Thread: Electrical Burn/Fall injuries

Default Electrical Burn/Fall injuries

I’m a lineman for a power utility and came to a routine outage call for a transformer outage. In most cases, it’s due to a squirrel touching the high voltage wire and the grounded transformer tank. This always results in death and I’ve seen thousands over the past 13 years. It’s very common.

Yesterday, one made it. Sort of. She suffered burn injuries due to the 7200v contact, though they surprisingly seem somewhat mild on the surface. She also fell 40ft+ to the ground. I can’t tell if the arm is broken but it doesn’t do much. She was dragging it under herself. This same arm sustained the worst of the burns, so this may be the main cause of its inability to function. I offered my gloved hand before I walked away from the job and she desperately wanted the help.

There is head trauma which is causing some neurological issues. There was bleeding from one ear. The eyes twitch constantly and one of them much worse than the other. Her head bobs back and forth when she lifts it as well. She’s a bit smelly because of the burnt hair everywhere but it’s getting better as she grooms.

I honestly thought she would stop breathing within minutes. It has been 24 hours now and she is starting to take small amounts of a blended fruit/vegetable mush mix and water, both from syringes and she ate a peanut when I offered it . She’s been grooming too.

Here’s what I’ve been doing and need advice: She is in a milk crate with a blanket lining it and more than enough to cover her and burrow in. She’s with me in my work truck all day and I remove the crate and bring it in the house after. I offer water from the syringe frequently. She sleeps almost nonstop (understandably) and when she wakes, she welcomes my petting and grooms my fingers. What else should I be doing for her? She’s fighting her tail off and I want to give her anything she needs through this potential recovery. I added a photo of when I first brought her in the truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Electrical Burn/Fall injuries

Thank you for going to the extra step and helping her! It sounds like she is recovering from this horrific injury. One thing I worry about is if she gets more mobile, she might escape from you as you transport her back and forth to your truck. She is going to need some additional time to recover before she can be released again.

One option, is to locate a rehabber in your area and and hand her off to that person.

If this can't be done, you should probably purchase some Teklad rodent block or Henry's rodent block which is a healthy diet for her, you can supplement the blocks with veggies. Keep offering her water and try to get her to drink water out of a small bowl too.

When she is at your home, perhaps place her in a bathroom or a room where you can close the door so she does not wander off. Make sure that toilet bowl lids are closed because squirrels can easily drown if they fall/jump in. Watch out for exposed electrical cords in an room that she will be in and try to keep cats/dogs (even friendly ones) away from her because she might set off the predator instincts in even a friendly pet.

When you said she is fighting her tail off, was that a typo and you meant "She is biting her her tail off" or did you mean that she is a tough little one who is fighting to get better? Has there been any improvement with the arm or is it still dangling?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Thank you for going to the extra step and helping her! It sounds like she is recovering from this horrific injury. One thing I worry about is if she gets more mobile, she might escape from you as you transport her back and forth to your truck. She is going to need some additional time to recover before she can be released again.

One option, is to locate a rehabber in your area and and hand her off to that person.

If this can't be done, you should probably purchase some Teklad rodent block or Henry's rodent block which is a healthy diet for her, you can supplement the blocks with veggies. Keep offering her water and try to get her to drink water out of a small bowl too.

When she is at your home, perhaps place her in a bathroom or a room where you can close the door so she does not wander off. Make sure that toilet bowl lids are closed because squirrels can easily drown if they fall/jump in. Watch out for exposed electrical cords in an room that she will be in and try to keep cats/dogs (even friendly ones) away from her because she might set off the predator instincts in even a friendly pet.

When you said she is fighting her tail off, was that a typo and you meant "She is biting her her tail off" or did you mean that she is a tough little one who is fighting to get better? Has there been any improvement with the arm or is it still dangling?
    Thank you for the fast reply. She is fighting, not biting lol. That would certainly make things more challenging! I installed a lid on the crate so she can’t escape it, but she hasn’t made any sort of attempt as of yet. At the moment, her only movements have been scooting in circles to adjust the position she’s laying in. The arm is still pretty limp. I tried a few animal hospitals and they offered to euthanize and I don’t feel like that’s her best option. She survived what should be a fatal electrocution and fell a long distance just to hit a gravel driveway. She deserves a chance after all of that, although I’m sure she’s in pain.

I have a bowl attachment set up for the crate so I’ll put some water in it but she can’t get into that position yet. She rolls on her back during feeding and water intake. I’ll order the feed as well and then see if it’s in stock somewhere local. I was doing the blended veggies because she wouldn’t open her jaw very well for the first 8 hours or so but it seems to be functioning better and she ate the peanut finally. So I’ll offer some raw ones per your advice. I’ll try setting her up in the bathroom starting tomorrow evening.

Thank you for this help! All tips are humbly welcome. Let’s get her back in good shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to jbranken:

AnaMM (01-20-2021), Buddy (01-20-2021), TubeDriver (01-21-2021)

Make a trip to the drug store and get a little bottle of infant strength ibuprophen - it will help with her pain. Also, pick up a little bottle on Ensure - type meal replacement shake. It is a good emergency way to get nutrients in. If you have access to a 1cc syringe that would be great - not the needle, just the plastic part. The pharmacist may be willing to give one to you if you ask - tell him your kid is trying to feed a baby hamster or something. If you can't, we can help you get as close measuring the ibuprophen as possible.

It is a young one - only out of the nest a few weeks...

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Buddy (01-20-2021), TubeDriver (01-21-2021)

I would definitely suggest getting her on prednisone asap!
    It's possible she may gain use of the arm it can also
    help reverse neuro issues.
    Shock injuries take a lot of convalescence and time to heal.
    If your willing to turn her over to experienced rehabilitation
    I am close to your area and willing to take her in for treatment
    and care.

If you do decide to turn her over, do not give the ibuprofen suggested.
    It would interfere with prednisone.

Edit: Unfortunately your Ip location and location you registered with are
    entirely two different areas, not even in the same State. If the area you
    registered with is correct we're not even close. I wish I could have helped...

Last edited by stepnstone; 01-20-2021 at 01:45 PM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

CritterMom (01-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    I would definitely suggest getting her on prednisone asap!
    It's possible she may gain use of the arm.
    Shock injuries take a lot of convalescence and time to heal.
    If your willing to turn her over to experienced rehabilitation
    I am close to your area and willing to take her in for treatment
    and care.
    If you have access to prednisone you won't be using the ibuprophen - and you will definitely need a 1cc syringe so it is properly dosed.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    If you have access to prednisone you won't be using the ibuprophen -
    and you will definitely need a 1cc syringe so it is properly dosed.

I checked Ip location before registered location, we're not even in the same State.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Cooked butternut squash or sweet potato will be easier to digest than the raw version. Most grey squirrels also like ripe avocado, just don't give her the skin or the pit, as these are somewhat toxic.

When you give her water, use a dish with very shallow sides, like the lid from a jar or oatmeal container and don't fill it to more than 1/8" of depth. Young squirrels are very clumsy drinkers and can inhale the water into their respiratory system, potentially leading to aspiration pneumonia.

If you have access to a food scale, it would be good to know how much she weighs.

Yes, she definitely deserves a chance. Thank you for giving it to her.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (01-20-2021)

OMG! So super cute!

Thank you for giving her another well deserved chance! I'm hoping that she will recover and will be the happy & health squirrel that she is meant to be!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Unfortunately, she did not make it. She passed in her sleep over night. That’s the worst part about an electrical contact—the damage it does internally is so random and hard to see. Current will cook the veins and tissues due to iron in our blood. Thank you to everyone for the help and advice. She had so many improvements yesterday and spent most of her time awake grooming and eating. Things seemed to really be looking up for her.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jbranken from:

TubeDriver (01-21-2021)

I’m very sorry to read this. I had high hopes, too. Thank you for trying.

I am so sorry she passed. It sounded like a horrific injury. But at least she was warm, dry and comfortable because of your care and help.

Godspeed little squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by jbranken View Post
    Unfortunately, she did not make it. She passed in her sleep over night. That’s the worst part about an electrical contact—the damage it does internally is so random and hard to see. Current will cook the veins and tissues due to iron in our blood. Thank you to everyone for the help and advice. She had so many improvements yesterday and spent most of her time awake grooming and eating. Things seemed to really be looking up for her.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Oh no!! I had really high hopes for this little one too.

RIP Little Girl

Thanks for trying to help/save her!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

So, so sorry.

I am sorry. I commend your efforts

Unhappy Re: Electrical Burn/Fall injuries

Quote Originally Posted by jbranken View Post