Thread: 2017 Oct release Tex may have a btoken front leg

Default 2017 Oct release Tex may have a btoken front leg

Any advice as to what I can do for Tex.
    His front right elbow/forearm is very swollen. He is not using it and he is acting like he is in pain. Tex will come to me and come on my shoulder, but he was very unwilling to come to me this morning. He can still climb without using his injured paw. Should I try to contain him? My cage is occupied by Junebug. I have a large and small plastic dog crate. I'm not sure he will let me handle him as he visits us on his terms, but maybe he will, I can try. We really love this guy. He has been showing up with alot of battle wounds and cuts lately.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

Default Re: 2017 Oct release Tex may have a btoken front leg

It is mating season and I am seeing lots of injuries. If he is getting around and will come to get proper food and water being free is probably the less stressful option.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Binkers mom (07-05-2019)

Thanks! That's what I thought. We keep him well fed and access to fresh water. I am sprinkling extra calcium on his food too. He feels very solid and strong and knows where to come for food. He is quite the romeo in the area.

Update on Tex.
    I got a closer look at his front right injured leg and it's a mess. It is still very swollen and I saw a a large bloody area on the inside of his foreleg. He is not using the leg to move ,walk, or climb, but he can hold food and eat. He doesn't look good, he must be in tremendous pain.
    I first saw him like this on July 3.
    He has been staying close to my yard. And sleeping in the garage in a squirrel house . We are giving him Henry's Wild bites , fresh water, friuts, veggies, and then nuts.
    Should I try to give him antibiotics? If so, which one? I have doxycycline in 100g capsules or 200 mg tablets.
    Amoxicillin...in 500mg capsules . And 875mg pills And Amox/K Clavamox 875-125 tablets.
    Tex will be 2 yrs old this month and we love this guy. Any suggestions for dosing, delivery. ...anything to help him is greatly appreciated

Can you get a photo of the leg, that might help folks here who would like to offer advice. The vast majority of leg injuries resolve on their own in 1-3 weeks but if you see signs of infection (pus, redness, swelling, hair loss etc) I would think that Clavamox would be the way to go. If he can get around and is not losing weight then it might be that merely giving him extra block and food and fresh water will be enough for him to heal and recover. If the leg is really badly broken, then he might need a vet? But most mating season bite injuries seem to heal up on their own from what I have observed.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Binkers mom (07-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Binkers mom View Post
    Update on Tex.
    I got a closer look at his front right injured leg and it's a mess. It is still very swollen and I saw a a large bloody area on the inside of his foreleg. He is not using the leg to move ,walk, or climb, but he can hold food and eat. He doesn't look good, he must be in tremendous pain.
    I first saw him like this on July 3.
    He has been staying close to my yard. And sleeping in the garage in a squirrel house . We are giving him Henry's Wild bites , fresh water, friuts, veggies, and then nuts.
    Should I try to give him antibiotics? If so, which one? I have doxycycline in 100g capsules or 200 mg tablets.
    Amoxicillin...in 500mg capsules . And 875mg pills And Amox/K Clavamox 875-125 tablets.
    Tex will be 2 yrs old this month and we love this guy. Any suggestions for dosing, delivery. ...anything to help him is greatly appreciated
    I would definitely get him on an antibiotic, from those mentioned I think the clavamox would be best suited.
    If you can not handle to treat I would still suggest confinement at this point to treat and not allow him outside.
    If he don't already he's going to get maggots in that injury sooner or later not to mention contacting other bacteria.
    Do you have access to any pain meds?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Thanks. I will try to get some pics tomorrow.
    You know how you can see the change in an animal expression when they are hurting....poor little dude. He is eating so that's a good sign

Thanks Step,
    I definitely can't handle him, although he does come to us and come on my shoulder.
    I can try to lure him into a cage, but he's a smart , wily little dude.
    Any suggestions on how to get antibiotics into him ?
    I also have Capstar and ivermectin.
    I have tramadol 50 mg and oxycodone.

The clavamox is a combo with amoxicillin called....Augmentin ...is that still ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Binkers mom View Post
    The clavamox is a combo with amoxicillin called....Augmentin ...is that still ok?
    Yes Augmentin is the same as clavamox, amoxicillin and clavulanic acid.
    Tramadol would be the decent choice to manage pain between the two.
    Any idea on what he weighs? If not can you get /post a picture for a close "guesstimate."

It's good that he will eat, we will discuss several ways to get meds in him.
    I assume he eats nuts, does he have a favorite?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Binkers mom (07-09-2019)

He has been eating the HHP wildbites and I have been sprinkling the powdered calcium on the veggies/fruit I put out. Also, coating the nuts in shells with calcium. He seems to like pecan an hazelnuts the best. But sometimes he doesn't eat the nuts in shells,he goes off to bury them.
    He was on my shoulder the other day and he felt pretty solid, so I would guess 24 ounces, he's a medium sized guy.

You would need to remove the nuts from the shell, not put the calcium on the shells.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Binkers mom (07-09-2019)

Update on Tex.
    I saw him this morning and he came close enough to me to get a good look at the elbow /forearm wound. It is a massive wound. Some of the forearm is healed with hair growing back. The elbow looks flayed but no sign of magets, and no blood,no pus, it is scabbing and swelling is down alot, but its red raw.He is using it to weight bare a little bit more.
    I shaved a little Augmentin onto a piece of HHP wildbite , mushed the dust in...and he ate it....he is also grooming himself more. I figured anything to help give him an edge. I will try to get more antibiotics into him later, and 2x daily if he cooperates. I really hope he turned a corner. We didn't see him at all yesterday and feared the worst, so seeing him today gave us hope. I don't know what could have done this to him ???? A hawk? ??
    He is such a special ,tough little dude.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Binkers mom from:

TubeDriver (07-11-2019)

Goods news today!
    Tex was waiting for me this morning and ate another Augmentin laced wildbite. He ran right up onto my shoulder and ate it. His expression looks so much better and he is back to being active and his usual routine. The wound looks about 1/4 smaller today and he is using the limb!
    I also put 2 drops of ivermectin on him as he was scratching like a maniac.
    So my special guy will see his 2nd Birthday!

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Binkers mom from:

Vox (07-12-2019)

Great news!

Keep us posted!

Tex has RECOVERED!!!
    He took the Augmentin laced wildbites 2 days in a row and that massive wound healed up. It was amazing how well it healed. It was like he knew he had to eat it and by the 3rd day he was like " not eating that , I'm good now".
    Tex is using the leg well and back to his usual antics! He has made it to his 2nd Birthday has a wild squirrel.
    Now he is visiting Junebug in the release cage. I hope he acts as mentor( showing the young ones the tree highway and food/water stations) for her as he did for the Oct 2018 releases, WonderWomen ( who showed up recently - huge and beautiful, Spiderman and Julie Jewels (who visits us daily ).
    He is really a special guy!

Aww, I’m so happy to hear that. Such great news.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Binkers mom (07-30-2019)