 and my husband talked me into the other 2. I have hand raised puppies and kittens before and knew it would be difficult. I immediately started researching on what they needed, age etc. that was 2 1/2 weeks ago. They were doing very well. They just opened there eyes on the 23 so I'm guessing they are 5 weeks. 2 days ago the lil boy Lincoln poop started turning soft and then moved into diarrhea overnight. The lil girl Lona is now constipated. I have as of yet not been able to find a kitchen scale so I'm not sure of their weight. They are on the estiblac puppy formula with probiotics with heavy cream and yogurt and eat 4-5 cc every 3.5-4 hours with a night feed at 2 am. Since the poop problems started I have been hydrating in between feedings. I put Lincoln on the Brat diet I found on here and have given Lona diluted apple juice. I removed the cream from Lincolns brat formula mix. Lona is energetic and feisty her tummy isn't bloated or hard she just won't poop and throws a fit while I'm stimulating. I have tried warm baths which she loves but only get 1-3 lil golden nuggets occasionally. Lincoln firmed up on the brats but then turned loose and runny again. He was energetic yesterday but is lethargic and not as interested in his food or water today. Me and my husband have become very attached to them and would prefer to rehab and release ourselves. If someone could give advice on what to do please. We love the lil nuts but if we can't or don't have what they need then I am open to handing them over to someone with more experience and supplies if it means they will live and thrive 😭.

P.s. We have ordered the fox valley 20/50 and it should come in in a few days.

Default Re: Help with 2 5 week old grey squirrels

Wow, good on you! You guys have worked really hard on learning what to do.

My best advice is to invest in a gram scale so you have a more accurate way to measure amts of food needed! Also if any meds needs dosing a weight on the baby is a MUST.

Let's deal with the boy first since his lethargy is concerning. Have you had any incidence of formula coming out his nosewhile feeding him. Is he energetic about taking his formula? Just in case that he could be dealing with aspiration pneumonia, start looking for Baytril/Cipro or Clavamox/augmentin. If his lethargy is coming from AP, you will need these meds (and a scale) ASAP.

Whose green poop is that in the picture? Are you giving them pedialyte for any reason. Or anything other than formula? Do both have that green poop?

I'll wait for answers before I go on.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Loudhouse2 (08-27-2017), UDoWhat (08-27-2017)

By the way, they are beautiful
    redwuff
    State Licensed

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Loudhouse2 (08-27-2017), UDoWhat (08-27-2017)

So Lona is no longer stopped up �� The green poop is Lincolns. No on the pedialite I've been making the hydration mix I found on here minus the salt. She loves it and he hates anything not his formula. I have been very careful when feeding them no formula has come out their noses or sneezed. No clicking when breathing. The picture is of when he was turning soft then into diarrhea. It's clear/grayish,lil bit of brown runny mucus now. I've been giving him warm cloth baths every feeding. I'm going out to search for a gram scale again today. He is very energetic about eating. Just to be clear I have him on the brats mix right now to try and firm him up. There are no worms in his poop and it doesn't smell bad either

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Loudhouse2:

redwuff (08-27-2017), UDoWhat (08-27-2017)

I have had babies with green poo on occasion. I have to tell you I am still not sure what caused it. I had given blue Pedialye so I blamed it on that. For now I wouldn't worry. It may clear up shortly. Just watch it for now.

Thanks for saving these little ones. They are adorable. And yes, a gram kitchen scale is a must. We measure how much to feed, monitor growth, dose meds, and a lot more by the baby' weight. A scale can be purchased at places like WalMart or Target.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

Loudhouse2 (08-27-2017), redwuff (08-27-2017)

Her poop is golden brown. I tried at Walmart and they were sold out. Gonna go to another one today to find a scale. I understand how important the scale is and have been trying to get one. I've been watching theirs bellys for fullness and making sure it's slimmed down before next feedings. They are such little characters. Lona is feisty and loves to play. Lincoln is a cuddler and purrs when I pick him up. It hilarious. He also grunts and chatters when I take to long with refilling his syringe.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Loudhouse2 from:

redwuff (08-27-2017)

I was thinking of getting canned pumpkin and pepto to try and firm up Lincolns poop. Any advice on how much to give on either of those or should I leave I'm be on the brats diet with extra hydration?

Quote Originally Posted by Loudhouse2 View Post
    Her poop is golden brown. I tried at Walmart and they were sold out. Gonna go to another one today to find a scale. I understand how important the scale is and have been trying to get one. I've been watching theirs bellys for fullness and making sure it's slimmed down before next feedings. They are such little characters. Lona is feisty and loves to play. Lincoln is a cuddler and purrs when I pick him up. It hilarious. He also grunts and chatters when I take to long with refilling his syringe.
    They look good. You are doing great !! I would stick with the BRAC diet. Maybe start Pepto. I have never had a lot of luck with Pepto but others have. Won't hurt to try. Others have had better luck with Kaopectate. Remember it will turn the stools black. That is normal. We need to dose the meds by weight. I will try to guess their weight. I really don't like to guess with meds. But......

Get the oral suspension Kaopectate. Should say 90grams/fluid ounce on the front. I am going to guess weight at 125 grams which is on the low side I am sure, but I don't want to over estimate.

I would give 0.25 ml. For reference that is about 2 drops. You can give 4 x per day. If the diarrhea firms up them stop the Kao. If no improvement by day 2 you should re-evaluate.

I wouldn't start pumpkin. Too many new foods can cause trouble in the GI tract.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to UDoWhat from:

Loudhouse2 (08-27-2017)

Thank you. I will get the kaopectate. And I'm determined to find a kitchen scale today even if I have to travel to sourounding towns.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Loudhouse2 from:

UDoWhat (08-27-2017)

Thank you. I will get the kaopectate. And I'm determined to find a kitchen scale today even if I have to travel to sourounding towns.
    I don't know where you are but stores like Bed, Bath and Beyond, a kitchen and bath store have them too sometimes. Grocery stores may have them too.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to UDoWhat from:

Loudhouse2 (08-27-2017)

I have him on the rehydration mix minus the salt but he doesn't like it much. Any other water ideas? Maybe coconut water or something. I'm trying not to over stress him and he is getting pretty irritated with me over the stuff I have now. Any ideas on how to make it more appealing. I know to much sugar or sweeteners can worsen the diarrhea

Should the kaopectate be administered with the formula, yogurt or just by itself? All they had was the peppermint flavored is that ok?

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Loudhouse2 from:

redwuff (08-27-2017)

Should the kaopectate be administered with the formula, yogurt or just by itself? All they had was the peppermint flavored is that ok?
    Sorry a busy day and evening doing baby intake. Two more on the way. I would get it over with and give the 2 little drops all at once. He may not like peppermint flavor but it will be over in the time it takes to give 2 drops.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Loudhouse2 (08-27-2017)

It's the adult kind I couldn't find children's. Did I get the wrong kind?

The adult kind is the correct one ! Remember only 2 small drops.

Thank you and good luck with your new babies!!!

Thank you and good luck with your new babies!!!
    Thanks, not here yet. Soon I hope.

Talking Re: Help with 2 5 week old grey squirrels

UPDATE:
    (Knock on wood) Lona is pooping good again and Lincolns 💩 is firming up. I got a scale last night. Lona is 139g and Lincoln is 148g. My order of FV 20/50 and the ultra boost should come in today. They both are energetic and vocal today. I also got strawberry/banana yobaby yogurt to mix in formula. Lona likes it so much she purred and dashed around waiting for her turn the latched on to my hand and wouldn't let go while eating. I'm so happy they're feeling better and want to give a big thank you for all the help!!!