Thread: Squirrel Disease

Default Squirrel Disease

Has anyone heard of squirrels being infected with roundworm which can be deadly in humans?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to dextersmom from:

LR (01-12-2018)

Default Re: Squirrel Disease

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmom View Post
    Has anyone heard of squirrels being infected with roundworm which can be deadly in humans?
    You must be referring to "Raccoon roundworm, the danger of contacting the RW is in a coons feces.
    Raccoon RW can infect other species and be treated caught in time. It is said to not be "curable" with
    and can be deadly to humans. The Raccoon roundworm works it's way to the brain.

Last edited by stepnstone; 01-12-2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

ClemC5 (01-15-2018), island rehabber (01-12-2018), LR (01-12-2018), Nancy in New York (01-12-2018)

Yes I'll ditto that because we don't want squirrels getting blamed for Baylisascaris (raccoon roundworm). However it is always wise to keep squirrel enclosures impermeable to raccoons, as the raccoons will sit on top of the enclosures and poop....when it rains the poop runs down into the bottom of the enclosures and squirrels pick up the roundworm from eating food on the floor. I have known two rehabbers who have lost an entire season's releases because of this.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 01-12-2018 at 09:37 AM. Reason: misspelling
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

ClemC5 (01-15-2018), Diggie's Friend (11-15-2018), LR (01-12-2018), Mel1959 (01-12-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-13-2018), stepnstone (01-12-2018)

It is also important to note that while dogs or raccoons act as definitive hosts (spread the eggs in their poop), humans and squirrels are Paratenic hosts (get sick but can not spread the parasite ie. not contagious).
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

cava (01-12-2018), island rehabber (01-12-2018), LR (01-12-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-13-2018)

What about all those people who have raccoons as pets,how do they not get contaminated,or their animals? Does a person have to eat the feces while the eggs are hatched? If a person who has raccoons clean their feces on a daily basis are they still at risk? Just asking because I watch the story about Pumpkin the Racoon.you should you tube the story,it's adorable. I have had a few calls regarding orphaned raccoons in which I send them to the only rehaber of raccoons in our area,and I too will be taking the course to further my rehab liscense,any how,just curious..

What about all those people who have raccoons as pets,how do they not get contaminated,or their animals? Does a person have to eat the feces while the eggs are hatched? If a person who has raccoons clean their feces on a daily basis are they still at risk? Just asking because I watch the story about Pumpkin the Racoon.you should you tube the story,it's adorable. I have had a few calls regarding orphaned raccoons in which I send them to the only rehaber of raccoons in our area,and I too will be taking the course to further my rehab liscense,any how,just curious..
    The RW eggs do not have to "be hatched" in order to infect another but just because it's a raccoon does not mean
    it has the RW anymore then being a raccoon means it's carrying rabies. There are preventive measures that should
    always be taken to ensure one's health and safety. I know several raccoon rehabbers and they (with gloves) first bathe
    and de-worm all raccoons upond intake. Better safe then risk....
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

dextersmom (01-12-2018), LR (01-12-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-13-2018)

As Stepnstone said, you have to take precautions but not all animals will carry a certain parasite. The eggs can be eaten but also if the poop dries, they can become airborne (like dust) and you can inhale the eggs (which then hatch and the worms move around possible to your heart, other organs and/or brain). Baby raccoons are very cute but always treat their poop as if it is hazardous!

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

dextersmom (01-12-2018), LR (01-12-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-13-2018)

Most folks don’t keep pet raccoons. They can be really destructive and especially the boys can be mean—veeeeeery mean. There are raccoons (for the most part damaged) that live with families as part of the household and I actually know folks who have friendly raccoons at their house who come and go at will. I’ve only cared for one little raccoon. Oh my lord that was the SWEETEST baby on the planet! Boke my heart to turn her over to raccoon rescue but she was healthy and to do less would be cruel to her. I will say, I am smitten. Everything about a little raccoon is precious.

15. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

cava (01-12-2018), dextersmom (01-13-2018), LR (01-12-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-13-2018), stepnstone (01-13-2018)

Isn't the raccoon roundworm the same worm found in puppies?

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to dextersmom from:

SophieSquirrel (01-13-2018)

Isn't the raccoon roundworm the same worm found in puppies?
    Roundworm not (raccoon roundworm) is the most common, then there is tape worm and a variety of others.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (01-14-2018), LR (01-13-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Roundworm not (raccoon roundworm) is the most common, then there is tape worm and a variety of others.
    step is right, roundworm is species-specific and there is no danger from kittens or puppies with roundworm except the usual problems associated with ...er, WORMS in your system! There is also ringworm, very common in feral kittens.

Only the raccoon roundworm is deadly; 100% fatal.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriciaJames View Post
    Squirrels carry diseases and symptoms which include nerve pain, stiffness, and inflammation of the brain or spinal cord.

WHOA.

I have been a licensed rehabilitator of squirrels for 14 years and have NEVER been told, learned, or experienced any disease a squirrel carries which causes what you have described. Baylisascaris, RACCOON roundworm, fits the symptoms you describe. NOT squirrels.

Neither do we recommend any but a very select few humane wildlife control experts here on TSB, for the simple reason that 99% of the so-called professionals simply gas or drown the animals to death, minutes after "humanely" removing them from your home. For squirrels, relocation is also a death sentence as they cannot be hard released in a strange territory and survive.

NO thank you.
    Last edited by Spanky; 11-10-2018 at 07:52 AM.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

22. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Diggie's Friend (11-15-2018), Nancy in New York (11-10-2018), stepnstone (11-10-2018)