Thread: Help...does baby squirrel look bloated??? (Pics)

Question Help...does baby squirrel look bloated??? (Pics)

He hasn't been going poop after every feeding. I have been giving him some apple juice with water. He won't drink straight water. I don't know what to do! I don't want to give him anymore milk to make the existing constipation worse.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Help...does baby squirrel look bloated??? (Pics)

It looks like “he” is a “she” from those pics.

Have you tried holding her in some warm water up to her chest and gently massaging her belly in a downward motion? Give her a couple of drops of infant gas X (simethicone) for bloat. The diluted apple juice is good and should help with constipation, if that’s what it is. You can also rub a little coconut oil on the rectum to help lubricate it.

I’m not sure what the history is but sometimes it takes a little while for them to ingest enough food to produce poop when they’ve been away from mom for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’m not sure what the history is
    Sam21 has several different recent threads, maybe they could be consolidated into one for clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    It looks like “he” is a “she” from those pics.

Have you tried holding her in some warm water up to her chest and gently massaging her belly in a downward motion? Give her a couple of drops of infant gas X (simethicone) for bloat. The diluted apple juice is good and should help with constipation, if that’s what it is. You can also rub a little coconut oil on the rectum to help lubricate it.

I’m not sure what the history is but sometimes it takes a little while for them to ingest enough food to produce poop when they’ve been away from mom for awhile.
    Thank you. And wow, whole time I thought it was a boy haha. She did poop after I massaged her in warm water. But I have to do this pretty much every time. She did go on her own but I guess now she needs help. I give her the fox valley 20/50 now..maybe it's not enough water..I do one tablespoon of the powder and 2 tablespoons of the water.. she doesn't drink it all ..i give her up to 9cc and store the rest of the formula in the fridge. She's 140 grams and 5 weeks old. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam21 View Post
    Thank you. And wow, whole time I thought it was a boy haha. She did poop after I massaged her in warm water. But I have to do this pretty much every time. She did go on her own but I guess now she needs help. I give her the fox valley 20/50 now..maybe it's not enough water..I do one tablespoon of the powder and 2 tablespoons of the water.. she doesn't drink it all ..i give her up to 9cc and store the rest of the formula in the fridge. She's 140 grams and 5 weeks old. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    Are you mixing the formula up at least 4 hours (preferably 8 hours) before feeding? It takes quite a few hours (overnight) for the powder to more fully dissolve which makes it more digestible for baby squirrels. It can be kept in the refrigerator for 2 days (48 hours) after mixing it up.

I use a shaker bottle with a "spring ball". I use the hottest water from my tap (180 degrees F or so) and add the powder to that. Then shake it at least 100 times. I then let it sit about 45 minutes to an hour, shaking every 15 minutes or more before refrigerating.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Rock Monkey (05-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Are you mixing the formula up at least 4 hours (preferably 8 hours) before feeding? It takes quite a few hours (overnight) for the powder to more fully dissolve which makes it more digestible for baby squirrels. It can be kept in the refrigerator for 2 days (48 hours) after mixing it up.

I use a shaker bottle with a "spring ball". I use the hottest water from my tap (180 degrees F or so) and add the powder to that. Then shake it at least 100 times. I then let it sit about 45 minutes to an hour, shaking every 15 minutes or more before refrigerating.

I was doing that but thought that maybe the milk was thickening too much which was causing the constipation...

The fox valley can't be given right after mixing ? I know the esbilac did but thought fox valley was different since it said on the package to feed soon after mixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam21 View Post
    I was doing that but thought that maybe the milk was thickening too much which was causing the constipation...

The fox valley can't be given right after mixing ? I know the esbilac did but thought fox valley was different since it said on the package to feed soon after mixing.
    Best to mix formula hours ahead, regardless if it is Esbilac, Fox Valley and / or Zoologic. I'll keep it up to 36 hours in the fridge, but rarely does it last that long (lots of mouths to feed).