Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young southern flying squirrel

Default Young southern flying squirrel

Hey everyone! I'm going to try this again! I never pressed submit and it all disappeared. My cats brought in a baby flying squirrel last night. I didn't even know they were around here. He seems okay on the outside but I'm worried about internal issues. Should I release him tonight or keep an eye on him for a couple more days? He's very friendly and he did eat some grapes last night. It's all I had and it says that they eat them online.. I'm not sure if they got them from my backyard or not we have woods all around us. But for the past few months I have been hearing a different animal noise in the trees. I did look it up today and listened to their sound and it is the same sound. I'd love to keep him because he's so adorable! I also know he's wild it needs to go back. It is wrong to keep them right? LOL

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen_n_GA from:

RockyPops (11-20-2019)

Default Re: Young southern flying squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Jen_n_GA View Post
    Hey everyone! I'm going to try this again! I never pressed submit and it all disappeared. My cats brought in a baby flying squirrel last night. I didn't even know they were around here. He seems okay on the outside but I'm worried about internal issues. Should I release him tonight or keep an eye on him for a couple more days? He's very friendly and he did eat some grapes last night. It's all I had and it says that they eat them online.. I'm not sure if they got them from my backyard or not we have woods all around us. But for the past few months I have been hearing a different animal noise in the trees. I did look it up today and listened to their sound and it is the same sound. I'd love to keep him because he's so adorable! I also know he's wild it needs to go back. It is wrong to keep them right? LOL

Any squirrel that is cat caught should be treated with antibiotics. It can be nearly impossible to tell if there is a puncture or scratch, even for the most experienced and cat saliva is simply lethal to a squirrel.

Can you post a picture of him? Does his fur look kind of "greasy" (usually indicates an adolescent squirrel)?

What general area of GA are you located?

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

frankc (11-20-2019), jbtartell (11-21-2019), RockyPops (11-20-2019)

I'm in North Georgia. Gainesville. I'm trying to upload the picture but it keeps saying that I don't have permission to do it.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen_n_GA from:

RockyPops (11-20-2019)

I sent you a PM with my e-mail address... if you send the pictures to that address I will post them to your thread.

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Diggie's Friend (11-20-2019), frankc (11-20-2019), Jen_n_GA (11-20-2019), RockyPops (11-20-2019)

Here are the pics:

Name:  IMG_14771.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  20191119_193236.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  141.0 KB

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

RockyPops (11-20-2019)

I'm in North Georgia. Gainesville. I'm trying to upload the picture but it keeps saying that I don't have permission to do it.
    You are fully registered now, you should be able to.
    Refresh your screen and try it again.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Jen_n_GA (11-20-2019), Nancy in New York (11-20-2019), RockyPops (11-20-2019), Spanky (11-20-2019)

In that second picture it looks more like an adolescent than in the first picture... unless that happens to be a "wet spot" on her back? Any chance you can weigh her on a kitchen scale? The weight will help with any medication dosing and also maybe assist in determining if this is an adult or adolescent.

Do you have any antibiotics in the medicine cabinet? If yes, tell us what you might have and someone will advise if it is effective for treating possible cat bites and we'll help with dosing.

I am not far from Gainesville (Lake Hartwell) if needed.

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Jen_n_GA (11-20-2019), Nancy in New York (11-20-2019), RockyPops (11-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    In that second picture it looks more like an adolescent than in the first picture... unless that happens to be a "wet spot" on her back? Any chance you can weigh her on a kitchen scale? The weight will help with any medication dosing and also maybe assist in determining if this is an adult or adolescent.

Do you have any antibiotics in the medicine cabinet? If yes, tell us what you might have and someone will advise if it is effective for treating possible cat bites and we'll help with dosing.

I am not far from Gainesville (Lake Hartwell) if needed.

31 grams

I have...
    Doxycycline and Amoxicillin both in caplets
    Penicillin in a pill
    Azithromycin liquid

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen_n_GA from:

RockyPops (11-20-2019)

Jen, you have an awkward situation here. You really have no idea where the cat found the baby. Cats hunt so it might not be from your yard. Another problem is the cat mouth. It is standard practice to treat all babies that are cat caught. You might not see an injury at all but if there is the tiniest puncture it will cause an infection. These infections can be pretty bad. The baby does need antibiotics. Do you have any? We can dose it for you. If not, you should definitely link up with Spanky as he will have antibiotics. By the time the antibiotics are complete, the likelihood of reuniting with the mom will be reduced. Actually I fear even trying to reunite would go bad. If the baby decides to climb the tree out of your reach and it doesn’t find mom it’s survival alone is almost zero. Flyers are colony dwellers. They don’t live alone. Their survival depends on the colony especially in the winter. Their body mass is so small they will actually freeze if the temperature gets below 32 for an extended time if they are alone. I sadly remember one of our members picking up frozen flyers in Texas.

Releasing flyers is a bit more complicated than releasing grey squirrels. Single grey squirrels can be released by themselves. Flyers have to be released as part of a group. We never release singleton flyers. In the spring or summer the best option is to find a rehabber with a colony of flyers to incorporate a singleton into the group. The problem now is that winter is approaching and it is unlikely you will find a rehabber with a colony. You could try but I’m not optimistic about finding anything at this time.

As far as your last statement, “I know he’s wild and needs to go back. It is wrong to keep them, right?”
    The answer is usually YES, YES, YES! If wildlife is healthy, they should always be rehabbed for release. Those with disabilities that can’t survive in nature are often kept as non-releases (pets). Every attempt is made to give NR animals a good quality life. It is often a challenge.

Now to your situation. You can not release this little one. It would be certain death. Flyers are very different from grey squirrels. Grey squirrels make lousy pets. Flyers actually do make great pets. They bond tightly to their human so they do make good pets for the committed person. I usually do not recommend that people get flyers because most don’t understand the commitment. You do realize that they are nocturnal? That means they sleep all day long and are awake at night. Most people aren’t nocturnal but you can make it work. They are expensive to own. The diet is complex and expensive. I swear I could feed a Great Dane for what I spend on two flyers. Owning a flying squirrel is illegal in many states so finding vet care is difficult. I’m not sure about GA but I suspect it is illegal. Ga is a tough state. TSB knows where the safe vets are so that shouldn’t be a deal breaker. In illegal states you have to be careful about who knows you have a flyer. You never discuss it on social media. Game wardens troll FB looking for wildlife in the hands of the public.

It is difficult to get a sitter for your flyer if you need to travel. Only people you know VERY well and can follow directions are suitable sitters.
    I’m not trying to talk you out of keeping the little guy as a pet. I just want you to know what you’re getting into. It is a big commitment but a very rewarding one. They are so sweet and I love them dearly. I have seen so many flyers that were taken into a home as a pet and then later on they want to rehome the animal because it wasn’t what they expected. That always makes me sad.

If you think you’re up to it, yes, you can keep him as a pet.

18. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

frankc (11-20-2019), Jen_n_GA (11-20-2019), Mel1959 (11-24-2019), RockyPops (11-20-2019), stepnstone (11-21-2019)

What is the concentration (mg) of the Doxycycline? That will work.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RockyPops (11-20-2019)

Based on an age chart we have, the baby is about 35 days old.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-and-age/page3

22. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

frankc (11-20-2019), Jen_n_GA (11-20-2019), RockyPops (11-20-2019)

He's up and ready to eat. I bought sweet potato, apple, sugar snap peas and have grapes and pine nuts. What should I feed him?

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen_n_GA from:

RockyPops (11-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    What is the concentration (mg) of the Doxycycline? That will work.
    It's 100mg

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen_n_GA from:

RockyPops (11-20-2019)

Give me a minute to calculate this.

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Jen_n_GA (11-20-2019), RockyPops (11-20-2019)

Jen, do you have a 1cc syringe?
    I’m going to send dosing in a Private Message.

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Jen_n_GA (11-20-2019), RockyPops (11-20-2019)

It is difficult to get a sitter for your flyer if you need to travel. Only people you know VERY well and can follow directions are suitable sitters.
    I’m not trying to talk you out of keeping the little guy as a pet. I just want you to know what you’re getting into. It is a big commitment but a very rewarding one. They are so sweet and I love them dearly. I have seen so many flyers that were taken into a home as a pet and then later on they want to rehome the animal because it wasn’t what they expected. That always makes me sad.

If you think you’re up to it, yes, you can keep him as a pet.
    I don't work so the night thing won't be a problem at all. My parents and my brother live near me so babysitters are taken care of. They will be able to come here. My brother lives nextdoor so he will get to know them well.

Right now he is in a small hamster cage because we had it on hand but he definitely needs something bigger. What is the best thing for him? We can also make a cage if needed.

What is the best way to get him comfortable with us? I don't want to scare him but we need to get to know each other.

What type of food should I get for him?

I keep calling it a him but can you tell at this age what sex they are?

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen_n_GA from:

RockyPops (11-20-2019)

Jen, do you have a 1cc syringe?
    I’m going to send dosing in a Private Message.
    I only have syringes that are ml.

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen_n_GA from:

RockyPops (11-20-2019)

Thank you for loving this baby!

36. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

Jen_n_GA (11-20-2019)

I only have syringes that are ml.
    ml is the same as cc.

38. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RockyPops (11-20-2019)

The baby will need formula. You will have to order it but now you can use a temporary formula.
    Goat milk, heavy cream and yogurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast