Thread: HELP SAGE! Re; parasites & diarrhea CONSTANT DIARRHEA SEVEN DAYS!

SweetMelissa Guest

Default HELP SAGE! Re; parasites & diarrhea CONSTANT DIARRHEA SEVEN DAYS!

Hello, I am new to this forum and EXTREMELY DESPERATE! My Sage boy is a fox squirrel about 12 weeks old. He is such a loving vibrant creature and seemed to be doing very well so I released him outside two weeks ago. It was not my intention to release him when I did but he had an habit of making a run for a certain tree in the back yard when he was running around the house and for any reason the door got opened. At first I was insistent in getting him back in, but after a few nights of doing just fine he persuaded me. He visited me every morning and night before and after work.

After noticing he had wet fur on his bottom two days straight I lured him back into the house to his cage. I cared for him for a few days thinking it may just be a stomach upset, a result from the diet change, or an issue I created by feeding him too much; As I was a concerned mama who wanted to make sure he had enough fat for the cold nights and plus food was a good way to lure him over to see me.

Unfortunately the diarrhea did not subside but got much worst, I reached out to some wild-life rescue friends who I am very grateful for. They hooked me up (and paid for) with a vet who was willing to see squirrels. The vet found three different parasites in Sage. He was on amoxicillin and metronidazole for two-three days at which time he was declining quick, exhibiting worse diarrehea than ever. I was directed then to take him off the medications before completing the coarse as the parasites are likely killed, his system isn't reacting well and another antibiotic treatment could be done again down the road to make sure everything is killed off after his health improves. Sage has been off the medication for his second day now he is not eating and barely drinking and still having diarrhea. He was being given pedilyte regularly for a couple days in a row now, which he has been refusing and so now I am just pushing regular purified water as well as a little sweetened water. He has not been eating as he is super dehydrated however I have a little unsweetened pumpkin in his cage to help with his lose diarrhea. Is this ok? Should I offer more food? I keep seeing on this sites not to feed a dehydrated squirrel and the last thing I want to do is make his diarrhea situation any worst. I'm afraid I will lose him at any minute PLEASE HELP!! I need to figure out ASAP how I can stop the diarrhea and get Sage re-hydrated so that he can eat again or he won't make it much longer!

Default Re: HELP SAGE! Re; parasites & diarrhea CONSTANT DIARRHEA SEVEN DAYS!

I don't know where to start....
    Twelve weeks is too young to be released, amoxicillin and metronidazole are not treating the alleged parasites.
    You do need to keep pushing the hydration, I will attach the home made hydration below, at this point he needs the electrolytes. When flavoring plain water preferably flavor with honey instead of sugar.
    He needs nutrition, I would suggest getting some Ensure and try feeding him that. Ensure has an almond flavor that many seem to like.

Please tell us what was the formula he was on and what was his diet he has/had been fed.
    Can you post a picture to better access his condition.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

When mine was very bad off with diarrhea and visibly weakened I used the homemade hydration formula and she started taking a few CCs, then more and more, eventually eating again, that hydration formula saved her. We then were able to get her to take a little yogurt then her regular food again. Best of luck.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JMoe from:

SweetMelissa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    I don't know where to start....
    Twelve weeks is too young to be released, amoxicillin and metronidazole are not treating the alleged parasites.
    You do need to keep pushing the hydration, I will attach the home made hydration below, at this point he needs the electrolytes. When flavoring plain water preferably flavor with honey instead of sugar.
    He needs nutrition, I would suggest getting some Ensure and try feeding him that. Ensure has an almond flavor that many seem to like.

Please tell us what was the formula he was on and what was his diet he has/had been fed.
    Can you post a picture to better access his condition.
    Hey sorry I grossly miscalculated his age. I've been caring for him for three months or a little more. When I started caring for him he was 4-5 weeks old. I will get back to you regarding the other information you asked for but I would like to know, given that information do you still recommend formula to get him some nutrition? Does that recommendation change since he maybe more around 16-18 weeks old? Also what should I give to him for his parasites if the treatment given is not correct?

SweetMelissa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JMoe View Post
    When mine was very bad off with diarrhea and visibly weakened I used the homemade hydration formula and she started taking a few CCs, then more and more, eventually eating again, that hydration formula saved her. We then were able to get her to take a little yogurt then her regular food again. Best of luck.
    That homemade hydration formula was what I did initially before even taking him to the vet. He seemed to respond verily well, I may give that a shot again and see if he takes it. Thanks!

Can you find out from the vet what parasites he found? The metro makes me thing Giardia... Hookworms are really common too and cause stomach issues. Can you get your hands on some Panacur? It works for both of those and is really well tolerated - metro is a weird medicine and the amoxi is probably what tore up his tummy. Panacur, which is the brand name for Fenbendazole is not an antibiotic - it is a "wormer". It is dosed for 2 or three days, and then repeated in 2 weeks. The vet you saw should be able to hook you up.

In the meantime, have you given him anything specifically for the diarrhea? Like Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate? Do you know his weight? Both of them will color his stool really dark to almost black - it is normal, but helpful. After you dose him, keep an eye out and when the poops get black you know that the meds have gone through the system. If the poop is still runny after the pepto goes through, you give another dose. If it appears to be tightening up, hold off on giving more. With his weight (approximate is okay) I can tell you how much to give.

And keep pushing fluids. I would give him DRY food - blocks only.

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

island rehabber (12-30-2018), stepnstone (12-30-2018)

SweetMelissa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Can you find out from the vet what parasites he found? The metro makes me thing Giardia... Hookworms are really common too and cause stomach issues. Can you get your hands on some Panacur? It works for both of those and is really well tolerated - metro is a weird medicine and the amoxi is probably what tore up his tummy. Panacur, which is the brand name for Fenbendazole is not an antibiotic - it is a "wormer". It is dosed for 2 or three days, and then repeated in 2 weeks. The vet you saw should be able to hook you up.

In the meantime, have you given him anything specifically for the diarrhea? Like Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate? Do you know his weight? Both of them will color his stool really dark to almost black - it is normal, but helpful. After you dose him, keep an eye out and when the poops get black you know that the meds have gone through the system. If the poop is still runny after the pepto goes through, you give another dose. If it appears to be tightening up, hold off on giving more. With his weight (approximate is okay) I can tell you how much to give.

And keep pushing fluids. I would give him DRY food - blocks only.
    Ok I will pick up some pepto. I am guessing he is only about 2lbs right now or maybe even less. There is not much to him right now since he has been so sick. I am hopeful this could help, because the poor guys back-end is super inflamed beginning to bleed and I think he is limiting his fluid intake because of the painful diarrhea.

This is a source to fill the need for soil based pre/probiotics for your squirrel, as squirrels in the wild get it from the soil, you don't want to do that with indoor cared for animals, but provide a substitute that has no bad bacteria included. This supports digestion, which supports optimal nutrient support from foods. It also battles bad bacteria, and diarrhea, as it supporting good bowel function.

https://safermedicalmt.com/product/pet-flora/

I would also get this and Old fashioned organic rolled quick cook (not instant) oats. Oats contain glucans, (not be be confused with glutens), glucans soothe the lining of the intestinal tract and support slowing down digestion that can help in regards to stopping diarrhea.

https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Old-F...ed+rolled+oats

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

A conservative dose of either Pepto or Kaopectate would be .35ml, which is about 5 drops if you do not have a syringe. Then wait until you see signs of it coming out the other end of the squirrel! Pepto in particular is unmistakable - they start to poop BLACK. If what you are seeing is still watery and runny, give another dose. At this point you will know how long it takes your guy to process it through his system and can continue to use that to time any more doses if you need them. You want to be careful and do this gradually - you do NOT want to constipate him.

I usually give dry foods that will help to absorb some watery mess in the bowels as it passes. I like rice cereal for this - I have successfully used Rice Chex for this. My guy LOVES them and regards them as treats. Rice Krispies will help too.

Fluids are vital and will be through this. Dehydration can kill them, and if you have to keep ahead of that a drop of fluid at a time, you need to do that.

If this was brought on by the amoxicillen - and it is a "gut buster" drug so I would not be surprised - then you need to repopulate his gut with good bacteria as Diggie mentions. I usually add a pinch of the powder from inside the probiotic capsules they sell at the drug store a day to whatever they are eating. It is sort of sweet so nobody complains.

Also, use a teeny, tiny bit of something like neosporin or even vaseline on his sore little anus. Don't glob it on, nust the tiniest bit to sooth the raw tissues. You need to keep that area as clean as possible, too. Just use clear water to clean it off.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Mel1959 (12-30-2018)

As suggested rice cereal, pumpkin and banana will help firm the stool. Offer hydration fluid often. A dehydrated squirrel won’t eat. The pecan flavored Ensure mixed with a little infant rice cereal may be accepted and will provide some needed nutrition.

I see you say you live in the NE. Not knowing how far north you are, I would say that even if you miscalculated his age and he’s closer to 14-16 weeks old, he needs to be over-wintered. He won’t have a cache of nuts, a suitable drey....or a buddy....to keep him warm. Please take the necessary precautions to see that he doesn’t escape before you want him to.

I hope he recovers soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    As suggested rice cereal, pumpkin and banana will help firm the stool. Offer hydration fluid often. A dehydrated squirrel won’t eat. The pecan flavored Ensure mixed with a little infant rice cereal may be accepted and will provide some needed nutrition.

I see you say you live in the NE. Not knowing how far north you are, I would say that even if you miscalculated his age and he’s closer to 14-16 weeks old, he needs to be over-wintered. He won’t have a cache of nuts, a suitable drey....or a buddy....to keep him warm. Please take the necessary precautions to see that he doesn’t escape before you want him to.

I hope he recovers soon.
    He is a foxer - alas, we don't HAVE them in the Northeast. I bet the poster is in Nebraska - which also means overwintering.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Mel1959 (12-30-2018)

What about the gray coated Delmarva Fox squirrels (Sciurus n. cinereus) ? Last I checked Delaware and New Jersey are in the NE. Just over the bridge(s) and through the woods from the Farm, we hope to take time to visit them on a trip back east for the Gathering. I just love that way they wattle, just like our West Coast Foxers do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtMjCeeGelc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAKbGlQdtig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_f8M7Wt7M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otw5Yagc1jE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gdbHuNPRNw mug shot video

From Wikipedia
    The Delmarva fox squirrel also known as the eastern fox squirrel or Sciurus niger cinereus, was an endangered subspecies of fox squirrel.[3] Its historical range included the Delmarva Peninsula, southeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey, but its natural occurrence is now limited to parts of the Eastern Shore of Maryland and Virginia.[4] In these areas the Delmarva fox squirrel's habitat has been degraded and its survivability rates have decreased. It has, however, been successfully reintroduced in other parts of its historical range

How is this baby doing??

Members who have read this thread: 1