Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Squirrel 3 years started to active weird

Unhappy Help! Squirrel 3 years started to active weird

Good morning.. I really need some help.. My beloved squirrel started 2 months ago to act weird. He slowly started to stay more and more in the nest, doesn't want to play, he bit my husband twice, but I can open the nest and stroke him and he enjoys it. But he doesn't want to come out. few weeks after he started to acting this way we had to move house, and he was anorexic for a couple of days. Then he started to come out the cage, eating bits. Now 2 months after he is never relaxed, when he is in his cage I can stroke and pet him (but he spends 99%of his time hidden in the nest), but if he comes out his tail becomes giant, and you can tell that everything scares him. He was a very happy playful and lovely boy until this changes!
    He is also became a picky eater.. He doesn't like his favourite foods anymore, and he is not rushing to the bawl, sometimes the food stays there for days.
    Could I have some advice?
    If I have to give him any medication how would I?
    What diet would you advice?

Thanks

Default Re: Help! Squirrel 3 years started to active weird

The first and most important question we must ask you is what is his diet? I mean, what does he REALLY eat, every day? This sounds like it could be the beginning of Metabolic Bone Disease, because he hurts and that is why he is not active and acting normally. So please list what he eats on a daily basis?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

gunpackingrandma (05-12-2019), Valentina (05-11-2019)

In winter he used to eat only nuts (because he refused all sorts of veggies and fruit). In summer he used to like fruits, carrots and broccoli, few sunflower seeds, hezelnut, pecans, cashews and walnuts. I tried other veggies but he didn't enjoy them. sometimes he gives a try to peppers and salad. He has the mineral stone but he doesn't really chew it.

Could you help me balance his diet more?

His diet is definitely a problem. Is he on any kind of rodent block? A rodent block is absolutely necessary for long term health of a captive squirrel. At his age I’d order some Henry’s blocks from Henry’s Healthy Pets online. Get him the picky blocks, they’re accepted more readily. He needs to eat 2-3 every day along with some healthy veggies from the healthy squirrel diet. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels. You must stop feeding all nuts and seeds! These items rob the body of calcium and the calcium is pulled from his bones which is what causes metabolic bone disease. It can be fatal if it’s not turned around.

Here is the link for the emergency MBD treatment. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

It’s going to require tough love to change his diet, but it’s absolutely necessary.

6. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Grinderhead (05-11-2019), gunpackingrandma (05-12-2019), HRT4SQRLS (05-11-2019), Nancy in New York (05-11-2019), Valentina (05-11-2019)

Thank you! I'll act now. Is there any alternative to Henry's rodent block that I can buy in UK? Nor Amazon or Henry;s is shipping in UK.
    Any calcium supplement is ok?

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...dated-3-31-09)

I would begin this protocol NOW. It can't hurt your squirrel and may save his life. I am sorry I must go out on a rescue call right now but you are in GOOD hands here!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Valentina (05-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...dated-3-31-09)

I would begin this protocol NOW. It can't hurt your squirrel and may save his life. I am sorry I must go out on a rescue call right now but you are in GOOD hands here!
    Thank you!! I'm already out finding some calcium supplements and some blocks! THANK YOU! It's so difficult to find medical information about grey squirrels in UK. I removed the nuts and added broccoli avocado and some cabbage.
    Could they develop sludge bladder like other rodents with calcium supplements?

I wouldn’t worry about the bladder at this point. He needs the calcium as soon as possible. It is a matter of life and death. Be sure to get calcium without Vitamin D3. It is OK to megadose calcium but it is NOT OK to megadose Vitamin D. Vitamin D is used as a rodenticide so you do not want to use that for the MBD protocol. In the US we use Tums (an antacid with calcium carbonate).

If they are getting too much calcium you will see the poop turn white. At that point you can decrease the amount of calcium.

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Grinderhead (05-11-2019), gunpackingrandma (05-12-2019), Mel1959 (05-11-2019)

Try to find a rodent (rat) block at pet retailers. I guarantee he will NOT eat it but you can use it as a base for making blocks that he will eat. The rodent blocks are ground into powder. Things are added like apple sauce, coconut oil, etc. Others will sound in with recipes for making blocks that he might eat. It is trial and error to find a recipe that works.

Do not get a hamster or guinea pig food. The rodent food should not be a seed mix.

14. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (05-11-2019), Grinderhead (05-11-2019), gunpackingrandma (05-12-2019), Mel1959 (05-11-2019)

That is what I would recommend also, grinding up the block.

See if you can find a jar of organic virgin coconut oil. Add a bit of this to the ground up block along with organic rolled oatmeal quick cook, not instant, to make a doughy ball out of it.

The use of specific neutraceuticals in tree squirrel's diets can support their health.

Pycnogenol, high anti-oxidant supports bone mineralization in rats.

I like the liquid Pycnogenol by Organika, as it is easy to reduce for the dosage (2 drops from a non needle 1 cc ml syringe) I can't even find it available in Canada. Perhaps you may find it available near you.

As a substitute to this source you can use Pycnogenol 30 mg. from this source.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hellenia-Py...ateway&sr=8-11

Oops, left out how to reduce the 30 mg. Pycnogenol tablet for a daily portion. Crush the tablet to fine powder.

Then divide the total powder of one pill in two, then that half in two, then that half in two, and then that half in two,

the division that's equal to a sixteenth portion of the tablet. Add this reduced sixteenth portion to the doughy ball mixture daily.

See cheaper UK source on this page: Be sure to click on one time purchase.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...&condition=new

If you have difficulty finding calcium without the Vitamin D, this is a perfectly fine way to make your own from eggshells: https://tiphero.com/eggshell-calcium-powder

Hi thanks for all those advices! I found simple calcium carbonate, bt I find it very difficult to give it to him.. he doesn't want peanut butter, or any other thing I hid the calcium in.. What if I put it in the water? I tried to syringe him but it's not easy. He is still pretty active.

Thank you

You can mix it with anything - juice, water, whatever, but not just leave it in the water bottle or dish. The calcium is a mineral - it doesn't dissolve, it settles out on the bottom. It will clog a water bottle and sit on the bottom of a water dish where the squirrel won't get to it. Is there anything he just can't resist?

I hate to mention it...but do they have Nutella there? It isn't good nutrition for sure but to just get the calcium in you can mix the dose with a tiny bit. It is squirrel crack, believe me.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

gunpackingrandma (05-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    You can mix it with anything - juice, water, whatever, but not just leave it in the water bottle or dish. The calcium is a mineral - it doesn't dissolve, it settles out on the bottom. It will clog a water bottle and sit on the bottom of a water dish where the squirrel won't get to it. Is there anything he just can't resist?

I hate to mention it...but do they have Nutella there? It isn't good nutrition for sure but to just get the calcium in you can mix the dose with a tiny bit. It is squirrel crack, believe me.
    I'm italian I have Nutella
    Is it not like ultra toxic? I'll try everything else first, but if it doesn't eat anythink I'll try!

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Valentina from:

island rehabber (05-12-2019)

No. And you don't need much, it is very strongly flavored.

I was medicating some outdoor squirrels and was mixing the meds into a mixture of ground walnuts and peanut butter to hold eveything together and they started getting all picky on me, dropping the balls or eating half of them. I added a tiny bit of Nutella to my nut mixture and holy cow, what a difference. I have been using it for this ever since. I am pretty sure that every sentient being on the planet thinks Nutella is the bomb!

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

island rehabber (05-12-2019)

So I spent yesterday trying what he likes with calcium carbonate and almond butter wins! I changed diet, for now he ate only the avocado and nibbled at some dandelion. I finally ordered the picky rodents block from US! Do you have any book on squirrel medicine to advice?
    What are the common diseases they could suffer from?

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    I'm italian I have Nutella
    Is it not like ultra toxic?
    Valentina, to DOGS, I think Nutella would be toxic because they can't have chocolate. Squirrels are fine with chocolate. What a great idea, CritterMom.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Do you have any book on squirrel medicine to advice? What are the common diseases they could suffer from?
    You can find answers for this in the Specific Ailments Forum.

Sugar is the first ingredient and thus the main by weight of all the Nutella ingredients. In fact Nutella is 55 per cent sugar! That puts Nutella on a par with chocolate.
    https://foodwatch.com.au/blog/additi...gredients.html

Yes, squirrels have a tolerance for tannins in chocolate; yet high sugar content causes calcium loss from the meal. :shakehe

DF aka: 'Party pooper!'

Hi, so I started 2 days ago the treatment PROPERLY, I needed some time to understand how to give him the calcium. He had it with everything I could have thought about, but today he is refusing everything. He ate a mushroom and nibbled some cauliflower. But nothing medicated. Yesterday I thought he was more alert and wanted to stay out more. Today I'm at work so my husband is doing everything. As I get home I'll wrap him into something and I'll force him. If treated do the recover well from MBD? What can I try to not have to force-feed him every day? I tried Nutella, but he didn't want it. He is having 500mg a day divided into 5 portions. So after 2 days of 600-500mg a day, today he had only 200mg up to now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast