Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A wild squirrel friend in need.

Default Re: A wild squirrel friend in need.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    The Septra (I think this is what the rehabber meant) may do, too. It is slower acting than the clavamox would be but it does work with abscesses. I would personally use the outdated clavamox if it has been carefully stored, but this other med will do, too.

The problem with just going with draining and not following up with antibiotics is that it can be all but impossible to get ALL of the gunk out, AND it can reform (which is why the will put in a drain sometimes). Abscesses really need both - the antibiotics need the infection to be "debulked" before it can clean up the remaining infection, and the infection needs the antibiotics to prevent the abscess from reforming.

Septra is slow, so I would think at LEAST 10 days on it. Make sure the squirrel drinks plenty when on Septra - it can be hard on the kidneys otherwise.
    Thanks for that. CritterMom. In that case I think maybe I should go for the clavmox. It's a scored tablet and says 250 on the pack so it must mean 250mg and if I remember correctly I have to cut the tablet in half and then cut each half into 3 pieces. And is it one piece for one dose a day mixed with a bit of warm water and added to food? If he is not taking the antibiotics then maybe I should consider the convenia shot as it has worked on MyBushyTail's squirrels.

Good news - Baby Almond's teeth have grown back normally! I expect the huge abscess he had pushed the teeth out of place. I thought they looked like they were more aligned last week as they were growing. However at that point he wasn't eating any hard nuts in shell that I left for him such as walnuts and hazelnuts in their shell. But last week I noticed he partially chiselled through a hazelnut in shell.

I bought him the critter nation cage and he has been in that for the last 4 days.

Now his teeth have grown and are no longer misaligned and he can crack open and eat hard nuts in shell. His abscess has healed.

I released him this morning. I expect it may have been ok to have released him earlier, but I wanted to make sure everything had healed and his teeth were ok. I do hope he will survive ok out there and that his nest is safe etc as he has been away from it for 2 weeks now.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TheSquirrel:

Chickenlegs (12-18-2018), TubeDriver (12-18-2018)

Great news! You saved him from an awful death! Keep a close eye on him over the next month to make sure the teeth continue to do well!

He should be able to get his old nest back or he will make another one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSquirrel View Post
    Good news - Baby Almond's teeth have grown back normally! I expect the huge abscess he had pushed the teeth out of place. I thought they looked like they were more aligned last week as they were growing. However at that point he wasn't eating any hard nuts in shell that I left for him such as walnuts and hazelnuts in their shell. But last week I noticed he partially chiselled through a hazelnut in shell.

I bought him the critter nation cage and he has been in that for the last 4 days.

Now his teeth have grown and are no longer misaligned and he can crack open and eat hard nuts in shell. His abscess has healed.

I released him this morning. I expect it may have been ok to have released him earlier, but I wanted to make sure everything had healed and his teeth were ok. I do hope he will survive ok out there and that his nest is safe etc as he has been away from it for 2 weeks now.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

TheSquirrel (12-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Great news! You saved him from an awful death! Keep a close eye on him over the next month to make sure the teeth continue to do well!

He should be able to get his old nest back or he will make another one.
    Thanks TubeDriver. I wished so much for his teeth to grow back normally, and it's incredible that they have and that he hasn't needed more than one trim. I'm so pleased about that. I don't think he was very happy in captivity and I felt so bad for him.

I only hope he will return to visit me. I hope he is okay. I hope he doesn't associate me with his time in captivity and avoid coming back. I know I will be looking out for him every day. He was a daily visitor and one of my very special squirrel friends - one of the ones that I always look out for and worry if they don't show up. You know what it's like - you get many wild squirrel visitors and some you form a really strong and special rapport with, and others you don't, they're all different personalities. Baby Almond is very sensitive by nature and has a very peaceful lovable personality.

I will keep you posted.

Hi, this an update.

I released baby Almond on Tuesday 18th December, after which there was no appearance or sighting of him until just over a week later last Wednesday 26th. I was so pleased to see him and to know that he had survived ok. He came for just a short visit, no other squirrels were present at the time, and he ate a couple of shelled nuts and left.

A similar thing happened the next day, except that my other special squirrel visitors - his sibling and half siblings were coming and going too and he was eating up in the bush and making defensive "hoo hoo" noises at everyone.

The following day he came first thing in the morning and was eating out of a pot of chopped mixed nuts I put half way up the hedge. When his mother, Baby Chicoo, came along and went towards the pot he started making "hoo hoo" noises at her and then lunged at her and fighting broke out. They were spinning round and round scuffling high up in the hedge, I was so scared someone would get hurt and went out and called out to them and it was his mother who ran off first.

Since then he has been quite aggressive towards my special regular squirrel visitors - his mother, his sibling and 2 half siblings - lunging at them, chasing them off, whacking them so they fall down the hedge. I'm so scared there'll be an accident. I really don't want anyone to get hurt. And his mother and siblings are now all scared of him and run off when they see him.

Any advice appreciated - I just hope things will calm down!

Great job on the rescue and release. He sounds like a little tough guy! He might be the alpha yard squirrel or he is just being very aggressive because he is recovering.

This behavior is somewhat normal. One thing you can do is not put out a big pot of treats that they will fight over. Spread the treats out or toss them towards individual squirrels while attempting to keep some distance between them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSquirrel View Post
    Hi, this an update.

I released baby Almond on Tuesday 18th December, after which there was no appearance or sighting of him until just over a week later last Wednesday 26th. I was so pleased to see him and to know that he had survived ok. He came for just a short visit, no other squirrels were present at the time, and he ate a couple of shelled nuts and left.

A similar thing happened the next day, except that my other special squirrel visitors - his sibling and half siblings were coming and going too and he was eating up in the bush and making defensive "hoo hoo" noises at everyone.

The following day he came first thing in the morning and was eating out of a pot of chopped mixed nuts I put half way up the hedge. When his mother, Baby Chicoo, came along and went towards the pot he started making "hoo hoo" noises at her and then lunged at her and fighting broke out. They were spinning round and round scuffling high up in the hedge, I was so scared someone would get hurt and went out and called out to them and it was his mother who ran off first.

Since then he has been quite aggressive towards my special regular squirrel visitors - his mother, his sibling and 2 half siblings - lunging at them, chasing them off, whacking them so they fall down the hedge. I'm so scared there'll be an accident. I really don't want anyone to get hurt. And his mother and siblings are now all scared of him and run off when they see him.

Any advice appreciated - I just hope things will calm down!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

TheSquirrel (12-30-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Great job on the rescue and release. He sounds like a little tough guy! He might be the alpha yard squirrel or he is just being very aggressive because he is recovering.

This behavior is somewhat normal. One thing you can do is not put out a big pot of treats that they will fight over. Spread the treats out or toss them towards individual squirrels while attempting to keep some distance between them.
    Many thanks, TubeDriver.
    Yes you're right, after that scuffle he had with his mother I took the pot away from the hedge and give them nuts individually, because it makes me nervous every time one of my squirrels are around and he comes along, or vice versa, and I try and separate them! But normally the others will do a quick u turn when they approach and see him here! If it's the other way round he'll chase them off angrily. (This is just totally opposite to his usual gentle non-confrontational personality!).

He has a large scar on his face from the abscess lancing, so he is kind of disfigured on one side, so his face is transformed and his character is transformed - it's like a totally different squirrel!

Hopefully things will calm down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12