Thread: Possible Pox outbreak in St Pete, FL

Hybrid View

JessicaLynn Guest

Default Re: Possible Pox outbreak in St Pete, FL

Thank you, lili!

I'll definitely check it out; anything that might help is so very much appreciated. I know the lengths you will go for your babies, I'm always so happy to hear that there are others out there with such big hearts. I know that I'm in for a struggle, especially after last night's fiasco with Jr (although he may have just been playing me- he knows how to wrap me around those adorable little toes...). I may usually be a spectator here, but I've learned everything from you all. I'd love to be able to contribute, so I hope both the outcome and the research proves positive and useful!

I have a few in the land lab where I work that have sores and scratching. They aren't friendly but are taking the e water and meds pretty well with some nutella. They will come close enough for me to make sure they are eating their meds and seem to be improving over the past week. They all appear to be young I think they are possibly siblings. They get friendlier daily and I think the nutella really is helping in that. I have built a feeder for them and am giving them some of my boo balls in there in the mornings so that they are getting good nutrition while fighting this. There are about 6 of them all male. We are in Gibsonton so you know for your research.
    Susan

Mother of 1 human, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a mocking bird (released), a tank of freshwater fish,52 squirrels since 2010(released), 1 oppossum (released), and room for more babies !!!

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrellyMom
    I have a few in the land lab where I work that have sores and scratching. They aren't friendly but are taking the e water and meds pretty well with some nutella. They will come close enough for me to make sure they are eating their meds and seem to be improving over the past week. They all appear to be young I think they are possibly siblings. They get friendlier daily and I think the nutella really is helping in that. I have built a feeder for them and am giving them some of my boo balls in there in the mornings so that they are getting good nutrition while fighting this. There are about 6 of them all male. We are in Gibsonton so you know for your research.
    what meds if you don't mind me asking...
    I have been trying to find the perfect solution to help these littles get well as fast as possible...
    the longer they wait for meds, it seems the worse they get..and I hate when they disappear
    thanks for helping them!

JessicaLynn Guest

SquirrellyMom, thanks for helping! It's definitely good to know. I'm interested in your meds and dosing as well. I know pics might be tough, but it could help us compare progression in these cuties.

I'm still looking for Nystatin. It might be right under our noses. Anyone that's had dental work, thrush, any type of fungal infection, might have access to it. I though I had some for my dog, but was mistaken. Ironically, the name sounded familiar because I had to memorize the drug's mechanism for school a few weeks ago. :/ Has there been any research or experimentation with OTC derivatives of this drug? Monistat sounds like the closest one, but I wonder how other antifungals would perform and which would be safe. Mice are usually used in initial trials, so does that mean that squirrels would be okay? Jackie and 4skwerlz, this would be a wonderful time to start looking through journal articles; this should be an easier question to answer than the major one at hand. I'll contact the chemists I know, and we're gonna find some answers, you can bet your cute little paw prints!

JessicaLynn Guest

Oh goodness, I got carried away... I wanted to report in! This morning, after making me climb up on the garage again (the things we do...), Jr came in along with Steve!!! I had to make my way through the backyard with them chasing each other on me. It killed, but I was glad they had it in them!

Steve took Acyclovir almost willingly, and the Baytril was pretty easy as well. He was too excited to stay still for long, so I didn't get an exact weight. It seems that he's about 490g, 20g heavier than Jr, but that may be an underestimate. I gave him dbl the dosage of Jr because I'm not sure if he'll come home tonight. He still has a bump on his ear but it's not getting dark like Jr's yet. There's also one on his back now, just starting.

Jr refused Nutella even though he wanted the whole jar yesterday (I practically had to fight him for it!). We did oral syringes again and, while he did put up a bit of a fight, we definitely had an easier time today. He was completely fine and loving afterwards, so I don't believe this is causing him much stress.

In the future, I'll keep the long documentation to myself and give you guys the important stuff, if that's better. I'm still trying to figure out the cleanest way to take these notes. Yep, I'm a bit of a dork.

I have the Nystatin powder here. If you want it, just PM me with your address information. It is early enough in the month that I have a few $$$ to pay for mailing it to you.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaLynn
    In the future, I'll keep the long documentation to myself and give you guys the important stuff, if that's better. I'm still trying to figure out the cleanest way to take these notes. Yep, I'm a bit of a dork.
    Please continue with the long documentation! All of this info is IMO extremely valuable: day-by-day observations of the progress and appearance of the lesions, trouble with dosing and any tricks that work, how sqs handle the stress of treatment, etc., etc. I don't think there can be too much detail. Need pics too.

This thread will be a big help to the next person trying to treat backyard sqs with pox.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

lilidukes Guest

I agree with Leigh maybe you talking out loud can give others ideas that may help

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.