Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarcoptic Mange desperate situation

Post Sarcoptic Mange desperate situation

Dear rehabbers,
    In 35 years I've never known a Boston Public Garden squirrel to show or survive a case of sarc. mange, usually not sarcoptic at all. It began 1 1/2 weeks ago as dull hair and looked like a few scrapes..nothing abnormal for a 70-20 degree season of moisture, and fungal issues. Suddenly skin thickening, tumors, white barnical crust covered him. No finding Ivirmectin in this area, so ordered it but could not wait. Still never showed up. Went to get it far away and admined a dose Wed. He is STILL alive. I made nutrition balls packed with food he loves..this is NOT a squirrel that can be captive...too long a story but known this 1/2 blind, stump tail alpha for many years,. Constitution of an ox. By Friday more weight loss, but suddenly yesterday big thick lump off. Open pink skin where thick skin was, less hair, hungry, eating, spry...very bald, but tumors looks smaller, climbing up his tree, looks like hell but what do you think? Has the 1st dose allowing him to pick off the mites, open the blisters of larvae...or just scraping due to itching? A second dose, if he makes it, will get the eggs. Is this raw skin a good or bad sign? Is Ivermectin working??? Or is he just ripping skin off??? If ANY squirrel is a survivor it's this guy!!! Again, never seen a case this badly developed and local MA rehabbers I had one simple question blew me off completely, sent email after email of how busy she is..could have answers in one min. Tufts would kill him, everyone does 'baby care' sanctuary's full or won't take adults, risk contagious infest. I was shocked by the NEWARC member that was so uninterested...
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 05-01-2016 at 04:24 PM. Reason: corrected BOG TO boston public garden

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelSense from:

Shewhosweptforest (05-01-2016)

Default Re: Sarcoptic Mange desperate situation

I don't know much about the medical side, but someone should be along soon, to help direct you. Thank you for taking care of this little one.

"BOG"? Is there any chance you could post a picture?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Can you describe EXACTLY how you dosed the Ivermectin? What strength was the ivermectin?

Thanks. I hope your alpha can beat this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonsquirrelygirl View Post
    Dear rehabbers,
    In 35 years I've never known a BOG squirrel to show or survive a case of sarc. mange, usually not sarcoptic at all. It began 1 1/2 weeks ago as dull hair and looked like a few scrapes..nothing abnormal for a 70-20 degree season of moisture, and fungal issues. Suddenly skin thickening, tumors, white barnical crust covered him. No finding Ivirmectin in this area, so ordered it but could not wait. Still never showed up. Went to get it far away and admined a dose Wed. He is STILL alive. I made nutrition balls packed with food he loves..this is NOT a squirrel that can be captive...too long a story but known this 1/2 blind, stump tail alpha for many years,. Constitution of an ox. By Friday more weight loss, but suddenly yesterday big thick lump off. Open pink skin where thick skin was, less hair, hungry, eating, spry...very bald, but tumors looks smaller, climbing up his tree, looks like hell but what do you think? Has the 1st dose allowing him to pick off the mites, open the blisters of larvae...or just scraping due to itching? A second dose, if he makes it, will get the eggs. Is this raw skin a good or bad sign? Is Ivermectin working??? Or is he just ripping skin off??? If ANY squirrel is a survivor it's this guy!!! Again, never seen a case this badly developed and local MA rehabbers I had one simple question blew me off completely, sent email after email of how busy she is..could have answers in one min. Tufts would kill him, everyone does 'baby care' sanctuary's full or won't take adults, risk contagious infest. I was shocked by the NEWARC member that was so uninterested...
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

SquirrelSense (05-04-2016)

What is a BOG squirrel?

Not surprised your not getting any offers of help with what you describe,
    even if you did it would probably have been to euthanize.

As with Pox squirrels I would think the fresh tissue you see after a leaison
    removes is a good sign.

I hope you can get a picture, would really like to see what you are dealing with.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Hi all I have them entire trajectory of this profession on film... From for great he looked this fall and winter to the dry coat a few weeks back to the rapid blisters to the open wounds and emaciated body. I posted to up in my 'pics' but trying to figure out how to put them on this thread!

