Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know what this bald patch with scaly skin could be?

Default Re: Anyone know what this bald patch with scaly skin could be?

I was just reading this thread, when I saw ringworm mentioned, I did a google search, because I don't know what ringworm is. (I am new to all this).

I found this on Dr.Weils site:[for people, not squirrels]
    The main symptom of ringworm is a raised, circular rash that is red, and very mildly inflamed with scaling edges and clear, normal skin in the middle. It is typically very itchy and may blister and ooze. This ring-shaped rash can be caused by a number of different fungi and occur anywhere on a person's skin (tinea corporis), scalp (tinea capitis) , or nails (tinea unguium). When ringworm affects the feet, it is called athlete's foot (tinea pedis); when it occurs in the groin area, it is called jock itch (tinea cruris).

When I saw the part that said, "when ringworm affects the feet, it is called athlete's foot."

I saw the connection between ringworm and athletes foot, for myself, I found a lovely athletes foot remedy, sesame oil, applied to the feet area twice a day completely eliminated it within a week or two, without any side effects of the skin burning off from chemical applications. This is apparently normal protocol in Ayervedic medicine. Sesame oil has properties in it that kill fungus.

Just passing it on in case it would be of help to anyone, and or Squirrels!!. I would think that it would be safe to use on squirrels. Let me know if anyone knows differently. I am not an expert at all on this, but it seems to me if athletes foot, is ringworm, then sesame oil should do the same thing on feet or body parts....to anything that is of this particular fungus.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

lennysmom (06-20-2016), Nancy in New York (06-20-2016)

How's your gorgeous little man doing today?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DarkLies212 from:

lennysmom (06-20-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLies212 View Post
    How's your gorgeous little man doing today?
    About the same so far today, thanks for asking. I read online that ringworm can take 10 to 15 days to go away, if that is indeed what he has and based on what I see, I am leaning towards that.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    About the same so far today, thanks for asking. I read online that ringworm can take 10 to 15 days to go away, if that is indeed what he has and based on what I see, I am leaning towards that.
    Let's start the countdown

Quote Originally Posted by Lighten-Up View Post
    I was just reading this thread, when I saw ringworm mentioned, I did a google search, because I don't know what ringworm is. (I am new to all this).

The main symptom of ringworm is a raised, circular rash that is red, and very mildly inflamed with scaling edges and clear, normal skin in the middle. It is typically very itchy and may blister and ooze. This ring-shaped rash can be caused by a number of different fungi and occur anywhere on a person's skin (tinea corporis), scalp (tinea capitis) , or nails (tinea unguium). When ringworm affects the feet, it is called athlete's foot (tinea pedis); when it occurs in the groin area, it is called jock itch (tinea cruris).

When I saw the part that said, "when ringworm affects the feet, it is called athlete's foot."

I saw the connection between ringworm and athletes foot, for myself, I found a lovely athletes foot remedy, sesame oil, applied to the feet area twice a day completely eliminated it within a week or two, without any side effects of the skin burning off from chemical applications. This is apparently normal protocol in Ayervedic medicine. Sesame oil has properties in it that kill fungus.

Just passing it on in case it would be of help to anyone, and or Squirrels!!. I would think that it would be safe to use on squirrels. Let me know if anyone knows differently. I am not an expert at all on this, but it seems to me if athletes foot, is ringworm, then sesame oil should do the same thing on feet or body parts....to anything that is of this particular fungus.
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. I found some sesame oil online on Amazon and I will order some today.
    I've been doing some research on natural remedies since he may very well lick it off and I don't want to put the human antifungal creme on it for that reason. I also read that coconut oil can help with ringworm. I have some of that on hand, so until the sesame oil comes in, I may try that after the betadine rinse.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLies212 View Post
    Let's start the countdown
    I hope it's a short countdown and that it doesn't spread in the meantime.

Just wanted to post an update on Angel's rash - seems to be doing much better. So far all I have used is betadine rinse as I am waiting for the sesme oil to come in. The way it is going, I may not even need to use it.

And here's what it looked like yesterday

Glad things are improving for sweet Angel Squeakers!

To be honest, it does not look all that different to me in those pictures, perhaps a bit less red? But often pictures don't really capture what is going on.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Sesame oil? You aren't going to stir fry him, are you? POOR ANGEL!!!

Coconut oil does as well and is a common ringworm medication.

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Glad things are improving for sweet Angel Squeakers!

To be honest, it does not look all that different to me in those pictures, perhaps a bit less red? But often pictures don't really capture what is going on.
    Thanks TD. Yeah, the raised red ring part is disappearing but I guess it is kind of hard to tell from the pics. And yes, it is much less red overall as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post

Oh goodness CritterMom, no certainly not to baste him!!
    It was in response to what Lighten-up said had helped her with a similar issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighten-Up View Post

New treatments often get interesting reactions... :-)
    ...a healing oil, not a basting oil!

I agree that coconut oil has fabulous healing properties, and would not hesitate to use it. From what I am learning in Ayurvedic Medicine, they seem to prefer sesame oil for this type of fungus, so maybe in this application it has an edge over coconut oil. I am not an expert in this, still learning, but I love that it is natural with no side effects.

The photos don't demonstrate that much of an improvement but if you see clean skin without the scaliness then it's probably getting better. It can take weeks or even months to get rid of ringworm but it can also resolve itself in a few weeks. There are a bunch of different kinds of ringworm and some are stronger than others. The only way to know it's cleared is to see fur growing back. Are you bathing him regularly and applying an anti-fungal cream? They're not toxic so don't worry about him ingesting it. Also, don't feel like this is your fault. Ringworm naturally occurs in the environment so it could have been tracked in on your shoes or the spores could have come through the windows.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MiriamS from:

lennysmom (06-30-2016)

A place where the squirrels love to scamper!

I was just going to say that about coconut oil. Rub some on the area at least twice a day and give her little to eat on a treat too, unless she licks it off the area in which case she'll already be getting some inside and out. My girls hate coconut oil because I used it in the past on them to get rid of a bad ringworm case, but even so, it worked like a charm. I noticed a difference within 24 hours.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Skayda from:

lennysmom (06-30-2016)

It looks like ringworm idk if squirrels can get it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12