PDA

View Full Version : Respiratory issue adult squirrel.

Truexjr-fanNY
01-19-2016, 11:01 AM
I have an adult, approx. 4 yrs. old with some kind of respiratory issues. He has tooth issues and was just in for a tooth trim, and the vet said, she saw nothing in his mouth to be concerned with, just routine tooth trim. He has only top teeth, front teeth on the bottom are bud like. He sounds like he has a stuffed up nose, and when he breathes, you can see his stomach going in and out. He has had this for at least 2 weeks, and I tried Baytril for about 7 days, and saw no improvement. I waited maybe 4 days, and then thought to try clavamox, which he is on now 2x a day. Day to day, it changes. Some days, he sounds very stuffy, difficult to breathe and other days, like today, not as much. He is indoors this Winter, and sleeps a lot in his nest box, which I change the bedding often. He is eating Henry's blocks, 2-3 a day, and he eats them all, plus veggies, NO nuts. He eats tangerines, and kale, so I know his diet is good. He's a little on the Porky side, he weighs 2 lbs.
He is not in the biggest cage, I just do not have the room inside, but he has enough room to jump up on his limb and move around. As I said, he is eating and drinking. Once back in the beginning, I did see a little white mucous from his nose, and a little wet in the corner of his eyes, but have not seen that in well over a week., Should I take him in for an x-ray? An x-ray of just his head or his whole body? Any thoughts, and suggestions will be very much appreciated.
I have to Thank Island Rehabber, my good friend for always being my support. I rely on her for all my squirrel help. She's the BEST, and I am blessed she is my friend.
I just thought maybe to put this out there, and see what you all think.
Thanks.

CritterMom
01-19-2016, 11:26 AM
I hate to bring it up, but can you get head x-rays to see if there is something bad going on with those top teeth (odontoma)?

DarkLies212
01-19-2016, 12:46 PM
I hate to bring it up, but can you get head x-rays to see if there is something bad going on with those top teeth (odontoma)?

After so many recent squirrels with this issue, that was my first thought as well

island rehabber
01-19-2016, 12:51 PM
Sorry Barb...sounds as if we're all thinking the same thing. (That's what I told her, too. ) :grouphug

BTW, her boy is one of the biggest, shiniest, blackest, handsomest squirrels you'll ever want to see. :)

Chickenlegs
01-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Awwwwww--I want to see a picture of that gorgeous boy!

DarkLies212
01-19-2016, 01:45 PM
Sorry Barb...sounds as if we're all thinking the same thing. (That's what I told her, too. ) :grouphug

BTW, her boy is one of the biggest, shiniest, blackest, handsomest squirrels you'll ever want to see. :)

Pictures? :grin2 :poke

Truexjr-fanNY
01-20-2016, 09:12 AM
Thank You all for your input. I have an appointment Monday morning for some x-rays. Praying it might be something else. His breathing last couple days can hardly be heard, I have to get right up to him to hear the stuffy sound. I am keeping him on the Clavamox, you just never know, I am trying to stay with positive thoughts, but will deal with what comes. I would NOT opt for any kind of surgery, I think that would be traumatic, and would not put him through that. I have a friend who had a Prairie Dog with odontoma and she opted for some steroids, when needed, to reduce swelling, and her PD lived with quality for many months. I know steroids are not a cure, and can also cause side effects, but they might be worth a try if the diagnosis is odontoma. I will take one day at a time, but will never let him suffer.
Thanks again for all your replies. I will keep you all posted.

Nancy in New York
01-20-2016, 09:17 AM
Thank You all for your input. I have an appointment Monday morning for some x-rays. Praying it might be something else. His breathing last couple days can hardly be heard, I have to get right up to him to hear the stuffy sound. I am keeping him on the Clavamox, you just never know, I am trying to stay with positive thoughts, but will deal with what comes. I would NOT opt for any kind of surgery, I think that would be traumatic, and would not put him through that. I have a friend who had a Prairie Dog with odontoma and she opted for some steroids, when needed, to reduce swelling, and her PD lived with quality for many months. I know steroids are not a cure, and can also cause side effects, but they might be worth a try if the diagnosis is odontoma. I will take one day at a time, but will never let him suffer.
Thanks again for all your replies. I will keep you all posted.

I KNOW you will always do the right thing for this "little" one.
He is very lucky to have found his way to you Barb. :Love_Icon

Chickenlegs
01-20-2016, 01:12 PM
Kisses on his sweet head. I hope the problem can be resolved without surgery. You know him better than anybody else and he knows you'll do right by him :Love_Icon

Truexjr-fanNY
01-21-2016, 02:50 PM
Thank You Nancy and Chickenlegs. Woody is such a good boy, so easy going, so accommodating with anything that comes his way. Today he was more interested in being out of his nest box and having some Henry's blocks and some kale, and watching me do some cooking. One day at a time, and hope for the best. Hugs to all of you for all your support and good vibes.
He got those kisses on his head today.

SammysMom
01-21-2016, 03:03 PM
:grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug

Nancy in New York
01-22-2016, 05:20 PM
Thank You Nancy and Chickenlegs. Woody is such a good boy, so easy going, so accommodating with anything that comes his way. Today he was more interested in being out of his nest box and having some Henry's blocks and some kale, and watching me do some cooking. One day at a time, and hope for the best. Hugs to all of you for all your support and good vibes.
He got those kisses on his head today.
:hug:Love_Icon:hug