As far as exactly how much he got, took a toothpick in 1.87# and smeared tiny tiny amount in crease if a pea an each side as his jaws are nut great from the attack they blinded his one eye and he drops a lot making tiny nibbled and leaves the outline of most pieces. Today his energy was way up, but I've seen that end of live bust with.cancer too.
    Below there is an attachment guide It is NIT working well with my devise. Only 2 of these are him. I can't even mane them. In my 'album' younwill see ones of him and the one with the obvious pink skin over his lest eye cataract in his right is a vid of him today I'll try to post photos from a better laptop
    Attached Images Attached Images    

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelSense from:

This is the open fletch bran new most his nody hairless but having horrid time up leading on smart Phone
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sorry about misspellings. I have to get to a real computer to see if I can load images this hand-held device is not allowing. One image isn't enemy him... The third image on the 1st batch is not him. I'll post more in a few hours

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelSense from:

It looks more like mange than Pox in that last pic. He does look pretty ill.

The ivermectin should work? He will need three ivermectin treatments, each dose spaced apart 7-10 days.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Shewhosweptforest (05-01-2016), SquirrelSense (05-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    What is a BOG squirrel?

Not surprised your not getting any offers of help with what you describe,
    even if you did it would probably have been to euthanize.

As with Pox squirrels I would think the fresh tissue you see after a leaison
    removes is a good sign.

I hope you can get a picture, would really like to see what you are dealing with.
    When I'm on a hand-held device it changes my spelling before it sends... BPG not Bog!!
    Boston Public Garden, Boston Common or any of the ones in this small radius packed with squirrels. Started caring for them early 80's when the pesticide used and other issues like dog attacks were instant euthanasia

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelSense from:

One issue with the Squirrel Board... It won't allow a post to be edited after 15 min. By the time I et through the responses and realize the horrible spell-checked mass from a 'smart' phone or tiny pad it's too late.. Again... There is no BOG! It's Boston Public Garden and area

One issue with the Squirrel Board... It won't allow a post to be edited after 15 min. By the time I et through the responses and realize the horrible spell-checked mass from a 'smart' phone or tiny pad it's too late.. Again... There is no BOG! It's Boston Public Garden and area
    Next time, just alert an admin (like me) and we'll be glad to tidy things up for ya.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Next time, just alert an admin (like me) and we'll be glad to tidy things up for ya.
    Finally on a decent computer and keyboard..not that this will guarantee amazing typing..it won!t..I promise..as you become more distracted, eyes over 50 etc, etc and multitask sick animals and humans...I am confident in saying dyslexia increases
    I am too old to live on a phone to talk... NOT the generation texting at break-neck speed in acronyms! Can't say my typing or spelling will be perfect, even good. However but if someone is kind enough to say..what are you trying to say..it will alert me my pathetic post🐿

Default Re: Sarcoptic Mange desperate situation (good news finally)

GOOD NEWS ALL!!!

My Dear CARING squirrel compadres..I am amazed at this myself...our Buddy..(Mr. Winks) to most looks awful. Most days it had taken 20 min of calling to rouse him. Yesterday he had been out to get water presumably from the pond, which is a hike from his new tree. Any water container I could leave near the 4 Seasons would get collected by trash coll. Today he was "Winky on the spot!" Our old energetic alpha..almost. He ran to me immediately and never stooped eating, looking at me, getting more food...super energetic. Just very hairless. ALL the bright red hot spots going away..even large lumps are smaller, Due to wasting ste over this time he is wrinkly..but vast improvement. To us the 'pep in his step', the fresh pink areas he rubbed off the leather like skin I imagine the tubules of live larvae were killed or active/annoying/squirming and dying due to the ivermectin are now tuning that 'oxidized' tan..just as does any fresh burn, rash or scab..areas that looked like new blood bites are rapidly going away. He is very bald, but rather than so weak he was barely ably to chew the homemade super nutrition he came to call ASAP...walked up and down to get repeated feedings and CHOSE the super nutrition homemade over treat shelled pecan, (his fave), for the majority of the feeding. He only stopped as it began to rain and he was always an early to bed in kind of guy..long before others, his squirrely girly friends were out burrowing late. Simply the fact that he is SO energetic, interested on food, (he was to week to scratch or climb without falling over before the ivermectin and 'custom' super nutrition, truly showing increased 2 days of progress, even some signs of self defensive behaviors is light in this darkness! His one good eye now had enough space to open without the thick overhang. sit at the edge of the hole and look at me without breaking eye contact, coming down repeatedly for a hand-feed from mommy, (me). Utterly amazed. Not only alive, and due to his years of showing a will to get thru predicaments much less has killed many others, has him still in the game.

