Thread: Aspiration Pneumonia: Interesting observation

Hybrid View

Default Re: Aspiration Pneumonia: Interesting observation

hello, I just rescued a baby squirrel. It must be around 5 weeks old. I heard the 'clicking sound' today and I'm very worried. It has been showing signs of Aspiration pneumonia but I am scared to give her medicine. What amount of ciprofloxacin should I give her? Should I first go with homeopathy medine, rather? I hope my baby survives.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddles View Post
    hello, I just rescued a baby squirrel. It must be around 5 weeks old. I heard the 'clicking sound' today and I'm very worried. It has been showing signs of Aspiration pneumonia but I am scared to give her medicine. What amount of ciprofloxacin should I give her? Should I first go with homeopathy medine, rather? I hope my baby survives.
    Did you ever figure out the dosage? Or what homeopathy medicine did you use?

Hello! I'm from Tamilnadu. I found a new born squirrel pinky 1 week ago. she has clicking sound from yesterday. She becomes very thin and breathe through mouth. In here, I can't found baytril or other antibiotics for squirrel. Can I give human antibiotics to her. I have Azithromycin Azithral 500. Plss anyone reply

Could you tell me how long to treat the aspiration if I have cipro 500mg & the baby is 30g? I noticed my little one today aspirate a tiny bit but has the clicking sounds now. Vets wont help me

Quote Originally Posted by straussrn View Post
    Could you tell me how long to treat the aspiration if I have cipro 500mg & the baby is 30g? I noticed my little one today aspirate a tiny bit but has the clicking sounds now. Vets wont help me
    An admin will have to help you with dosing.

But, I wanted to say as an aside, aspiration pneumonia takes days to develop (not hours.) When the baby aspirated, did you hold him/her upside down and tap their back lightly between the shoulder blades? Then wipe away the fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by straussrn View Post

Aspiration does cause aspiration pneumonia, but aspirating does not mean it will absolutely result in aspiration pneumonia. And most babies will have a mouth click occasionally, especially after eating. The lung click of AP is persistent... if the baby is clicking while sleeping, for example, good chances they have AP.

So we want to make sure we are treating AP and giving antibiotics only when necessary as they can be very hard on the babies and their tummies.

Is your baby clicking constantly, or losing it's appetite?

Edit: I preemptively sent dosing info in case it is needed and I feared I may not be around later to dose it...

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Danie (08-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Aspiration does cause aspiration pneumonia, but aspirating does not mean it will absolutely result in aspiration pneumonia. And most babies will have a mouth click occasionally, especially after eating. The lung click of AP is persistent... if the baby is clicking while sleeping, for example, good chances they have AP.

So we want to make sure we are treating AP and giving antibiotics only when necessary as they can be very hard on the babies and their tummies.

Is your baby clicking constantly, or losing it's appetite?

Edit: I preemptively sent dosing info in case it is needed and I feared I may not be around later to dose it...
    could i please get that dosing chart? i would like to get some meds tomorrow. dkkirby@ymail.com

Yes on the continuous clicking. No on lethargic. Where did you send the chart to may I ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
    could i please get that dosing chart? i would like to get some meds tomorrow. dkkirby@ymail.com

We will only dose in a Private Message. In order to dose the entire information of the medication (name, strength, form (tab, cap, liquid) is required and the weight of the squirrel (dosing is based upon weight).