Thread: Questions About Preparing, Using, & Storing FORMULA (Esbilac, etc.)

Default Questions About Preparing, Using, & Storing FORMULA (Esbilac, etc.)

I apologise if this information is all in one place on the site and I just haven't found it yet. I'm hoping some of you will be willing to answer a few questions I have about formula.

Here's what I *think* I know about formula (please correct me if any of this is inaccurate):

- The correct Esbilac powder is the one in this photo: Name:  ScreenGrab-Esbilac-cansWeb.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  179.0 KB
    One will know it's correct because there will be a white puppy on the label and the third ingredient will be: "Dried Whey Protein Concentrate". If the label does not say "Now with prebiotics & probiotics", it is still the correct Esbilac powder as long as the third ingredient is: "Dried Whey Protein Concentrate".

- Liquid Esbilac (which comes in a can) should never be used for squirrels as it can cause diarrhea (which can be fatal).

- Never use any type of kitten formula for squirrels!

- Esbilac powder (as well as Fox Valley powder or any other formula in powder form) should never be mixed with Pedialyte, Gatorade or anything similar (only plain water!).

- Distilled water should not be used to mix formula. Only tap water or still bottled water (no carbonation!).

- Formula needs to be heated prior to feeding - squirrels should never be fed cold formula. The same goes for Pedialyte, honey water, etc. - these liquids need to be warmed up before they are given to a squirrel.

- There should not be any air bubbles in the formula.

- Formula should not be heated up in a microwave.

- Formula may be reheated if necessary during a feeding, but once heated, formula should NOT be refrigerated or reused later.

- It is very important to wipe any excess formula off the squirrel's fur and skin to avoid "milk burn".

My Questions:

- What ratio of Esbilac powder to water should be used? Is it one part Esbilac powder to two parts water? What if the squirrel has no fur (is a "pinkie")?

- How hot should the water be when mixing it with the powder? Warm? Very hot? Boiling?

- What temperature should the formula be heated to prior to feeding? 100℉? Cooler? Hotter?

- What's the best way to keep the formula in the syringes warm while feeding?

- What is the best way to mix formula (to avoid air bubbles, etc.)? Is there a particular container that's best to do this in? Other tips/tricks?

- How can one make sure there are no air bubbles in the syringes that are filled with formula?

- How long should the prepared formula be refrigerated prior to using?

- How long does the prepared formula (which has never been heated) stay good in the refrigerator?

- How should Esbilac powder be stored? How long is it good for after the canister has been opened?

- What's the best way to clean syringes & nipples? How often should they be cleaned? Do they need to be completely dry before using them again?

Thanks in advance for any and all information & tips!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ekorre from:

Nancy in New York (03-23-2017)

Default Re: Questions About Preparing, Using, & Storing FORMULA (Esbilac, etc.)

My Questions:

- What ratio of Esbilac powder to water should be used? Is it one part Esbilac powder to two parts water? What if the squirrel has no fur (is a "pinkie")?

correct...... 1:2 (Esbilac to Water)

- How hot should the water be when mixing it with the powder? Warm? Very hot? Boiling?

Hot....... squirrels do not like to drink cold formula

- What temperature should the formula be heated to prior to feeding? 100℉? Cooler? Hotter?

I heat my water to boiling then mix it with the powder

place several syringes in a cup of warm water...... or place formula in a cup and place cup on bottle / cup warmer

- What is the best way to mix formula (to avoid air bubbles, etc.)? Is there a particular container that's best to do this in? Other tips/tricks?

I have a video I made..... I will attach it's link

- How can one make sure there are no air bubbles in the syringes that are filled with formula?

tap on the syringe to get rid of bubbles, and push out the bubbles as you tab & push the syringe.

a few hours to let it settle

- How long does the prepared formula (which has never been heated) stay good in the refrigerator?

a good 3 days, but it never last that long

- How should Esbilac powder be stored? How long is it good for after the canister has been opened?

I store in the frig....... has lasted 3 months with no issues

- What's the best way to clean syringes & nipples? How often should they be cleaned? Do they need to be completely dry before using them again?

boil in hot water and wash in hot soap water with small amount of bleach - use dry or wet

Thanks in advance for any and all information & tips!

[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/QUOTE]

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rhapsody:

cava (09-08-2016), Ekorre (09-10-2016)

Yes, 1 part powder to 2 parts water although for pinkies you can start off with a 1 part powder to 3 parts water and gradually work up to full strength.

Hot but not boiling water is best.

I may be wrong but I think it's 101-103 degrees.