I DO fully realize he is not out of the woods by any stretch. Any secondary infection could claim him. Even too much stain on his organs...but there is hope where there was decline.

Question for ADMIN. I am having a rough time getting together an album of Mr. Winks for a precise succession this disease progress. Where I can label each pic and show the rapid speed and corresponding dates with each image of Mr. Winks condition. and being aware of the "PRE-EXISTING" issues so they are not confused with his current problem..
    He was blinded in his right eye as a juv guessing the familiar off-leash dogs sicced /trained to attack Bost Pub Garden squirrels. Entitled people who wont use the dog run 5 years away in the Common...where 'ordinary people go' the law is posted but totally ignored. I am sure thus contributed to Mr. Winks problems opening or cracking and hard nut. He nibbles, dropping a lot of dust unable to rasp. He learned to trim enough on wood or other hard subs I have witnessed must attacks leading to his stump tail. Last attack bled for months reopening and he tries to roll on his back to catch to clean but cant. Females defer to him..he is uncreadiby a non-threatening male with pregnant and nursing super females. His disabilities make him look 'beat up' but he is tough, smart, gentle with the 3 humans he can trust. These have nothing to do with this mange. Only that he cant see attacking kids and dogs in time. He was likely in a mouth and suffered multiple sensory loss...cant see/hear or sense as well as some when dogs or kids with sticks come up out of nowhere.

(i.e ) I got a call from a person convinced it was pox..it is not pox.

Can the admin help me with getting that together?
    Not only did it never look like POX. From the dried white-ish crusted cracked areas of barnacle patches and spots and leathery skin, huge lumps developing that turned dry as he scratched more hair off...all of the images from squirrel or animals who live longer with sarc. mange like foxes..every expert on Ivermectin was sure its sarc. mange, so id love to shoe the history of this. I have pics, and video

💜🐿💜

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelSense from:

redwuff (05-06-2016)

Yay! I'm so happy to hear this I love your description of Mr. Winks And I'm so thankful and grateful that he has you looking out for him sounds like he's responding to treatment quickly

I would love to see his pics....healthy ones too

I'm not great with the tech aspect of the board...but if I wanted to label a pic I would use my photo app Photogene....it's free on my iPad...any of the photo shop apps would allow you to put info on the pic
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    I hope it's clear BOG was a typo.. Maybe the admin can fix is.. It's BOG.. Boston Public Garden 💜🐿💜

Working on the pictures

When I'm on a hand-held device it changes my spelling before it sends... BPG not Bog!!
    I hope it's clear BOG was a typo.. Maybe the admin can fix is.. It's BOG.. Boston Public Garden
    Boston Public Garden, I get it (really) but are you sure your being clear....
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

SquirrelSense (05-03-2016)

Default Re: Sarcoptic Mange desperate situation (good news finally)

Question for ADMIN. I am having a rough time getting together an album of Mr. Winks for a precise succession this disease progress. Where I can label each pic and show the rapid speed and corresponding dates with each image of Mr. Winks condition. and being aware of the "PRE-EXISTING" issues so they are not confused with his current problem..
    He was blinded in his right eye as a juv guessing the familiar off-leash dogs sicced /trained to attack Bost Pub Garden squirrels. Entitled people who wont use the dog run 5 years away in the Common...where 'ordinary people go' the law is posted but totally ignored. I am sure thus contributed to Mr. Winks problems opening or cracking and hard nut. He nibbles, dropping a lot of dust unable to rasp. He learned to trim enough on wood or other hard subs I have witnessed must attacks leading to his stump tail. Last attack bled for months reopening and he tries to roll on his back to catch to clean but cant. Females defer to him..he is uncreadiby a non-threatening male with pregnant and nursing super females. His disabilities make him look 'beat up' but he is tough, smart, gentle with the 3 humans he can trust. These have nothing to do with this mange. Only that he cant see attacking kids and dogs in time. He was likely in a mouth and suffered multiple sensory loss...cant see/hear or sense as well as some when dogs or kids with sticks come up out of nowhere.

