Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Block Recipes?

Default Re: Squirrel Block Recipes?

flour is optional.

as for cooking time - yes, the low temp is not to kill the vitamins. Because of the low temps you will want to keep the baking time as specified - 1.5hrs.
    You don't want them to eat some underbaked stuff. With such a low temp, longer baking time is needed.

I baked both - with flour (but not wheat) and without flour - both times came out fine and edible.

jbillings Guest

Mine were wet and sticky too so I kept adding FV to the mix until they became the consistency of pie crust. Not sure if that is the best way to do it but it worked out great and they ended up looking almost identical to HHB's! Who knows, maybe that's a secret ingredient of hers

I followed the recipe and converted the grams to cups and so forth. I also made it with the wheat flour and tweaked a few other things but they came out just like Henry's blocks. Better than the first time and the vitamins ARE a must and Henry's has the best mix of vitamins and Pure Protein Isolate. The whey you get at the store doesn't have the amount of protein that Henry's has.
    The first two pictures are my first attempt at making the blocks and without the wheat flour. Notice how hard and brittle they were. My little nuts still ate them.
    Name:  20131017_174021.jpeg
Views: 364
Size:  323.9 KBName:  20131017_174247.jpeg
Views: 377
Size:  393.4 KB

This photo is my second and successful batch with the wheat flour. I only baked these 1 hour instead of the 1 and a half hours the recipe called for. I formed it into a loaf before I baked it. They are very dense but not dried out.
    Name:  20131026_204309.jpeg
Views: 345
Size:  265.6 KB

Not sure if this thread is too old to ask a question here, but I want to try this out. I was planing on getting some henry blocks for my little guy (hope that it will clear up his eye) but now I'm wondering if getting the powder would be best for longer term and making these instead... Can anyone give me any incite on this, thanks

I make my own. I make a double batch each time( uses one cookie sheet) and make two changes, I use homemade oat flour instead of whole wheat flour and I use Hazelnuts (filberts) to replace almost all the pecans. Also the new recipe calls for only 33 grams of the vitamin mix but I do buy the bulk 200 gram package. I cut about one batch for my grey squirrels and the last into smaller size for my flyers. I freeze all using quart size freezer bags, just taking out one or two days worth at a time. They mold very quickly if not frozen!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Great to know! Waiting on the blocks to come in, but will be getting the vitamins to make the next batch! Also, little guys eye started clearing up (gave him one of the pineapple shaped mineral blocks)

Out out of curiosity, did anyone ever try making this with a little acorn flour/ground acorns?
    I'm tempted to give it a try...

Smile Re: Squirrel Block Recipes?

OK, I wanted to ask a few questions. The whey protein isolate, would it be the same thing as a protein powder my husband uses for protein shakes after he works out? Then if I make these can I replace it for hhb? I have about everything to make them but the vitamins and maybe the whey protein. If it can replace it, it will be so much cheaper. How many blocks come in a bag of the hhb, how long would it feed 3 babies? Just trying to weigh my options.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcorbitt View Post
    OK, I wanted to ask a few questions. The whey protein isolate, would it be the same thing as a protein powder my husband uses for protein shakes after he works out?
    That's what I use to make my blocks. Then if I make these can I replace it for hhb?I replace mine for the purchased.

I have about everything to make them but the vitamins and maybe the whey protein.Buy the vitamins from the site. They are sold in a 33 gram package since the recipe has been changed. If it can replace it, it will be so much cheaper. How many blocks come in a bag of the hhb, how long would it feed 3 babies? 30 blocks to a bag, 3 babies times 2 blocks a day = 90 blocks. 3 babies and 1 bag of 30 = 5 days! Feeding just one a day the blocks will be gone in just 10 days. That's why I make mine. Plus I control how much or what goes into them. The very first recipe called for pure whey protein powder (the brand recommended at that time was the "Now" brand purchased online).Just trying to weigh my options.
    ​And that is why I make my own!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Sarah08 Guest

My fur girl ate a bit raw, had maybe 1 cookie/block and has refused them since, she's trying to search the cage for anything else what are some other options for a 2 yr old who has only had fruits, veg, yogurt, seeds and nuts all her life (till I found this group)

Do you mean she's not eating her blocks? What kind?

Sarah08 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Do you mean she's not eating her blocks? What kind?
    Yes, I made the recipe with all the vitamins crushed, ground almonds/pecans, protein powder etc. she refuses them, she would rather go hungry

It is imperative that she eat them. What's your recipe? Have you presented them in various ways? SOme like them warm, chilled, sliced, with oil, with fruit juice, etc. You just have to keep trying. Have you tried making boo balls?

Wanted to ask. Two shelled almonds coated liberally with Henry vitamins,and or avocado coated with vitamins as well daily.Should i feel at ease? One of my squirrels refuses block in ANY form. I've tried evrything. Even starving him.Very hard headed.

Wanted to add,he was eating blocks mixed avocado with no problem for a long time. Apparently,time passes,things change.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLittleSquirrely View Post
    Wanted to ask. Two shelled almonds coated liberally with Henry vitamins,and or avocado coated with vitamins as well daily.Should i feel at ease? One of my squirrels refuses block in ANY form. I've tried evrything. Even starving him.Very hard headed.
    doubt that.
    You don't know just how many vits and minerals he is getting and how much gets brushed off etc.

Have you tried making balls with them:

crush blocks, add some unsweetened apple baby food (or even just a drop of water) - just enough to make the crushed mass slightly moist, but not too wet.
    Add some natural almond butter (or crushed nuts) - mix thoroughly and shape into balls.

how many blocks to crush?
    -- you can either do daily fresh: two per day, in which case you will only need literally a drop of something to make it moist (baby food or even plain water), and less than a tsp of almond butter/crushed nuts

-- you can make weekly batches, or bi-weekly batches or a whole monthly supply.
    In which case you will need to add more moistening agent and more almond butter/crushed nuts. How much of each? - it will depend on how big your batch is, you will be able to figure it out quickly: you don't want it to be too wet because you won't be able to shape them.
    After you do it a couple of times, you will know exactly how much of each you will need.
    Always add moistening ingredient gradually in order not to make it too wet.

The only problem with monthly supplies - they tend to lose flavour being stored for so long. Which may work for a regular eater, but picky ones are very sensitive to that and may turn their noses up.
    So, it is best to make smaller a few-days/week worth batches to keep the flavour and taste fresh.
    Just make sure that the amount of balls is equivalent to the amount of HHBs, meaning:

Example:
    for a weekly 7-day supply:
    crush 14 HHBs and make 14 balls, feeding 2 balls per day for 7 days.
    Give them first thing in the morning, and do not leave any food overnight (some sqs wake up for a midnight snack, which makes them less hungry in am).

Keep balls in the fridge.

These balls seems to be working even for the pickiest.
    Add a bit more almond butter/crushed nuts in the beginning, and then see if you can gradually reduce their amount to help your little guy get used to the block taste.

PS if you can find some nice natural almond butter, or almond-hazelnut combination - this may help the matters greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    doubt that.
    You don't know just how many vits and minerals he is getting and how much gets brushed off etc.

Have you tried making balls with them:

crush blocks, add some unsweetened apple baby food (or even just a drop of water) - just enough to make the crushed mass slightly moist, but not too wet.
    Add some natural almond butter (or crushed nuts) - mix thoroughly and shape into balls.

how many blocks to crush?
    -- you can either do daily fresh: two per day, in which case you will only need literally a drop of something to make it moist (baby food or even plain water), and less than a tsp of almond butter/crushed nuts

-- you can make weekly batches, or bi-weekly batches or a whole monthly supply.
    In which case you will need to add more moistening agent and more almond butter/crushed nuts. How much of each? - it will depend on how big your batch is, you will be able to figure it out quickly: you don't want it to be too wet because you won't be able to shape them.
    After you do it a couple of times, you will know exactly how much of each you will need.
    Always add moistening ingredient gradually in order not to make it too wet.

The only problem with monthly supplies - they tend to lose flavour being stored for so long. Which may work for a regular eater, but picky ones are very sensitive to that and may turn their noses up.
    So, it is best to make smaller a few-days/week worth batches to keep the flavour and taste fresh.
    Just make sure that the amount of balls is equivalent to the amount of HHBs, meaning:

Example:
    for a weekly 7-day supply:
    crush 14 HHBs and make 14 balls, feeding 2 balls per day for 7 days.
    Give them first thing in the morning, and do not leave any food overnight (some sqs wake up for a midnight snack, which makes them less hungry in am).

Keep balls in the fridge.

These balls seems to be working even for the pickiest.
    Add a bit more almond butter/crushed nuts in the beginning, and then see if you can gradually reduce their amount to help your little guy get used to the block taste.

PS if you can find some nice natural almond butter, or almond-hazelnut combination - this may help the matters greatly.

Thank you. I've been trying several different type of ball concoctions, but he seems to know what i'm up to. I'll keep at it.

Thank you. I've been trying several different type of ball concoctions, but he seems to know what i'm up to. I'll keep at it.
    yes, do keep trying. Maybe you will find a magic combination.
    Sometimes for very picky eaters, a little bit of black strap molasses could be added to the block recipe to make it a bit more appealing.
    Maybe, you could try adding some molasses to the balls? Not all balls, but try a couple and see how that goes?
    Just use whatever minimally processed molasses you can find.
    Add just a little bit to give it a flavour/taste kick, so to speak. Maybe, he will like it a little bit sweeter.

Maybe, after you make the balls, roll them in finely grounded nuts for an extra appeal.

Does he still eat his avocado?
    Because in the meantime, you could try to measure a daily vit. serving (it is listed on the package with vitamins) and roll a piece of avocado in it.
    But it will be best if a "solid" food solution could be found, like balls or "doctored" blocks, because with dusting it can be very hard to keep track of what actually gets eaten.
    But avocados or anything sticky like that is better than dusting almonds: vit powder does not stick to almonds and gets brushed off.

Please share when you finally find the magic combination

Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    yes, do keep trying. Maybe you will find a magic combination.
    Sometimes for very picky eaters, a little bit of black strap molasses could be added to the block recipe to make it a bit more appealing.
    Maybe, you could try adding some molasses to the balls? Not all balls, but try a couple and see how that goes?
    Just use whatever minimally processed molasses you can find.
    Add just a little bit to give it a flavour/taste kick, so to speak. Maybe, he will like it a little bit sweeter.

Maybe, after you make the balls, roll them in finely grounded nuts for an extra appeal.

Does he still eat his avocado?
    Because in the meantime, you could try to measure a daily vit. serving (it is listed on the package with vitamins) and roll a piece of avocado in it.
    But it will be best if a "solid" food solution could be found, like balls or "doctored" blocks, because with dusting it can be very hard to keep track of what actually gets eaten.
    But avocados or anything sticky like that is better than dusting almonds: vit powder does not stick to almonds and gets brushed off.

Please share when you finally find the magic combination
    He used to eat the Avocado balls mixed with block no problem'.Now he just wants the "Real deal" Real nuts,real fruit, ect No fancy phoney baloney blocks or balls.So i tried making avocado sandwitches with vitamins mixed in. I also take a shelled almond,scrape one side off and soak it water for an hour before i dust it with vitamins. I've watched him eat them. vitamins gets into him.I figure it's better than nothing at all.He also eats veggys pretty good.I just wanted to make sure ,or at least figure a way to get those blocks into his tummy.

He used to eat the Avocado balls mixed with block no problem'.Now he just wants the "Real deal" Real nuts,real fruit, ect No fancy phoney baloney blocks or balls.So i tried making avocado sandwitches with vitamins mixed in. I also take a shelled almond,scrape one side off and soak it water for an hour before i dust it with vitamins. I've watched him eat them. vitamins gets into him.I figure it's better than nothing at all.He also eats veggys pretty good.I just wanted to make sure ,or at least figure a way to get those blocks into his tummy.
    I am sure many hear your pain.

Soaking almonds - that's a clever idea! Yes, definitely , better than nothing.

Hope you will find some solution.
    And maybe, this phase will pass and he will become more receptive to the balls and such.

Maybe, give him a break for a week or two from anything that resembles block (just keep dusting soaked almonds). Then try again.

Sometimes, people give them a whole day of veggies and greens only (or a couple of days) after which they start eating block.

Or, when sqs refuse to eat veggies, people set them up for a day or two of block and block-type stuff only (some use Harlans for that), after which sqs start eating veggies.

Maybe, he just needs a break. Just greens + the soaked almond with the vit powder. Nothing else. Keep that for a couple of weeks and re-try block/ball stuff again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast