Thread: HELP! Baby squirrel is bleeding from nose, opening mouth as if gasping for air.

Threaded View

Default Re: HELP! Baby squirrel is bleeding from nose, opening mouth as if gasping for air.

Quote Originally Posted by ericnunez View Post

She weighs 264 grams as of this morning and I'm using Espilac powdered milk. I feed her every three hours and about 3ml and a half.
    Is she eating any solids... and do you know how old she is?

3ml is way too llitte, I am attaching a feeding chart. They should be fed 5-7% of body weight so for a 264gm squirrel that would be 13- 18ml each feeding. And every 3 hours for s 264grams squirrel is too often. I am attaching a cheat sheet for feeding amounts. SquirrelBoard Feeding CheatSheet.pdf

As for the bloated tummy...

1) Esbilac should be mixed up a few hours before feeding, stored in the fridge after mixing and discarded after about 36 - 48 hours... so only make up about 1.5 - 2 days of feeding.
    2) Formula that has been heated for feeding but not used should be discarded; never reheat previously heated formula.
    3) Once opened, the powder should be stored in the freezer (or fridge). If left out at room temp it will go bad (rancid) in a matter of days

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

ericnunez (05-19-2022)