Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Esbilac UPDATE: OK to use

Thumbs up Esbilac UPDATE: OK to use

PetAg, the makers of Esbilac puppy formula, has recently informed some Esbilac users that the “ingredient particles” of the calcium source in the Esbilac formula may be too large to be properly digested by small mammals. This change appears to have been made in recent months.

TSB has been seeing members report a higher than normal rate of diarrhea, constipation, bloating and now bone (MBD) issues with babies being fed the Esbilac formula in the fall 2019 season.

Update 10/02/2019
    As a result of the Esbilac fiasco the following is a "permanent" formula for use for babies up to 4 weeks old.

hGMF+ (Homemade Goat's Milk Formula Plus (Not temporary, for use in babies up to 4 weeks)):

• 3 parts Goat's Milk
    • 3 parts plain yogurt
    • 2 parts heavy cream
    • 1 Egg Yolk for per cup of formula

To make 1 Cup of formula:

• 6 Tablespoons of Goat's Milk
    • 6 Tablespoons of yogurt
    • 4 Tablespoons of heavy cream
    • 1 Egg Yolk for per cup of formula

To make 1/2 Cup of formula:

• 3 Tablespoons of Goat's Milk
    • 3 Tablespoons of yogurt
    • 2 Tablespoons of heavy cream
    • 1/2 Egg Yolk for per cup of formula (The unused 1/2 egg yolk can be saved in the fridge (covered) for the next day's batch)

We consider this to be super-perishable, so 24 hours in the fridge max.

More detailed information on this goat's milk formula can be found in the following link:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ilk-Formula***

If your babies are 3 ½ weeks or older, please order Fox Valley 20/50 and transition your babies to that when it arrives. Here are links to a few of the on-line retailers of Fox Valley 20/50:

https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valle...formula-20-50/

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Valley-DA.../dp/B00EFX23LM

If your babies are younger than 3 ½ weeks, we recommend you keep them on the temporary Goat’s Milk formula until they are 4 weeks old then transition to Fox Valley 20/50. Also please monitor this thread in event this recommendation changes and an alternative is identified (this is our hope).

We realize that not having an "off the shelf" option for baby squirrel formula will be inconvenient for many but raising healthy happy babies is our mission and that requires buying formula on-line… at least for now!
    Last edited by Spanky; 10-02-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Updated hGMF+ 10/02/2019

2. 38 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

cava (11-09-2019), Cesta (07-01-2020), Chirps (09-08-2019), ClemC5 (07-21-2020), cleolovelee (10-31-2019), Diggie's Friend (09-08-2019), DixiesMom (09-08-2019), EarlsMom (06-22-2021), Grinderhead (09-08-2019), gunpackingrandma (09-17-2019), Hrk (09-12-2019), HRT4SQRLS (09-08-2019), ionian (09-10-2019), island rehabber (09-08-2019), Jeltje (09-13-2019), Jerri (09-17-2019), LanSeaAir (10-28-2019), lennysmom (09-08-2019), Mel1959 (09-09-2019), MotherOfBadgers (10-10-2019), Nancy in New York (09-08-2019), PennyinBama (09-08-2019), PeteyPancake (09-10-2019), redwuff (09-08-2019), Rocky1 (03-20-2020), Sara (07-27-2020), Scooterzmom (04-19-2020), Sir Rodney (09-09-2019), Skyler's Mom (09-29-2019), squirrelena (09-17-2019), SugarMom (09-08-2019), theletterv (09-10-2019), tt3 (09-25-2019), TubeDriver (09-09-2019), UwantSomaThis (09-15-2019), Vox (09-10-2019), Xine Bouthillier (09-18-2019)

Default Re: Esbilac Warning (Fall 2019)

I was wondering whether a small amount of plain whole fat goat kefir would be good to add to the goat milk to enrich it, seeing the kefir is high in fat and very low in sugar?

(scroll down to see nutrient profile)

https://redwoodhill.com/products/plain-kefir/

Not sure where to put this but the big yellow banner warning about Esbilac locks me out when I click on it. Says I dont have permissions or something.

Edit: Never mind, I tried it again and it went to the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    I was wondering whether a small amount of plain whole fat goat kefir would be good to add to the goat milk to enrich it, seeing the kefir is high in fat and very low in sugar?

(scroll down to see nutrient profile)

https://redwoodhill.com/products/plain-kefir/
    You don't need to buy Kefir. We know the above recipe works, no need to add more to it.

Spanky, if you're using Goats Milk, why wouldn't you just use GME It can be kept for 48 hours, where as Goats Milk has to be mixed for each feeding?
    Last edited by island rehabber; 09-09-2019 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Left the statement, sans the snark. :)
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

You don't need to buy Kefir. We know the above recipe works, no need to add more to it.
    I didn't say kefir was needed, nor was I challenging that this recipe doesn't work well as is.

I was just wanted to know if the source could be used, that is instead of whipping crème, as a source of extra fat, since its also high in nutrients. I knew someone that added yogurt, and wanted your opinion on this source as a possible option.

I just logged onto the board searching for help with what appears to be bloat and one of my 5 to 6 week old babies. Anything else I can do besides stop esbilac? Also, will I see any side effects from switching to the goats milk formula?

I have suspected issues with the new batch of formula and now my suspicions are confirmed. Despite it being 1 AM I’m heading to the grocery store now.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurenKimberly888 View Post
    I just logged onto the board searching for help with what appears to be bloat and one of my 5 to 6 week old babies. Anything else I can do besides stop esbilac? Also, will I see any side effects from switching to the goats milk formula?

I have suspected issues with the new batch of formula and now my suspicions are confirmed. Despite it being 1 AM I’m heading to the grocery store now.
    Also, should I immediately stop feeding esbilac in all 3 of my squirrels? One is showing severe symptoms. Initially it was loose bowels. Now he is slightly bloated with a more firm tummy. He’s the runt of the group.
    The other 2 have had harder and darker stools but otherwise are not showing any I’ll symptoms. In those 2 should I stop immediately, slowly wean, or keep feeding esbilac until I can get some fox valley?

Thanks!
    Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post
    Spanky, if you're using Goats Milk, why wouldn't you just use GME It can be kept for 48 hours, where as Goats Milk has to be mixed for each feeding?
    My initial post is the current consensus recommendation of the TSB Admins and what we have confidence in recommending. The following is my reply to the question fully acknowledging I am rookie when compared to the other admins and untold numbers of TSB members.

Esbilac and Goat's Milk Esbilac (GME) are both PetAg products...

a) While PetAg has said the GME does not contain the same dicalcium phosphate ingredient, at this point we are not convinced that the calcium issue is the only problem based upon what has been occurring with babies on the Esbilac this fall (this includes other species that have been impacted even more dramatically than squirrels).
    b) We do not have large knowledge base and confidence upon which to confidently recommend the GME ***.
    c) We do have the knowledge base and confidence in the homemade goat's milk formula.

But as in the original post, one of our very biggest concerns is not having an off-the-shelf formula recommendation at this time but we do hope that changes.

*** I created a new thread to discuss, share and build a knowledge base for GME here:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...38#post1299738

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Diggie's Friend (09-10-2019), island rehabber (09-09-2019), PennyCash (10-29-2020)

Anything else I can do besides stop esbilac? Also, will I see any side effects from switching to the goats milk formula?
    Also, should I immediately stop feeding esbilac in all 3 of my squirrels? One is showing severe symptoms. Initially it was loose bowels. Now he is slightly bloated with a more firm tummy. He’s the runt of the group.
    The other 2 have had harder and darker stools but otherwise are not showing any I’ll symptoms. In those 2 should I stop immediately, slowly wean, or keep feeding esbilac until I can get some fox valley?

Thanks!
    Lauren
    If the symptoms that are showing are MBD, I would start them on the MBD protocol. If it is the diarrhea, constipation, bloat the Goats milk formula should help with that. At 5 - 6 weeks I would transition them over in just a few feedings and not over days.

Thank you. I will stop the esbilac cold turkey in the one with abdominal firmness and bowel issues. In the other 2, I will transition.

Thinking 75 esbilac/ 25 goats milk recipe to start?

Thanks again for the quick response!

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Could admin please lock this thread. This back and forth is already confusing a very serious issue. The keifer and GME don't belong in this thread those are discussions for another thread. GME already has it's own thread, thank you Spanky.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Asos (09-09-2019), Xine Bouthillier (09-18-2019)

Is there a list of expiration dates that are effected.

I have a can with expiration date 12/20 that I opened 8/27, and I also see that CS&M sent me the can without probiotics. Last one had it.
    I just assumed that all Esbilac had it now , so I didn't look for it on the label. Didn't know it was still made without, or did they just sent me the
    older product to get rid of it.

Perhaps this is why I am having babies to diarrhea.

Let me clarify what I meant,

I am wondering if the problem I am having with diarrhea is the problem with Esbilac 2019.

Is there a list of effected expiration dates.

Whisper I am going to say that I believe it is due to the Esbilac problem and I would stop use of it immediately ...I will leave this thread open unless other admins strongly disagree, but let's try to stay on topic.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by whisperer View Post
    Let me clarify what I meant,

I am wondering if the problem I am having with diarrhea is the problem with Esbilac 2019.

Is there a list of effected expiration dates.
    We do not know the lots of affected products and anecdotally we have members that have not had problems and those that did with expiration dates were the same. I am one of the fortunate ones that has not had issues, although I did take in a pair with fractures that were on Esbilac with another experienced caretaker for a week before coming here. They had diarrhea and I had convinced myself the original caretaker was not using Esbilac or maybe using the canned liquid, but now I know I was very wrong to think that. They also had fractures that the vet said they were older than a week... but now I am questioning everything!!! I have stopped using Esbilac and switched to FV 20/50; all my babies are eyes opened at this point.

I would switch to FV, it is not worth the risk.

If you contact PetAg they may refund your money or replace the can (Zoologic 33/40?).

Thanks Island Rebabber,

I will call Petag about the dates

Quote Originally Posted by whisperer View Post
    I also see that CS&M sent me the can without probiotics. Last one had it.
    They took the blue banner off the newer cans, and moved the probiotics listing to the back of the can.
    They claim it still has probiotics.
    Not having the blue banner on the front is probably a good way to identify cans from the new supplier.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Sir Rodney (09-10-2019)

My can still has the blue banner, just not with pre and probiotics listed in the banner
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Are there specific brands I should be purchasing? Im very worried about my baby. Had him for three days now and have been givjng him pedialyte, water and applesauce. I can get these things tomorrow. But still very concerned...

Exclamation Re: Esbilac Warning (Fall 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CallaLily47 View Post
    Are there specific brands I should be purchasing? Im very worried about my baby. Had him for three days now and have been givjng him pedialyte, water and applesauce. I can get these things tomorrow. But still very concerned...
    You need to start him on the temporary goats milk formula (the recipe is in the first post of this thread along with a link to a more detailed thread on the recipe). Applesauce is not sufficient nutrition for a baby squirrel!

The temporary goats milk formula is necessary because there are not any off-the-shelf formulas that are sufficient to meet the nutritional needs of squirrels at this time... that is what this thread is about... the change by the manufacturer to what was the only formula that could be used to raise squirrels: I is no longer suitable and squirrels are getting sick and not doing well! Then order some Fox Valley 20/50 (there are some sites that sell this also listed above) and feed your baby that.

Edit: I just read the thread you started where basically all this same information and more was provided. The "brand" you need to use is Fox Valley 20/50 and it needs to be ordered on-line as it is a specialty formula rehabbers use for squirrels.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

MDV379 (08-22-2020)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast