Thread: 8 week old grey squirrel

Default 8 week old grey squirrel

Squiggy is 8 weeks old and is still nursing and has been introduced to Henry's squirrel blocks along with some appropriate fresh veggies. Should she also have rodent blocks or monkey blocks as an option in addition to the frozen blocks from Henry's? Looking for more feedback on introducing her daily diet as she begins to want less formula.Thanks.

Default Re: 8 week old grey squirrel

She does not have to have other block in addition to her Henry's, but it is okay. Be aware that if you stop the Henry's the other block will need to be 80% of her diet.

The first and only solid introduced should be the block (Henry's in this case). Only introduce vegetables only after she is eating the block well.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Squiggy (09-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    She does not have to have other block in addition to her Henry's, but it is okay. Be aware that if you stop the Henry's the other block will need to be 80% of her diet.

The first and only solid introduced should be the block (Henry's in this case). Only introduce vegetables only after she is eating the block well.
    Also, how often should I offer her the formula? I have only found information for up to 7-8 weeks at every 5 hours?

And since she is so young, I've been told and have read that I should wait until Spring to release her. Is that accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggy View Post
    Also, how often should I offer her the formula? I have only found information for up to 7-8 weeks at every 5 hours?
    Offer it 3 times a day... and if she will not take 3 times a day, should take it at least 2 times a day at her age I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggy View Post
    And since she is so young, I've been told and have read that I should wait until Spring to release her. Is that accurate?

I believe that is accurate for Illinois, especially the northern part? Since she is a singleton overwintering would be an advantage... groups raised and released together tend to spend that first winter all together.

This is random but can I give my 5-7 week old squirrel baytril from chewy.com

Quote Originally Posted by KatherineMartinez View Post
    This is random but can I give my 5-7 week old squirrel baytril from chewy.com
    Yes.. very random. You will find that you will need a prescription to buy Baytril from Chewy; they will ask for the script info at checkout.

Why do you want to give your squirrel Baytril? If he has Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) he cannot wait until the on-line order arrives (days)... he will nee d to start treatment in hours... the sooner the better.