(i.e ) I got a call from a person convinced it was pox..it is not pox.

Can the admin help me with getting that together?

������
    You want to get pictures together showing the progression of this disease, correct?
    I suggest that you go to SmugMug and set up an account. Typically they offer a free 30 day trial, I believe.
    You can number your pictures and put them on the board in any order you'd like by simply copying a link and putting it
    in the little square "insert image" at the top.
    You click that on (blue arrow) and it will ask Computer or URL, you click URL and then uncheck the box.
    After your URL is inserted then you click ok and it will come up as you see below.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

SquirrelSense (05-04-2016)

Leaving in 10 min.. please give best opinion if you can offer help.

If anyone can answer ASAP soon I'm off to Mr. Winks as soon as I can get together his homemade food,, water dish, emergency kit....etc.

Did not want to post another illegible spell-mangled post from the tiny device yesterday, but he was better again from Sunday!. He comes out ASAP instead of a 20 min prayer he will show. He enthusiastically ate his homemade nutrition & some treat pecans and walnuts, but CAME DOWN in the midst of foot traffic to drink fresh filtered water I brought....he was self protective and just ..well energetic.

NOW THE BAD!! Its been very warm UNTIL NOW, it was very sunny...thank goodness as he is 80% hairless from rubbing dead skin and bugs on the bark. Since he is bald (other than his tail which he can not reach to scratch or rub, all there is to his outer laters are the shrinking egg sacks/lumps on very wrikly skin, pulled areas off dead leathery skin (none bleeding though). I assume they were itchy tubules of larvae. They are healing. Non new fur I can see yet. No more bight red bite spots within the crusty folds..

BUT It is now not only rainy.. its a RAW kind of rain..48 F ☔️ and I doubt he has ANY squirrels to huddle with🐿. The next 5 days will be raw rainy 50-52. ⛈REALLY COLD on my semi winter Pea Coat!!! SHOULD HE GET THE 2nd dose now with this bitter cold, no warmth or fur to therm-reg, and a weakened body altogether? Would getting those hatching eggs now before he freezes be a good thing? I know there is NO science to him.. Just want honest input if you've dealt with this. Was planning on day 7 tomorrow..but this weather could be the nail.

My emergency decision....PLEASE HELP DECIDE.....his first med of Ivermectin was WED the 27th. I have read in dire cases (esp the small doses...7-10 is average. Mild cases 14 days. Remember..I am NOT a newbie..35 years of rescue/rehab/release..however, NO pox or sarc mange in all the years in the area I focus on. This IS new to me but so far, amazed he has lived and is improving. Still this is tricky..even for captive squirrels.

SHOULd I rISK a 1/2 to small grain of rice size dose NOW , tomorrow (7 days).. He wont make it 10 with this weather is there are eggs droiing,
    He is facing 5 days of no thermo-regulating..no nest mats (thats why he self-imposed/banished himself from his beautiful preggy gals and babies. He is OUTside the limits of the area he lived in ..almost in traffic but goes through the iron gate to hop to the pond if the water I have left gets knocked over.

I AM working on the vids and images regardless of the outcome so we can all learn from this...but seem to only be able to post 10 images...cant relly frag them...want to put up a Mr. Winks flolder

Ps re images..rather than open a new APP (hard to use them compared to my laptop....like to get the image post in this thread figured out..but MUCH obliged)!!! JUSt don't know why its limiting me to so few in the main library area. Deal with that later

The "7-10" is timed to kill the adult mites, give the eggs a chance to hatch, and the 2nd dose kills THEM. I would do the normal dose every 7 days if I were you. You can go to 10 if you have to, but if I was dealing with him I would try to dose him tomorrow and a third dose next Wednesday.

31. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Mel1959 (05-03-2016), Spanky (05-03-2016), SquirrelSense (05-04-2016)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast