Thread: Wild Squirrel Needs Trapping and Tooth Trimming... Anyone in Orange Co, CA

Default Wild Squirrel Needs Trapping and Tooth Trimming... Anyone in Orange Co, CA

Hi All:

This little wild baby needs help ASAP. He is in Costa Mesa, CA (Orange County).. is anyone around to help get him trapped..... he needs help asap..
    She is buying a trap tomorrow .. to try and get him.. she said he takes food from her.. but is super scared .. so doesnt think he will go in... Ill keep you guys updated.. but please still let me know if your near by..

Send me a message if you can help and I'll put you in touch with Shelby, the woman trying to help!!

Thank you so much

Kim
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kcassidy from:

TubeDriver (12-11-2018)

Default Re: Wild Squirrel Needs Trapping and Tooth Trimming... Anyone in Orange Co, CA

I am about 40 mins from Costa Mesa. Let me know if I can help.

4. 9 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to EmilyGhetto:

Chickenlegs (12-11-2018), Diggie's Friend (12-14-2018), HRT4SQRLS (12-18-2018), island rehabber (12-12-2018), Mel1959 (12-11-2018), Nancy in New York (12-11-2018), SammysMom (12-13-2018), stepnstone (12-11-2018), TubeDriver (12-11-2018)

Default Re: Wild Squirrel Needs Trapping and Tooth Trimming... Anyone in Orange Co, CA

Emily,

Yes I need help, the finder is terrified of catching the squirrel, touching the squirrel, won't do the teeth and is stressing about when to take it to the vet. If we can get it to you, that would be incredible. I have a forever home for him. I just saw a video and it made me cry. He is trying to eat, poor baby.
    Last edited by SammysMom; 12-12-2018 at 09:02 PM.
    Kim Cassidy

6. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kcassidy:

Chickenlegs (12-13-2018), Grinderhead (12-13-2018), Mel1959 (12-13-2018), Nancy in New York (12-12-2018), SammysMom (12-13-2018), stepnstone (12-12-2018), TubeDriver (12-13-2018)

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

That's wonderful you will support this squirrel!

We use a larger trap the opossum size, having disabled the spring and attached a long string to the portion of is the lever right where the door edge is, not the long rod that is disabled. By attaching a string to this spot, and setting the door open by hand, you can manual trip the door to close at the optimum moment when the squirrel is at the other end of the trap. Tape down the foot spring so it won't catch any feet with packing tape after you disable the spring mechanism. Bait the trap on a wall with opened walnut pieces leading into the trap and the last piece at the far end. The squirrel may or may not go in and out a few times, but wait to trip it till it is all the way back at the other end of the opening. Make sure you are sufficiently far away from the trap which 15 to 20 ft. with a string long enough to work. If you place it on a brick wall that has openwork, you can secure it from below with 2 bungee cords. If not then place it on ground with some foliage around it. Then test the traps twice, and if it doesn't hang up when you pull the string to trip the trap it is ready. Place it near a tree if possible; on the ground or the wall secured by the bungee cords. Then in the morning set the trap and wait.

I've used this same technique many times over a number of years to rescue injured squirrels to take them to our local rehabber. All the squirrels we tried to catch in the larger trap went right in, and with the string each one was safely trapped. Even Ms. Diggie, whom we didn't want to trap, tried to get into it with the door closed.

Most smaller traps are double openings, which won't work, and the ones that are single are too short, not tall enough for them to be comfortable eating in the trap. Also the size makes it too.easy to get bitten removing the squirrel, which I have found may brace themselves inside refusing to exit into a holding cage. The one we have is so strong that if the squirrel were to not be in the exact spot to catch it safely, and it was closed it just a fraction of a second off, it would maim or kill the squirrel. You see Having caught my finger in of one by accident when trying to set it by hand, that took me too many minutes to get my finger out being alone, then nearly called 911, I can attest to this being of lethal strength, not what I call a tender trap even so it is labeled as such. This is why I will only use the size for an opossum with the spring foot disabled.

Should you want to go the distance to borrow the trap contact me by PM. I can show you how to operate it so you can get the same results as I have in using it. Just let me know the day you plan to come to pick it up. Details to follow. DF

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Nancy in New York (12-14-2018)

kcassidy, check your PMs. We have a reliable source of help for this poor little guy.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

11. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chickenlegs (12-14-2018), Mel1959 (12-14-2018), redwuff (12-14-2018), stepnstone (12-14-2018), TubeDriver (12-14-2018)

Hey Everyone,

Good News, The Finder caught this baby squirrel finally.

Whoooooo so relieved that he is with EmilyGhetto and will get his teeth trimmed.

Thanks Emily
    Kim Cassidy

13. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kcassidy:

Diggie's Friend (12-19-2018), Grinderhead (12-18-2018), lukaslolamaus (12-18-2018), Nancy in New York (12-18-2018), stepnstone (12-18-2018), TubeDriver (12-18-2018)

Yeah!!! Awesome job facilitating this save, Kim Cassidy! Thank you Emily for being so helpful!!!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Good News, The Finder caught this baby squirrel finally.

Whoooooo so relieved that he is with EmilyGhetto and will get his teeth trimmed.

Thanks Emily
    Thank everyone involved!
    This is indeed good news!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Tube,

When I saw your reply, your purple emoji surprised me at first Without really staring hard at it, it looks less like clapping and more like Purple Emo is using his hands to help himself

Couldn't resist commenting LOL
    Kim Cassidy

I'll never be able to look at that purple emoji the same way again....
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

kcassidy (12-19-2018)

This is great news! What a great network of people! . Please give an update on how this little guys does after a teeth trimming and some R & R. Its nice to see the final outcome of everyone’s hard work and have some closure. He’s one very lucky guy.

What GREAT news!!

Isn't it kind of poetic that an angel from Orange County NY (kcassidy) was able to save a little squirrel in Orange County, CA through another angel (EmilyGhetto)? TSB Success Story for sure.

It don't get much better than this
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

22. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

kcassidy (12-19-2018), Mel1959 (12-20-2018), stepnstone (12-19-2018), TubeDriver (12-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post
    Tube,

When I saw your reply, your purple emoji surprised me at first Without really staring hard at it, it looks less like clapping and more like Purple Emo is using his hands to help himself

Couldn't resist commenting LOL

-Grateful Dead

This group is amazing, always my go to when needing help for squirrels

Emily sent me pix last night of her first trim.

The squirrel is a girl and Emily thinks she is approx 5ish months old

She said she was going to trim the bottoms a bit more, I just haven't seen the updated pix yet. Looks like her tops might be able to be fixed with frequent trimming. It's a wait and see kind of thing now.

I am now trying to find her a forever home. She seems scared but she is gentle. Hoping she shows she doesn't mind living the life of an indoor squirrel.

I'll ask Emily to come over and update us here.

Thanks everyone
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Kim Cassidy

25. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kcassidy:

Grinderhead (12-19-2018), lukaslolamaus (12-20-2018), Mel1959 (12-20-2018), Nancy in New York (12-21-2018), stepnstone (12-19-2018), TubeDriver (12-20-2018)

Hello everyone! Squirrel girl is doing okay. We have started clavamox. Her lower teeth have been trimmed back some more and she seems more comfortable in that area. She is of course still very scared and unsure of everything. As I'm sure everyone here knows this is going to be a long process. She has to get comfortable. Hopefully after a few trims her teeth will start to grow more normally. For now we are giving her time and allowing her space to feel comfortable. Kim is across the country and went above beyond in making sure this little girl got the care she needed, You are awesome Kim! Also a big thanks to everyone for all the tips, advice, and kind thoughts. I will make sure to keep everyone updated on her progress. Emily

27. 10 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to EmilyGhetto:

Grinderhead (12-20-2018), HRT4SQRLS (12-20-2018), Jen413 (12-20-2018), kcassidy (12-21-2018), lukaslolamaus (12-20-2018), Mel1959 (12-21-2018), Nancy in New York (12-21-2018), nixnix (01-30-2019), stepnstone (12-20-2018), TubeDriver (12-20-2018)

-Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyGhetto View Post
    Hello everyone! Squirrel girl is doing okay. We have started clavamox. Her lower teeth have been trimmed back some more and she seems more comfortable in that area. She is of course still very scared and unsure of everything. As I'm sure everyone here knows this is going to be a long process. She has to get comfortable. Hopefully after a few trims her teeth will start to grow more normally. For now we are giving her time and allowing her space to feel comfortable. Kim is across the country and went above beyond in making sure this little girl got the care she needed, You are awesome Kim! Also a big thanks to everyone for all the tips, advice, and kind thoughts. I will make sure to keep everyone updated on her progress. Emily
    You BOTH are awesome, what a team!
    Thanks for the update and for taking such good
    care of this girl.
    If you need anything, please let us know. I have plenty to share.

30. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

EmilyGhetto (12-21-2018), Grinderhead (12-21-2018), Mel1959 (12-21-2018), stepnstone (12-21-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyGhetto View Post
    Thanks Emily

It takes a village as they say The finder is special too. She is the one who spotted the little one in need, bought two traps and worried/stressed herself beyond belief trying to catch her. She has a bunch of squirrels coming to eat nuts and of course she was putting out a ton to draw her in, she texted me at one point that a Hawk had swooped down trying to get one of the squirrels :O She chased it off, phew. All this was done while she was taking her Finals for her Doctorate so I'm so happy she was able to catch her and Emily helped too. Emily went over one day and just hung around LOL

Thanks everyone, good job!!
    Kim Cassidy

32. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kcassidy:

EmilyGhetto (12-21-2018), Mel1959 (12-21-2018), Nancy in New York (12-21-2018), SammysMom (12-21-2018), stepnstone (12-21-2018)