Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloating + Diarrhea 4-5 week old

Default Re: Bloating + Diarrhea 4-5 week old

Quote Originally Posted by Nctova View Post
    His bloat is getting worse. Like really bad. I’m so concerned.. he doesn’t even want me to help him pee or try to poop. He squirms every time I try to stimulate him..

Everything is getting worse; not better.

When you stimulate, wrap him up in fleece to keep him warm and feeling secure. I find the best stimulation technique for fussy squirrels is simply a wet fingertip (warm water).

Looks like you are reverting back to Esbilac without the Fox Valley... I'd stick with Esbilac until after his eyes open.

He is not clicking when he breaths is he? Hold him to your ear like a phone and listen for a consistent click sound.

In reading through this thread I do not get a good sense of how often you are giving him formula and / or fluids, so clarifying that would be helpful. Very helpful.

Yes..
    all he wants is formula. He’s sucking air, his fingers, the box.. everything.

I gave him a tiny bit of diluted mix as you recommended. Thank you.
    Surprisingly he actually pooped a little afterwards..

I’m going to check on him in about 2 hours just to give him a break..
    I’ve been giving him water every hour & a half or so throughout the day.. but only about 1.5cc or so..

I stimulate him every time I do that & sometimes in between if I gave him a warm soak & he didn’t do anything..

I’m not sure what I’m going to do in about 45 minutes, when the next water or diluted formula session will be, but I am very stressed seeing him so bloated. It’s hard to keep giving him fluids when he looks so “full”. His purple area on his tummy hasn’t gone down.

Also of note: (could be because of frequent stimulation) sometimes when I try to make him pee he doesn’t but some little tiny drops are sort of flying out.

I have some other eyes watching this thread to make sure we cover the bases, and so you are getting more than just my input. (note Spanky's post up above.. Spanky is a godsend to baby squirrels)
    You are doing a great job... it is normal if you feel panicky right now. I feel stressed out every time I have one like this, even after years of doing it.

Some other rehabbers feel we may now need to introduce more solids to stimulate him to push solids out.
    (Like how he pooped a little after you gave him some diluted formula).
    The blockage may be loosened.. but he does not yet feel a need to poop it out.

So... on the next feeding, use a 50/50 mix of Esbilac and water. If you mix it straight up that would be 1 part powdered Esbilac.. and 5 parts water.
    Let him have a decent feeding of it. Don't let him overeat, but let him get closer to a normal feeding.
    And let him (and you) rest for four hours, with no feedings or stimulation.
    Then try a stimulation and then a feeding.
    Use a wet finger or cloth.. he is probably feeling a little sore by now.

Let's continue that pattern for the rest of the night.. 4 hour feedings of 50/50.

If we can get some decent poop out of him by tomorrow.. we will step that up to a 75/25 mix.

On the Fox Valley.. I don't think it caused this problem (as it started before you introduced him to it).
    A mix of Esbilac and FV 20/50 works well.. because it has both pro-biotics and also the FV flavor and mix.
    I normally do not swap them from straight Esbilac to the mix until after their eyes open.. when they poop on their own.
    So don't toss out the Fox Valley.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Nctova (04-07-2019)

A huge thank you to you & spanky both! You’ve both been a godsend during this awful time..

I just gave him more forumula with strength as you suggested.. about 2ccs. He absolutely loved it AND he pooped after.. I’m astonished!

I guess that was right.. he wasn’t able to poop without some formula in his tummy?

It’s going to be hard to leave him be for 4 hours.. but I will. I’ll check back in to report how he is doing. Langley & I thank you for your support & any prayers for his full poop passage would be appreciated

Also, I know the FV didn’t cause this. I have some ideas as to what it may have been.. like you suggested maybe too hot causing constipation. But also, ever since I found him at a couple days old, he’s been a “super sucker” as in very very eager to eat & goes into a trance of sorts.. not like guppy mouth but just sucking very hard & I think he has been gradually pulling in air from the syringe.. maybe. Could be a combination of things..
    I am using the miracle mini nipple & the o ring 3cc syringe..

Anyways, I hope this passes and I can get him steady on the new FV formula soon.

Okay so..

Last night I gave him a feeding and he pooped two yellow semi solid stools.

4 hours later at around 2:30 am I gave him another feeding and no poop.

This morning I gave him a feeding and he pooped a two small stools semi solid but darker yellow.

He is still very bloated and that purple coloration inside his tummy is very full.

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    He is well fed and strong.
    We won't push the water diet long enough get anywhere near starvation.

If you have gotten any more poop put of him... start introducing diluted formula at the ratio of 25% Esbilac, 75% water.
    (This basically breaks down to 1 part Esbilac powder.. and 11 parts water)
    The taste should help you to get him to drink it.

Later this evening (in about four or five hours) change to 1 part Esbilac powder.. and 5 parts water.
    With all due respect and sorry for butting in here, but the ratio of 25% Esbilac and 75% water should be

ONE part Esbilac powder to THREE parts water.

Full strength is one part powder to TWO parts water.
    Any mixture of 11 parts water is so diluted, the baby is not getting any nutrition at all.

ok, carry on and we are all hoping and praying for this baby's recovery!

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Nctova (04-08-2019), stepnstone (04-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    With all due respect and sorry for butting in here, but the ratio of 25% Esbilac and 75% water should be

ONE part Esbilac powder to THREE parts water.

Full strength is one part powder to TWO parts water.
    Any mixture of 11 parts water is so diluted, the baby is not getting any nutrition at all.

ok, carry on and we are all hoping and praying for this baby's recovery!

Island rehabber... This is from Duckman's protocol for bloat.
    It steps from 25% Esbilac (Formula) to 50% and then 75%... in water.
    We are currently at the 50% stage. Half Esbilac formula and half water. Which would be 1 part powder and 2 parts water (the formula) plus an equal amount of water (three parts). So that would total out to one part powder and five parts water.
    The next part would be 75% stage.. (which I doubt Duckman meant as 3 parts powder and 1 part water). So that would be the 11am feeding.. of one part powder and four parts water.

I have been giving a mix of 1.5 tbsp of esbilac with 6 tbsp of water.. still heavily diluted but I did want him to get some nutrients..

Nctova... Go ahead and step up to the 75% formula mix at the 11am feeding... one part powder to three parts water. (not four as I said earlier)
    Also give him another dose of GasX.. and try submerging his bottom half in warm water when massaging and stimulating to poop.
    I would limit feedings to once per four hours.. but you can try stimulating every other hour.

The purple area does worry me. That would indicate pressure. Is it still about the same color or darker or reddish?
    How is his appetite?

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Nctova (04-08-2019)

Oh... Check all of his bedding to make sure he did not poop in there.
    If there is any poop.. clean it out so we can easily spot new poop.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Nctova (04-08-2019)

He did have a little poop on his bottom last time I check him..
    his appetite is still very much present.

I think he is more bloated now than he has been which is extremely worrisome. The main area of bloat is the darker area.. is that his intestines or his stomach or his bladder?? It’s a dark purplish blue.

I will give him some more gas x.. btw it is an off brand but still the seminthecone (sp?) drops.. just wanted to note that.

He barely lets me stimulate him.. it’s almost like right as he’s about to maybe poop he squirms out of my grip like he doesn’t want it to happen! So frustrating

Is the Esbilac being mixed up ahead of time (1 part powder to 2 parts water) to allow it to better dissolve for several hours (in the fridge)? It is important to mix up hours ahead of time so that the powder has more time to dissolve. Not mixing ahead makes it much harder to digest.

You can further dilute a small portion of the already mixed formula just prior to feeding. So if you are wanting to feed 75%, take out (for example) 15ml of the "full strength formula" and add 5ml of water to that for that feeding (or use cool / cold water and use that for a couple feedings).

Where are you located in North Carolina?
    I'm wondering if we know any experienced rehabbers near you.

I would do some stimulation directly on his anus and the area just above it.. I know he does not like it but I get better results with a rubbing motion from just above it across it.
    I know what you mean by stimulating him to pee then results him pooping. My boys are pretty much the same way.. once pressure comes off the bladder it then lets the poop come out.
    I think the feeling of warm urine across the anus also helps stimulate the pooping.

But right now he may be resisting the motions that will make him poop because it hurts to poop.

Try different areas on him and different motions.. see if you can find any motion that makes his anus open into a round circle.
    If you can find a motion that does that then concentrate on that.
    If you get a poop that comes almost out but stops try a little flicking motion to help pop it out.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Nctova (04-08-2019)

Name:  235EAC2F-7277-46FF-BE35-650C61B8FE14.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  73.8 KB

Yes I mix the esbilac and let it sit for several hours. Sometimes it’s not always as long as I’d like but for the most part I do my best to keep it rotated and able to sit for several hours.

I’m located in the outer banks.

Spanky- are you saying when diluting the formula further I should feed him with cool water?

Near what city in the outer banks?

I held him up to the window light and I can almost see the liquid that’s filling that area.. it’s either water or gas it looks like clear.. could his pee be blocked some way? I know he is peeing but no where near what he should be considering all the water from yesterday

Nags Head, N.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Nctova View Post
    Spanky- are you saying when diluting the formula further I should feed him with cool water?
    No. What I was trying to say is do not add hot water to already mixed formula to dilute it and then use that batch of formula more than one feeding (never reuse warmed formula).

You can dilute a smaller batch of formula with cold water (similar to the temperature of the refrigerated formula) and use that (un-warmed) formula for several feedings.

Any formula that has been warmed up but not fed to the baby should always discard. Never reuse previously warmed formula.

Most of use use a hot cup of water and place syringes with formula in there for 60 seconds or so to warm for feeding.

Edit: Those gas drops are just fine.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nctova (04-08-2019)

Well what about this.. something I’ve never thought of:
    When I initially mix the powder and water I use hot water thinking it will mix it better before I put it in the fridge.. is this bad??

I do not heat and reheat formula. Always just take out what I need and keep the rest cold.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast