Thread: My Little Neuro Guy Hurt His Foot

Default My Little Neuro Guy Hurt His Foot

My sweet, little neuro boy, Jacob, hurt his back foot! He apparently got some of his nesting material caught on his leg, dragged it into the kitchen, and got his leg wrapped around the leg of a kitchen chair. He has free run of the house during the day, under supervision, and has a little bed he likes to nap in, in one of the corners of the house. That is what he dragged into the kitchen, and was all tangled up in it. When I got home, I found him just laying on the floor with his foot, twisted, and wrapped around the chair, and his care giver was in another room, and hadn't even noticed! I am absolutely furious, but also TERRIFIED for him! His foot was wrapped up in a rubber band like fashion, with some of the nesting material, cutting off his circulation in his foot, and I had to cut him free with scissors! He had no food, no water, and I don't have any idea how long he had been like that! Of course, I'm sure he struggled a lot to get free, probably making his injury worse! Could his foot be broken? I have some Metacam that I can give him, but I have had it since March, and I need to know if it's still good? He drank a little bit of water, but not much. Should I try giving him some via syringe? He is also on Gabapentin for neurological pain/seizures. I also have Prednisone for him, that I know is still good. If the Metacam isn't good anymore, I do have infant ibuprofen I can give him, but I know the Metacam would be better. I also don't know when he had anything to eat last. His poor little foot is swelling up so badly! I cannot get in to see my vet until tomorrow. Should I try to get him to eat something? Should I give him the Prednisone, or the Metacam? Or should I give him the ibuprofen, if the Metacam has expired? I know Prednisone helps with inflammation, but not pain, is that correct? I am keeping him still and as comfortable as possible , but I don't know what else to do! Please help! I am so worried, and I know my sweet little boy is in so much pain! Thank you all so much!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: My Little Neuro Guy Hurt His Foot

First, put on your strongest glasses or get a magnifying glass if you have one and check his leg really well to make sure nothing is wrapped around it. Things like a single thread or even a human hair can get dug in so you can barely see it so you really need to look hard.

Yes, if you suspect he has been without access to food and water, offering a bit by syringe would be a good idea. I would add a pinch of sugar to it to make it more attractive and warm it like you would formula.

And yes, he needs pain meds. The prednisone is great for inflammation but no pain relief and you cannot use either metacam or ibuprophen or any other NSAIDS with prednisone. You have to use something like tramadol, and those two are a good combo but I have ZERO idea how any of them work with the gabapentin. Let me see if I can rustle up some folks with more info.

Will he let you sandwich that poor footie between some cold water soaked paper towels folded into little pads?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Bella's Mom (10-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    First, put on your strongest glasses or get a magnifying glass if you have one and check his leg really well to make sure nothing is wrapped around it. Things like a single thread or even a human hair can get dug in so you can barely see it so you really need to look hard.

Yes, if you suspect he has been without access to food and water, offering a bit by syringe would be a good idea. I would add a pinch of sugar to it to make it more attractive and warm it like you would formula.

And yes, he needs pain meds. The prednisone is great for inflammation but no pain relief and you cannot use either metacam or ibuprophen or any other NSAIDS with prednisone. You have to use something like tramadol, and those two are a good combo but I have ZERO idea how any of them work with the gabapentin. Let me see if I can rustle up some folks with more info.

Will he let you sandwich that poor footie between some cold water soaked paper towels folded into little pads?
    Okay, I will check his foot. Yes, he would probably let me wrap his between some cold water soaked paper towels. How long should I try to do that for? I will give him some warm water with a little sugar in it. Unfortunately, I don't have tramadol, nor would I be able to get any from anywhere. My only option for pain, at this point, is the Metacam, or the infant ibuprofen. I'm just not sure if the Metacam is still good. I have had it for him since March when he had a teeth trimming at the vet, and they accidentally cracked one of his teeth. But those two pain meds are my only options right now.😢

Quote Originally Posted by Bella's Mom View Post
    Okay, I will check his foot. Yes, he would probably let me wrap his between some cold water soaked paper towels. How long should I try to do that for? I will give him some warm water with a little sugar in it. Unfortunately, I don't have tramadol, nor would I be able to get any from anywhere. My only option for pain, at this point, is the Metacam, or the infant ibuprofen. I'm just not sure if the Metacam is still good. I have had it for him since March when he had a teeth trimming at the vet, and they accidentally cracked one of his teeth. But those two pain meds are my only options right now.��
    Does the Metacam have an expiration date on the bottle? This is in suspension, correct?
    I know that you can definitely give Metacam and infant ibuprofen with Gabapentin.
    We would need a the strength of your Metacam and a weight of your
    little one in order to dose.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Bella's Mom (10-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Does the Metacam have an expiration date on the bottle? This is in suspension, correct?
    I know that you can definitely give Metacam and infant ibuprofen with Gabapentin.
    We would need a the strength of your Metacam and a weight of your
    little one in order to dose.
    Yes, I know both Metacam and infant ibuprofen can be given with Gabapentin. Yes, the Metacam is in suspension. It says on the bottle that it is Metacam Solution per ml 1.5mg/ml. The dose that he had last time printed on the bottle is to give him 0.1ml every 24 hours. There is also no expiration date printed on the bottle. That's why I don't know if it's still any good. It was prescribed to him on 3/17/19. He has an appointment with my exotic vet tomorrow at 6pm. But I need to give him something now for pain. Is that dose okay to give him of the Metacam if it's still good, or might he need a different dose?

Oh, his weight is 789 grams.

I am so sorry I had to go off the board last night.
    I'm sending you dosing for infant ibuprofen.
    I'm unsure if your Metacam is still good.
    If others think it's good, I will send you dosing for that NOW in case,
    as well as for the infant ibuprofen.

Edit: Dosing sent

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Bella's Mom (10-11-2019), RockyPops (10-09-2019)

Please get rid of the polyfill bedding.
    It has little strings that can wrap around their extremities.
    We have seen pinkie squirrels get caught in that
    as well, and it resulted in their death.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Bella's Mom (10-11-2019), RockyPops (10-09-2019)

I am so sorry I had to go off the board last night.
    I'm sending you dosing for infant ibuprofen.
    I'm unsure if your Metacam is still good.
    If others think it's good, I will send you dosing for that NOW in case,
    as well as for the infant ibuprofen.

Edit: Dosing sent
    I completely understand. I did get your message with the dosing information. Jacob had a vet appointment, and it turns out the Metacam is, in fact, still good. But I didn't have much left so they gave me some more for him. I responded to your message, but I couldn't really tell if it went through or not.

Thank goodness his foot is not broken! But time will tell if his foot may possibly need to be amputated.😥 But he is already starting to use it. He can move it, and he is trying to walk on it, and taking more and more steps on it, so the vet says that's a good sign! Thank you all so much for your help!

Please get rid of the polyfill bedding.
    It has little strings that can wrap around their extremities.
    We have seen pinkie squirrels get caught in that
    as well, and it resulted in their death.
    Yes, Ma'am! It's already been done! I rescued him a year and a half ago now, and he's never had any problems with it until now. But I already got rid of all of it because I didn't want him to have any further problems with it. I have successfully rescued and raised 10 squirrels now since 2013, and none of them have had problems with the pillow stuffing until this incident with Jacob. I know of several people who use this material as bedding for squirrels also. I just consider myself very, very lucky that none of my other little fuzzers were harmed by it, and that this wasn't as bad as it could have been for my sweet little boy! Yes, this stuff is really bad for squirrels! Thank you so much for your reply and advise!♥️

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Bella's Mom:

HRT4SQRLS (10-12-2019), Nancy in New York (10-12-2019), RockyPops (10-12-2019)