Different schools of thought on this one. I personally microwave a cup of water for a minute and fill a shot glass with formula and let it sit to warm up and I just draw up enough for each feeding but I usually don't have more than 2 or 3 babies at a time. A cup warmer under the cup will help maintain the water temp for larger feedings.

I prefer glass containers to plastic. I measure out the powder and add just enough water to make it like a thick cake batter so that I can see the clumps better. I mix this well and continue adding the remaining water in small amounts mixing well after each addition.

Fill the syringe before adding the nipple.

4 hours and stir again before each feeding.

I don't use formula after 24 hours from preparation. This is just easier for me to keep up with instead of remembering which day I made it up.

I keep mine in the freezer. I am not sure but I think it states on the can how long it can be stored. I usually run out so it's never been an issue.

Hot soapy water and clean after each feeding. I keep a container of soapy water to throw them in after feedings as a pre-soak and then wash a batch up as needed. I prefer to use them when they are dry but I don't think it's a big issue.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ALittleNutty:

cava (09-08-2016), Ekorre (09-10-2016)

Here is the link to my video - Preparing Esbilac
    http://youtu.be/OVnjiYm94XU

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rhapsody from:

Ekorre (09-10-2016)

Gardentoes11 Guest

I also store my Esbilac in the freezer. As far as cleaning the nipples & syringes goes, I just use warm soapy water & a brush designed for cleaning cake decorating tips. Looks like this: http://www.kitchenworksinc.com/Decor...WQlxoCEo7w_wcB. As a former cake decorator, I happened to have one sitting in a drawer, and it quickly became my favorite squirrel feeding tool, along with my tiny wire whisk that I use for mixing formula. I imagine you guys have similar things in the UK.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Gardentoes11 from:

Ekorre (09-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekorre View Post
    I apologise if this information is all in one place on the site and I just haven't found it yet. I'm hoping some of you will be willing to answer a few questions I have about formula.

I use a hand blender, like this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/15758914?...&wl13=&veh=sem Best to mix it in a tall glass or mason jar, or steep-sided bowl so you don't end up with formula on the walls or cupboards

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RiverSong from:

Ekorre (09-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverSong View Post
    I use a hand blender, like this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/15758914?...&wl13=&veh=sem Best to mix it in a tall glass or mason jar, or steep-sided bowl so you don't end up with formula on the walls or cupboards
    I may be wrong, but wouldn't using a blender add in too many air bubbles? Curious about this method

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DarkLies212 from:

Ekorre (09-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLies212 View Post
    I may be wrong, but wouldn't using a blender add in too many air bubbles? Curious about this method
    I would wonder about that too. Maybe they would dissipate after sitting for hours? It takes me all of 3 minutes to mix up formula with a small whisk or spatula.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ALittleNutty:

DarkLies212 (09-09-2016), Ekorre (09-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLies212 View Post
    I keep the blender at the bottom of the glass or bowl and use a low/slow setting, and yes, there are some bubbles but they all rise to the top of the glass. I should have elaborated in my first post so I'm glad you mentioned it! Once the formula's completely mixed, I use the syringe to draw the fluid from the bottom of the glass or bowl. As long as the tip of the syringe is placed down far enough, it doesn't draw air, just fluid. Same method as when you draw up liquid antibiotics.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RiverSong from:

Ekorre (09-10-2016)

I put mine in a jam jar and shake the crap out of it. I also store them in that in the fridge and they are little enough to still be able to get to the bottom with a syringe. You have to open the lid after the first few shakes to let air build up out, though.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Ekorre (09-10-2016)

All of this information is very helpful!

for taking the time to answer my questions (I have a lot of them!)

I'm gathering as much information as I can about caring for squirrels (babies in particular) and there is just so much to learn!

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ekorre from:

ALittleNutty (09-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    Here is the link to my video - Preparing Esbilac
    http://youtu.be/OVnjiYm94XU
    That video is great, thanks!

The "Formula Mixer Bottle" has sold out at Squirrels & More: https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/col...nt=19013646727 and I wasn't able to find it on the Henry's Healthy Pets website. Does anyone know where else it might be available?

Quote Originally Posted by Ekorre View Post
    That video is great, thanks!

The "Formula Mixer Bottle" has sold out at Squirrels & More: https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/col...nt=19013646727 and I wasn't able to find it on the Henry's Healthy Pets website. Does anyone know where else it might be available?

Here you go. OR google blender bottles.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...lender+bottles

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Ekorre (09-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Here you go. OR google blender bottles.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...lender+bottles
    Thanks!

I just found it on Amazon UK.