Thread: Concern

Exclamation Concern

I have a 7 weekish old baby girl. She is 130 grams and is eating esbilac powder mixed 1:1 with a scoop of heavy cream, 7mls every 5hrs or so. She is peeing and pooping well and usually extremely active. We started offering her piece of broccoli, sweet potato and rodent blocks that she nibbles on occasionally, a few weeks ago. Today she didn't seem as active and only ate 4mls pretty slow I may add. Usually when we are done she runs around her cage but today she just wanted to sleep. She does a sneeze thing, I think? But I thought her respiratory rate appears fast?? No clicking or really noises that I can tell. Should I be concerned?

Default Re: Concern

Quote Originally Posted by Rachell1983 View Post
    I have a 7 weekish old baby girl. She is 130 grams and is eating esbilac powder mixed 1:1 with a scoop of heavy cream, 7mls every 5hrs or so. She is peeing and pooping well and usually extremely active. We started offering her piece of broccoli, sweet potato and rodent blocks that she nibbles on occasionally, a few weeks ago. Today she didn't seem as active and only ate 4mls pretty slow I may add. Usually when we are done she runs around her cage but today she just wanted to sleep. She does a sneeze thing, I think? But I thought her respiratory rate appears fast?? No clicking or really noises that I can tell. Should I be concerned?

The Esbilac should be mixed 1 part powder to 2 parts water (not 1:1).

We typically recommend not giving any solids except rodent block until they are eating the block well.. then introduce the veggies. But only offer veggies after they have eaten block.. what type of block are you feeding?

I'd continue to monitor for the tell-tale clicking sound since lethargy and appetite loss are both signs of pneumonia.

Could she be dehydrated? These symptoms could also be dehydration. Maybe giving her a feeding or two of hydration fluids would be in order...

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

island rehabber (04-07-2019), lennysmom (04-07-2019)

Exclamation Re: Concern

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

The Esbilac should be mixed 1 part powder to 2 parts water (not 1:1).

We typically recommend not giving any solids except rodent block until they are eating the block well.. then introduce the veggies. But only offer veggies after they have eaten block.. what type of block are you feeding?

I'd continue to monitor for the tell-tale clicking sound since lethargy and appetite loss are both signs of pneumonia.

Could she be dehydrated? These symptoms could also be dehydration. Maybe giving her a feeding or two of hydration fluids would be in order...
    Sorry I am doing 1:2 that was a typo. I just offered her water and she would only drink half a ml. I thought I heard a clicking sound but I can't tell for it's not a consistent noise but her breathing seems fast. I went ahead and gave her a dose of baytril which she freaked out because of the taste even though it was only like 0.06 MLS mixed with the water. I'm concerned.

I can't seem to get my video to load on this site so Im hoping this link will allow someone to view.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...QwYzh4c2pDQTJn

I can't seem to get my video to load on this site so Im hoping this link will allow someone to view.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...QwYzh4c2pDQTJn
    I don't like that breathing, either. You are wise to be concerned and glad you gave her the Baytril. Make sure she is well hydrated, even if she only takes a drop at a time. If she has a respiratory illness the Baytril will work well.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

gunpackingrandma (04-07-2019)

Question Re: Concern

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I don't like that breathing, either. You are wise to be concerned and glad you gave her the Baytril. Make sure she is well hydrated, even if she only takes a drop at a time. If she has a respiratory illness the Baytril will work well.

Ok so she is acting much better this morning, I gave her 1 ml of Pedialyte and 5.5 ml of her esbilac and she is running around in her cage. She seems brighter but still increased respiratory rate so should I continue the medication and if so how long? She won't take it orally so I'll have to inject it. One thing I noticed she is chewing on the plastic syringe today, is she teething perhaps? Painful, would that cause increased rate? Will it hurt to continue baytril even if it's not that? If hate to not do it and it get worse but .... Last night she was also doing this teeth chattering thing??

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rachell1983 from:

island rehabber (04-09-2019)

Question Re: Concern

Can anyone please respond to my previous concerns on baytril and other questions? Thank you so much

A typical oral trial of Baytril used for AP will last anywhere from 5-7 days. If you are going to use orally, it is best to prepare with a flavored solution and not water. Even with a flavored solution, it still tastes bad and you will often just have to force squirt it into her mouth with you holding her (burritoed). If you are doing daily injections, I would keep her on the med for 5-7 days although the WMB says to switch over to oral administration. It can be used longer but you should see a reduction in symptoms with 36 hours. I would not use it for less than 5 days.

Teeth chattering means she is really mad at you and may well bite you if you approach any closer.

Can anyone please respond to my previous concerns on baytril and other questions? Thank you so much
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

island rehabber (04-09-2019)