Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: URGENT Treatment for Aflatoxin / Acorn Poisoning

Exclamation URGENT Treatment for Aflatoxin / Acorn Poisoning

I am in desperate need of actual help. I believe my squirrel has acorn poisoning. Does anyone know how to treat acorn poisoning? If it is treatable at all? How long the symptoms may last? Antibiotics? Homeopathic treatments? Anything at all regarding what one can do if this happens?

Default Re: URGENT Treatment for Aflatoxin / Acorn Poisoning

Treating this type of toxin is a difficult task as there isn’t a specific treatment plan that can be followed nor is there an antidote to the poisoning. Prevention and supportive care are the best options when it comes to treatment. Supportive care consists of getting as much of the toxin out of the animals’ system as possible with IV fluids. Activated charcoal can also be used immediately after ingestion to help eliminate as much of the toxin as possible.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (11-22-2020), Squirrel Friend (11-22-2020)

Not sure of a definite solution.

Thoughts that come to mind:
    1. I agree with activated charcoal,
    2. "The solution to pollution is dilution" (offering drinks) and
    3. foods with vitamin k to help counteract excessive bleeding if that is a symptom (ex. avocados with no skin and no seeds if he will eat that).

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocky1 from:

Squirrel Friend (11-22-2020)

Thank you both. He's about 4 months old. He has been sick for about 4 days now. Day 1 he vomited a few times. He's been drinking water and taking tiny bits of formula, apple juice, and electrolyte mix, but not really eating at all. I was able to get him to eat a tiny bit of kale, avocado, and art of a rodent block earlier today. He is super weak. Are there any other things besides fluids and activated charcoal that you think might help? Any antibiotics? Anything for pain? Milk Thistle? Bentonite? Acidophilus? Calcium?

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrel Friend from:

Rocky1 (11-22-2020)

Cashews have vitamin k too.

I checked other threads about poisoning to check my accuracy since I was unsure and I think my above statements are correct. Do you mind if I ask what the current symptoms are? I understand if you are too busy caring for him and do not have time.

Only read the below threads if you want. There is not much new information, but hopefully a confidence booster.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ight=poisoning

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ight=poisoning

Quote Originally Posted by BKramer View Post
    He is super weak. Are there any other things besides fluids and activated charcoal that you think might help?
    Any antibiotics? Anything for pain? Milk Thistle? Bentonite? Acidophilus? Calcium?
    Aflatoxins are poisonous carcinogens and mutagens, he has been poisoned. Ab's can't help or reverse that.
    Understanding what carcinogens and mutagens are and do explains why.

This is text:
    A carcinogen is any substance, radionuclide, or radiation that promotes carcinogenesis, the formation of cancer. This may be due to the ability to damage the genome or to the disruption of cellular metabolic processes In genetics.

A mutagen is a physical or chemical agent that changes the genetic material, usually DNA, of an organism and thus increases the frequency of mutations above the natural background level.

The purpose of activated charcoal is it binds the toxins to it before it gets to the blood stream so They can pass it.
    This is why it's said to use as soon after ingested. Once it gets into the blood stream... unpredictable.

I have heard of using milk thistle to prevent/help keep poisonous antitoxins from reaching and damaging liver cells which aflatoxins can do.

Keep hydrating his system to keep it flushed and I would manipulate his limbs and such to keep a good blood flow.
    I have heard of losses from Acorn Aflatoxins and of those who survived. Four days is hopeful, don't lose hope.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 11-22-2020 at 06:53 PM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

10. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (11-24-2020), Chirps (11-22-2020), Diggie's Friend (05-12-2022), island rehabber (11-23-2020), Mel1959 (11-22-2020), Rocky1 (11-22-2020), Squirrel Friend (11-22-2020)

Follow up the Activated charcoal milk thistle seed extract and Pycnogenol, that both are liver (hepatic) protective when it comes to toxins ( including alfatoxins and mycotoxins), shown to prevent liver damage due to these toxins in rats. MTS has been used for a long time by Veterinarians to address aspergillus fungus ingestion or inhalation. PYC is a newer source that has many healing properties studied over 50 years in over a 100 studies, a number of them in rats.

Best to get a source of MTS immediately, yet the lower the better, for reducing the dosage sufficiently is needful. With most sources by measure over 500 mg. it isn't easy to reduce it accurately. Whatever source you find of milk thistle seed extract (not MTS leaf extract), even up to 6 mg. will be fine for the first dose. In reducing the lowest total dosage of one capsule of Milk Thistle Seed powder you find, by dividing it down repeatedly till it is as close as you can get it to (2 to 3) mg. in dose, it can be further reduced by diluting it and then taking one portion of that dilution to give by non needle syringe slowly as not to result in aspiration of the liquid.

This source from Dr. Forest notes 150 mg. Silymarin per 1 Tablespoon, is easily reduce to 1 Tsp. = 50 mg. ; and again to 1/64 Tsp. the size of a drop of water. times three approx. = to (3/64 Tsp.) of Silymarin. Add this to a tiny bit of hot water to steep and then let cool is advisable if you are going to get it into the squirrel by non needle syringe slowly but steadily at a 45 degree angle just behind the incisors onto the tongue.

o give it by non needle syringe

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQRBT8Z...NsaWNrPXRydWU= (

MTS is a bitter herb, so a a drop of raw Coconut oil would be advisable if you don't have a food that covers up the taste well t

This potency source of Pycnogenol is easily reduced from 30 mg. down to 3.25 by dividing the contents of one capsule's powder by one eighth the capsule contents. Deliver the same means as the MTS powder.

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Orgin.../dp/B00CLYNA14
    Last edited by island rehabber; 12-10-2020 at 08:02 PM.

