Thread: 3-4 Week Old Eastern Gray Underweight and Dehydrated

nevetsenolam Guest

Exclamation 3-4 Week Old Eastern Gray Underweight and Dehydrated

My wife an I found a baby Eastern Gray squirrel in a park abandoned with a bloody nose and cut on its tail. It was way too far from any trees or the other squirrels. We tried to observe and see if there were any squirrels in the area, but none appeared. We took it home and began rehydration according to what I found on the net. We have performed rehydration (3cc of Pedialyte ever hour for 6 hours) followed by a diluted puppy formula for the rest of the day. We have done this for the last 6 days because he doesn't appear to be recovering. His back skin still tents for more than 3-4 seconds. It improves after each meal/hydration but an hour later he has urinated most out and is back to where he was before. He's very active when woken, his mouth is moist, gums pink. Another issue is he appears to be 4 weeks old but only 35g. I've been feeding 3cc's but according to the 5-7% rule that's too much.

Am I overthinking this or should I give up and take him to an animal clinic/rescue?

nevetsenolam Guest

Default Re: 3-4 Week Old Eastern Gray Underweight and Dehydrated

To clarify, I gradually move to full strength formula after rehydration.

Can you post up photos? So you are feeding pedialyte every hour for 6 hours and then feeding 3cc every hour for the rest of the day? And this has happened for the last week?

This schedule is not ideal.

To much pedialyte over time will stress/damage kidneys.

Try to offer 5-7% body weight of POWDERED Esbilac Puppy formula every 2 hours with a bit of supplimental straight water inbetween feedings as needed.

Are you stimulating him to pee and poop every time you feed him? What do his poops look like?

Quote Originally Posted by nevetsenolam View Post
    My wife an I found a baby Eastern Gray squirrel in a park abandoned with a bloody nose and cut on its tail. It was way too far from any trees or the other squirrels. We tried to observe and see if there were any squirrels in the area, but none appeared. We took it home and began rehydration according to what I found on the net. We have performed rehydration (3cc of Pedialyte ever hour for 6 hours) followed by a diluted puppy formula for the rest of the day. We have done this for the last 6 days because he doesn't appear to be recovering. His back skin still tents for more than 3-4 seconds. It improves after each meal/hydration but an hour later he has urinated most out and is back to where he was before. He's very active when woken, his mouth is moist, gums pink. Another issue is he appears to be 4 weeks old but only 35g. I've been feeding 3cc's but according to the 5-7% rule that's too much.

Am I overthinking this or should I give up and take him to an animal clinic/rescue?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Where are you located in Fl? I’m in Fl and can help if needed and close. I’m south of Cocoa Bach. There’s also plenty of TSB members on the west coast near Tampa and Lakeland.

First, if you’ve been offering diluted formula for 6 days you need to switch to full strength. You want the Esbilac POWDERED puppy formula, nothing else will do. Mix one part formula to 2 parts water. Are you feeding every 3-4 hrs? Is this babies eyes open? Any hydration (slightly sweetened water) should be given BETWEEN scheduled feedings, not in place of.

The baby should be in a large plastic bin, with 1/2” holes drilled in the top and along the top of the container. One half of the bin needs to be placed on a non-shut off heating pad set to low. Blankets or fleece inside to burrow in.

Is the baby pooping and peeing ok? Can you post a picture so we can help determine age. Our FL squirrels are exceptionally small.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

SammysMom (02-20-2019)

nevetsenolam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Where are you located in Fl? I’m in Fl and can help if needed and close. I’m south of Cocoa Bach. There’s also plenty of TSB members on the west coast near Tampa and Lakeland.

First, if you’ve been offering diluted formula for 6 days you need to switch to full strength. You want the Esbilac POWDERED puppy formula, nothing else will do. Mix one part formula to 2 parts water. Are you feeding every 3-4 hrs? Is this babies eyes open? Any hydration (slightly sweetened water) should be given BETWEEN scheduled feedings, not in place of.

The baby should be in a large plastic bin, with 1/2” holes drilled in the top and along the top of the container. One half of the bin needs to be placed on a non-shut off heating pad set to low. Blankets or fleece inside to burrow in.

Is the baby pooping and peeing ok? Can you post a picture so we can help determine age. Our FL squirrels are exceptionally small.
    I have gone to full strength already. I am using Esbilac and feeding every 3-4 hours. His eyes have yet to open. I will start the hydration mix you suggested and do it between meals. He is peeing, he was pooping solid, now its runny and yellowish. I wasn't using powdered Esbilac - so I will switch to that. Here is a video of me showing his skin, feeding him, and getting him to pee. Please be critical - but be nice... I'm doing my best

https://youtu.be/XETxssFjfUU

In the video you will notice he is sucking rather hard - it looks like he's choking, but he's not aspirating. I pull back when he does that. Should I open the nipple a bit more? I cut a cross in the middle and made sure the fluid drips easily. But if he is sucking that hard and not moving the syringe - maybe I should make it easier? I know to keep him from pulling to much on it... just curious if I am doing this right.

That is a little girl. (based on video at 3:50) About 4 weeks old, she will open her eyes when white fur is about 2/3rds covering the tummy from top to bottom.

I would move to a 1ml syringe, for more control and less chance of aspiration. It looks like you are using a 5ml, but using a good angle and being very careful.

You should pinch the skin up on the neck, right behind the skull. Pinching the middle of the back can give false readings, as she may need to grow into that skin.
    Runny poop would normally indicate either over feeding or over hydration.

Her tummy looks good after the feeding, with a nice milk line.

Since she is a single, with no siblings, you may want to give her some extra rubbing and petting to make her feel secure, and stimulate her digestion.

She should not be able to 'move a syringe' at this age.. especially a 5ml.
    If the syringe moves too easily it would increase the chance of aspiration.
    Yes, they suck hard. I did not see her sneezing or anything, so your pace looks good.

On the sex confusion... little girl squirrels have a nub right next to the anus, while there is about a one inch separation between them with little boys, with a testicle sack between them, and the nub is about three times this size.
    Here is an example of a 5 week old little boy (just starting to open his eyes) so you can compare:
    Name:  IMG_0360.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  104.2 KB

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Nancy in New York (02-20-2019)

Another shot of a girl and boy.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Mel1959 (02-20-2019), stepnstone (02-20-2019)

The nipple you're using is rather large for a baby squirrel. I assume it came from a kitten or puppy feeding kit. If you are going to raise her yourself you should invest in some decent O ring syringes and Miracle nipples. You will be using them to feed for many more weeks and it makes the job so much easier. The nipples and syringes can be purchased online at Henrys Healthy Pets.

You don’t mention where you are. If you are anywhere close to me on the east coast or on the west coast of Florida near Tampa there are members that have supplies that they could give you. There’s also several rehabbers that could take the baby if you wanted.

The loose stool is because of the wrong formula. It is imperative that you get the correct powdered puppy Esbilac as soon as possible. This is also why she’s not gaining weight. She’s not getting the nutrition she needs. Powdered puppy Esbilac can be found at Pet Supermarket, Tractor Supply and sometimes at small local feed stores.

You don’t have to wear rubber gloves unless you’re more comfortable that way. Baby squirrels, and squirrels in general, don't typically carry diseases. Your scent on her will not make a difference when it comes time for release.

Name:  i-fbcDH6c-S.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  65.8 KB
    Last edited by stepnstone; 02-20-2019 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added pic

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Nancy in New York (02-20-2019), stepnstone (02-20-2019)

How’s your little one doing?

nevetsenolam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    How’s your little one doing?
    She's doing great - gaining weight and looking alot more healthy. The right food makes the difference. I'll keep you all updated on her progress. Thanks for all your help!

17. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to nevetsenolam:

Mel1959 (02-22-2019), redwuff (02-22-2019), SammysMom (02-21-2019), stepnstone (02-21-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 1