Thread: Needing help with baby Alvin

Question Needing help with baby Alvin

Hello, I’ve had alvin for about a week now he just hit 5 weeks old and opened his eyes a couple days ago.. He’s been doing great eating about 3ml ( 1cc syringe ) peeing and pooping on his own and normally.. Well yesterday I wanted to try the 3cc syringe and didn’t notice it comes out way faster than it should, I didn’t notice anything come out of his nose but I wiped his face and flipped him over anyways to be safe, waited a few minutes and went back to the 1cc to finish his feeding as he was still hungry.. we finished up his feeding wiped him down and put him back on the heating pad, I could hear a slight clicking but faintly and not with each breath. Today we woke up as usual he’s not sleeping with his mouth open, still eating his same amount and sleeping fine but there’s still that faint sound right before he gets to sleep and then it goes completely away.. He’s been doing so good and I’ve grown to become attached so I’m starting to feel as if I’m failing if he’s sick ... what else should I look out for?? Is it possible he has pneumonia?
    Thank you..

Default Re: Needing help with baby Alvin

For a healthy squirrel breathing should be a quiet, unremarkable event.

Aspiration doesn't necessarily lead to aspiration pneumonia.

In addition to monitoring the breathing, you should also pay close attention to energy level and appetite.

I would stick to the 1 cc syringe. O-Ring syringe have a smoother action, so are less likely to result aspiration.

To be on the safe side, to be prepared, you should see if you can get your hands on one or two antibiotic pills. You can call friends and family and see what they have. I wouldn't worry to much about a recent expiration. Because that acquisition process can often take some time and aspiration pneumonia can move very fast in squirrels. Better to be prepared and not need it.

You may find the video below helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Alvin4 (10-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    For a healthy squirrel breathing should be a quiet, unremarkable event.

Aspiration doesn't necessarily lead to aspiration pneumonia.

In addition to monitoring the breathing, you should also pay close attention to energy level and appetite.

I would stick to the 1 cc syringe. O-Ring syringe have a smoother action, so are less likely to result aspiration.

To be on the safe side, to be prepared, you should see if you can get your hands on one or two antibiotic pills. You can call friends and family and see what they have. I wouldn't worry to much about a recent expiration. Because that acquisition process can often take some time and aspiration pneumonia can move very fast in squirrels. Better to be prepared and not need it.

You may find the video below helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc
    His breathing is more than often quiet just that one today while he was just beginning to fall asleep he made that “ clicking sound “ it may not even be the exact sound and I could be over worrying but better to be safe then not. Today he is still acting like him self and eating the same as usual as well as sleeping etc. I’m just super worried and want to make sure he doesn’t get pneumonia. What antibiotics can be used? Will Amoxicillin work? I watched that video when I first got him to make sure I knew exactly what to do, so far it’s been fine up until I attempted to use the other syringe but I quickly switched back. Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin4 View Post
    Hello, I’ve had alvin for about a week now he just hit 5 weeks old and opened his eyes a couple days ago.. He’s been doing great eating about 3ml ( 1cc syringe ) peeing and pooping on his own and normally.. Well yesterday I wanted to try the 3cc syringe and didn’t notice it comes out way faster than it should, I didn’t notice anything come out of his nose but I wiped his face and flipped him over anyways to be safe, waited a few minutes and went back to the 1cc to finish his feeding as he was still hungry.. we finished up his feeding wiped him down and put him back on the heating pad, I could hear a slight clicking but faintly and not with each breath. Today we woke up as usual he’s not sleeping with his mouth open, still eating his same amount and sleeping fine but there’s still that faint sound right before he gets to sleep and then it goes completely away.. He’s been doing so good and I’ve grown to become attached so I’m starting to feel as if I’m failing if he’s sick ... what else should I look out for?? Is it possible he has pneumonia?
    Thank you..
    Please get in touch with Trish ,I'm not sure her profile name, but Skippy knows how to contact her. She helped me treat my baby who had aspirated formula.
    Please,post your comment,in life threatening help needed....because if u feel ur baby is getting sick, hthey don't have long before they are past the point of recovering. My baby went downhill in a few hours. Please post there do that you may find help for Alvin

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzie&Richie's Mom View Post
    Please get in touch with Trish ,I'm not sure her profile name, but Skippy knows how to contact her. She helped me treat my baby who had aspirated formula.
    Please,post your comment,in life threatening help needed....because if u feel ur baby is getting sick, hthey don't have long before they are past the point of recovering. My baby went downhill in a few hours. Please post there do that you may find help for Alvin
    How do I find those members ? I just joined earlier today so I’m not sure how to do much. And thank you!

His breathing is more than often quiet just that one today while he was just beginning to fall asleep he made that “ clicking sound “ it may not even be the exact sound and I could be over worrying but better to be safe then not. Today he is still acting like him self and eating the same as usual as well as sleeping etc. I’m just super worried and want to make sure he doesn’t get pneumonia. What antibiotics can be used? Will Amoxicillin work? I watched that video when I first got him to make sure I knew exactly what to do, so far it’s been fine up until I attempted to use the other syringe but I quickly switched back. Thank you again
    "Baytril (animal)/Cipro (human), Clavamox (animal)/augmentin (human) are drugs that are used frequently for upper respiratory infections. SMZ/TMP, Doxycycline and Clindamycine are other drugs that have been used in squirrels, each has a preferred use based on where the infection is."

The above is a quote from one of the forum's admins.

You may want to PM a couple of admins for further specifics.

How do I find those members ? I just joined earlier today so I’m not sure how to do much. And thank you!
    If you search by user name you ought to be able to find a link to their profiles: HRT4SQRLS, Mel1959 or Stepnstone.

Question Re: Needing help with baby Alvin

If you search by user name you ought to be able to find a link to their profiles: HRT4SQRLS, Mel1959 or Stepnstone.
    Okay, I sent a message to a couple of them and hopes for a reply back soon. Thank for your help.

Thank you..
    A "rush" of formula, choking on formula does not always lead to AP.
    Some babies will have a slight temporary "click" especially after being fed.
    A decrease / loss of appetite normally is the first thing that goes hand in hand with aspiration pneumonia.
    That being said if you want to "test" to be sure his clicking is not consistent, cradle his chest area up to your
    ear like you would a phone and listen to hear if it's continuous with each breath.
    Another way to check for (faint) continuous clicking is to place baby down in a deep Tupperware or plastic type
    container, the container will amplify the sound.

Antibiotics although life saving when necessary can be hard on these babies systems, one does not want to
    administer antibiotics unless it is absolutely necessary.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Before you rush to the antibiotics, try to check and listen to him close to his mouth before you feed him. If you don't hear any clicking, then feed him and again, once he has eaten and all relaxed, try to listen - close to his mouth - after he finishes eating. If he clicks then, but stops clicking when asleep, it means that what you've been hearing the is a sound of contentment... sort of a purr but not like a "rrrrrr" you might say. The pneumonia click comes from the lungs - you'll hear it when putting you ear against his back or chest. The other comes from the mouth, more specifically the palate, a bit like when we click our tongue. At the age of 5 and 6 weeks many babies switch to making that noise instead of the classic purr "rrrr" sound they make when 3 or 4 weeks old.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    A "rush" of formula, choking on formula does not always lead to AP.
    Some babies will have a slight temporary "click" especially after being fed.
    A decrease / loss of appetite normally is the first thing that goes hand in hand with aspiration pneumonia.
    That being said if you want to "test" to be sure his clicking is not consistent, cradle his chest area up to your
    ear like you would a phone and listen to hear if it's continuous with each breath.
    Another way to check for (faint) continuous clicking is to place baby down in a deep Tupperware or plastic type
    container, the container will amplify the sound.

Antibiotics although life saving when necessary can be hard on these babies systems, one does not want to
    administer antibiotics unless it is absolutely necessary.
    Thank you so much for your response, it’s only been a day but he’s still wanting to eat and just as much as before, I can’t quit tell if the clicking is coming from his mouth ( when he starts to fall asleep the noise arises ) or his chest since when I pick him up he begins to dose off again so he’s making the noise all over again.its definitely a clicking or popping sounds but could easily be coming from his mouth and not his nose. I’ll also try the tupperware container, lid on or off?
    I didn’t want to rush and find antibiotics to give him because I know if not needed it can do more harm then good. I’m super stressed about making sure he’s okay. How long after the possible aspiration would I know if he had ap?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    Before you rush to the antibiotics, try to check and listen to him close to his mouth before you feed him. If you don't hear any clicking, then feed him and again, once he has eaten and all relaxed, try to listen - close to his mouth - after he finishes eating. If he clicks then, but stops clicking when asleep, it means that what you've been hearing the is a sound of contentment... sort of a purr but not like a "rrrrrr" you might say. The pneumonia click comes from the lungs - you'll hear it when putting you ear against his back or chest. The other comes from the mouth, more specifically the palate, a bit like when we click our tongue. At the age of 5 and 6 weeks many babies switch to making that noise instead of the classic purr "rrrr" sound they make when 3 or 4 weeks old.
    This way very helpful, he falls asleep so fast and since he’s so small his back and mouth or so close so as soon as I’m picking him up to check to make sure it’s his mouth and not his chest or back he’s making the sound again from his mouth making it hard to determine if it’s from his chest

As far as the purring sound is concerned, it is rapid (faster than the respiration rate) and relatively brief (I have never heard it last longer than 30 seconds, usually less than 10, in my experience.)

As far as the purring sound is concerned, it is rapid (faster than the respiration rate) and relatively brief (I have never heard it last longer than 30 seconds, usually less than 10, in my experience.)
    Would the clicking/ popping sound be constant wether he’s awake or sleeping? Or would it just be when he’s asleep?? Also, do you know how soon after a possible aspiration he would show symptoms of ap?

Would the clicking/ popping sound be constant wether he’s awake or sleeping? Or would it just be when he’s asleep?? Also, do you know how soon after a possible aspiration he would show symptoms of ap?
    Yes, it would be constant, aspiration pneumonia takes them down fast!
    Loss of appetite, refusing to eat, lethargy.
    They can aspirate getting pneumonia and began clicking within several hours.
    Understand that when they aspirate the "fluid" goes straight to the lungs,
    fluid in the lungs is what causes the pneumonia.

And yes, lid off on container would allow you to hear if there was consistent clicking.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Yes, it would be constant, aspiration pneumonia takes them down fast!
    Loss of appetite, refusing to eat, lethargy.
    They can aspirate getting pneumonia and began clicking within several hours.
    Understand that when they aspirate the "fluid" goes straight to the lungs,
    fluid in the lungs is what causes the pneumonia.

And yes, lid off on container would allow you to hear if there was consistent clicking.
    It’s been about 24 hours or so since it happened, he’s eaten 3 times since then and still has been eating, sleeping and using the bathroom the same. Would signs other than clicking be showing by now? I don’t want to give him medicine if he’s okay since it can be harsh but I just want to be sure he’s fine. The clicking isn’t constant I’m not sure if that means nothing to worry about Or if it’s just too early. Thank you again

It’s been about 24 hours or so since it happened, he’s eaten 3 times since then and still has been eating, sleeping and using the bathroom the same. Would signs other than clicking be showing by now? I don’t want to give him medicine if he’s okay since it can be harsh but I just want to be sure he’s fine. The clicking isn’t constant I’m not sure if that means nothing to worry about Or if it’s just too early. Thank you again

He don't have AP............
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Alvin4 (10-14-2020)

"Baytril (animal)/Cipro (human), Clavamox (animal)/augmentin (human) are drugs that are used frequently for upper respiratory infections. SMZ/TMP, Doxycycline and Clindamycine are other drugs that have been used in squirrels, each has a preferred use based on where the infection is."
    Clindamycin is not an effective treatment for AP and Doxycycline should never be used if expired (it actually becomes toxic versus less effective like most antibiotics). Having something on hand is always advisable, even though it seems your baby does not have AP currently.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

stepnstone (10-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Clindamycin is not an effective treatment for AP and Doxycycline should never be used if expired (it actually becomes toxic versus less effective like most antibiotics). Having something on hand is always advisable, even though it seems your baby does not have AP currently.
    Thank you!