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Buddy (11-24-2020), Chirps (11-23-2020), island rehabber (11-23-2020), Squirrel Friend (11-22-2020)

Forgot to include adding the powdered MTS or PYC to steep in hot water then cool to reduced amount to pull up a portion of it.

Four a 4 month old, splitting the dose would be advisable, or reducing it further. to the target dose of 2 to 3 mg. Siyimarin from MTS. Be advised it really tastes bad, so adding a drop of even dark molasses or maple syrup to the hot water mixture or honey is advisable.

If you happen to find Oregon Wild Harvest Milk Thistle seed Elixer, This liquid source can easily be reduced to 6.25 mg. using one needle drop from a 1 cc 1 ml needle syringe, then add (1/16 Tsp.) water and give one half to one third by non needle syringe to get it down to 2 to 3 mg. dose.

https://www.amazon.com/Oregons-Wild-...5&s=hpc&sr=1-4

I have seen "Oregon Wild Harvest" extract products available at our Sprouts Market; yet because markets vary in what they carry, you may want to call ahead to not waste time driving around to find it at night.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 01-07-2021 at 09:59 PM.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Squirrel Friend (11-23-2020)

Dilution MTS powdered extract using (1/16) Tsp. or a bit more if needed to reduce the measure and the divide for targeted dose of 2 to 3 mg. Silymarin extract. Sorry for the typo. DF

For liquid MTS extract from Oregon Wild Harvest source that notes 1000 mg. per 1 ml. add the one needle drop to 1/16 Tsp. water and give half to give half by syringe.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Squirrel Friend (11-23-2020)

How’s your little one doing today?

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (11-23-2020), Grinderhead (11-23-2020), stepnstone (11-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Friend View Post
    I am in desperate need of actual help. I believe my squirrel has acorn poisoning. Does anyone know how to treat acorn poisoning? If it is treatable at all? How long the symptoms may last? Antibiotics? Homeopathic treatments? Anything at all regarding what one can do if this happens?
    "homeopathic treatment"

I really hope.you mean holistic.

Homeopathy has been disproven thousands of times and is at best a placebo, at worst it is harming the patient. I would assume most rodents wouldn't view a random medical treatment given by as human as something that would help them as I dont think they have that capacity. Given that, I think it could be reasonable to extrapolate the futility of a placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by Procyon Lotor View Post
    "homeopathic treatment"

I really hope.you mean holistic.

Homeopathy has been disproven thousands of times and is at best a placebo, at worst it is harming the patient. I would assume most rodents wouldn't view a random medical treatment given by as human as something that would help them as I dont think they have that capacity. Given that, I think it could be reasonable to extrapolate the futility of a placebo.
    LOL well aren't you just a peach.

Coming at people in a negative tone is not helpful in any way, shape, or form. If you do choose to be rude and unhelpful, you should really proofread your response.

I 100% meant homeopathic treatments. As in natural substances, i.e. activated carbon, milk thistle, bentonite, probiotics, minerals, etc. You may want to do some research because it appears you don't know what you are talking about.

With that being said, we're all here to help eachother and learn from one another. You, my dear, have helped me to learn that some people here are not actually looking to help anyone. So thanks buddy. ✌

21. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirrel Friend:

Buddy (11-24-2020), Diggie's Friend (11-24-2020), island rehabber (11-24-2020), Mel1959 (11-24-2020), stepnstone (11-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    How’s your little one doing today?
    He is doing much better. I have no doubts that he will make a full recovery. Thank you for asking 😊

23. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirrel Friend:

Buddy (11-24-2020), Chirps (11-23-2020), Diggie's Friend (11-24-2020), Grinderhead (11-24-2020), island rehabber (11-24-2020), Mel1959 (11-23-2020), stepnstone (11-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Friend View Post
    He is doing much better. I have no doubts that he will make a full recovery. Thank you for asking 😊
    YES!!
    Thank you for the update, so great to hear!
    Please keep us updated on his progress.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Squirrel Friend (11-24-2020)

Great news! Sending prayers 🙏🙏🙏🙏
    I'm totally into natural herbal remedies, they REALLY DO WORK 👍👍👍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

27. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

Buddy (11-24-2020), Diggie's Friend (11-25-2020), island rehabber (11-24-2020), Squirrel Friend (11-24-2020), stepnstone (11-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Procyon Lotor View Post

Procyon Lotor, I agree that your tone is unnecessarily aggressive and dismissive -- and while you cite the "thousands of times" that homeopathy has been disproven, rehabbers on both sides of the Atlantic can cite thousands of times that it has WORKED on wildlife. In fact, in Europe homeopathy is the go-to method for wildlife treatment in many areas; they only resort to human 'cillins and 'floxacins if stronger stuff is required. The Squirrel Board prides itself on staying open-minded to many different ways of healing our wildlife friends -- and being kind to each other.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 11-24-2020 at 07:33 AM.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

29. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Buddy (11-24-2020), Diggie's Friend (11-24-2020), Mel1959 (11-24-2020), Squirrel Friend (11-24-2020), stepnstone (11-24-2020)

So glad your little one is doing better please continue to update when you can.

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BCChins from:

Wonderful update! Keep us posted and please let us know everything you did. It could help others that may be in this situation in the future.

33. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (11-24-2020), Diggie's Friend (11-25-2020), Squirrel Friend (11-24-2020), stepnstone (11-24-2020)

That's awesome new! Great suggestion Mel! Squirrel Friend, please share what you did to help your little boy!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

35. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Buddy:

Mel1959 (11-24-2020), Squirrel Friend (11-24-2020)

He is doing much better. I have no doubts that he will make a full recovery.
    That is wonderful news; so glad!!

37. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast