Thread: Pinkie help needed in Rantoul, Il

Exclamation Pinkie help needed in Rantoul, Il

I'm posting this for Lynn6218
    She put this (below in red) in the visitor messages.

I am new to this and not sure who to talk to or what to do but I have a baby squirrel and he is a pinkie. Please help!

(Sending her an email now, with the link so she can fill in details.)

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

island rehabber (07-11-2019)

Lynn6218 Guest

Red face Re: Pinkie help needed in Rantoul, Il

Name:  Snapchat-1289471439.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  91.2 KB

I hope this photo shows still new to this but this is her being on her 3rd day with us after a feeding.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lynn6218:

island rehabber (07-11-2019), Nancy in New York (07-12-2019)

Default Re: Pinkie help needed in Rantoul, Il

Welcome Lynn, you might have already seen this link. It contains important information about baby squirrel care.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

My goodness, you have a young one there.... not even a week old.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (07-12-2019)

What are you feeding? Do you have a weight?

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (07-12-2019)

Lynn6218 Guest

Red face Re: Pinkie help needed in Rantoul, Il

HRT4SQRLS
    I am feeding it the correct puppies milk with the blue banner at the top ebislac (I'm not good at spelling it) and i do not have the weight yet. I was going to go buy a scale tmrw after work. But I feed her 1 ml every 3 hours & she does great! She even started suckling the syringe on day 2 with us (like a breastfed baby). She is peeing and pooping good (I will take a little damp qtip to stimulate the area so she goes potty). She is in a Tupperware piece now about 6-7 in tall and wide, with a cotton tshirt, and heating pad for warmth!🐿💕💕

Lynn6218 pm'd me early yesterday evening.
    I wrote back telling her how to post on the board.
    I then gave her some help on raising this little one.
    I'm sharing what I told her to do so that we don't repeat
    ourselves.
    I should have done this yesterday, but I was running late
    and on my way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn6218
    How do I post for help? I came across a pinky which I believe is to be a girl. She fell out of a nest extremely high up we believe, she is so little not even a week o think, she still has her umbilical cord. I'm feeding her embalic * sp puppies milk and pedialyte.l everyb3 hours. I have a box for her with a heating pad on and a small tshirt laying on top of it. This is her 3rd day with us, she goes to the bathroom well. I'm just not sure the next steps I need to take as this is my 1st time doing this.

OK I have already set up a thread for you because a member found that you posted in the wrong area.
    I sent you an email too with a link to this thread.

Follow this link:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-in-Rantoul-Il

On the left hand side there is a spot on the bottom of my post that says +Reply to Post.
    Click that it will bring you to an almost blank page and type what you want and then over on the right bottom
    it says Submit Reply, click that and then your message will be on the board. People will come and help you out.
    In the mean time, I am going to write up some helpful things for you.
    Try now to post on the board.

I will send you a message when I'm done writing up some tips.

Nancy

Here is a link to help you. It's about baby squirrel care.
    It's 6 pages long with the next arrow at the top.
    It's very concise easy to follow directions, with some photos.
    I have more to write you, but this will help you for now.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn6218
    How do I post for help? I came across a pinky which I believe is to be a girl. She fell out of a nest extremely high up we believe, she is so little not even a week o think, she still has her umbilical cord. I'm feeding her embalic * sp puppies milk and pedialyte.l everyb3 hours. I have a box for her with a heating pad on and a small tshirt laying on top of it. This is her 3rd day with us, she goes to the bathroom well. I'm just not sure the next steps I need to take as this is my 1st time doing this.

OK the formula that you need is powdered Esbilac. I will post a photo at the end of my message, of the can.
    When you make it add really HOT water and make it ahead of time. Let it set in the refrig roughly 4 hours, stirring occassionally.
    You will need a gram scale to get an accurate weight of this little one since we feed according to their weight.
    You should feed between 5-7% of their body weight. When we have pinkies we start with 5% of their weight.
    Do this every 3 hours round the clock.

Does she appear dehydrated? If so, I will copy the homemade solution for you.
    We give pedialyte for no more than 24 hours.
    She should be pretty hydrated now, so I would stop with hydration unless you
    think she is starting to look wrinkly.

The heating pad should be UNDER the container set on low. Put old nightgowns or anything
    flannel that you have.
    You will need something like a bin and not a cardboard box since the cardboard will cause them
    to get dehydrated.

I hope this helps.

I will be off board for a while, but please try to post on the board, and you will
    probably get an answer faster than waiting for me.
    I just came up to check the board before I go out, and I saw your pm.

Thank you so much for helping this little one.
    What part of the state do you live in. Would you like us to try to find
    a wildlife rehabber?

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

HRT4SQRLS (07-12-2019), lukaslolamaus (07-12-2019), stepnstone (07-12-2019)

Lynn6218 Guest

Exclamation Re: Pinkie help needed in Rantoul, Il

Okay everyone!
    So I got a scale and it says she weighs 13 grams. Can you help me convert that into how much she should be eating please?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn6218 View Post
    Okay everyone!
    So I got a scale and it says she weighs 13 grams. Can you help me convert that into how much she should be eating please?
    Here you go.
    I would say that you can safely feed her 0.7 mls every 2-3 hours.
    If she doesn't want it all, don't force her.
    Also if she seems fussy while eating, try pottying her,
    meaning just take a kleenex and gently go back and forth
    on her "privates".

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Grinderhead (07-12-2019), island rehabber (07-12-2019)

Lynn6218 Guest

Exclamation Re: Pinkie help needed in Rantoul, Il

Name:  20190713_090505.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  84.2 KB

This is Anabel day 5 with us. She doesnt seem to be eating how she was a few days ago, but she is still getting some down. Does her coloring look right to you guys? And what is that white looking thing inside her in her belly area lol. Other than that she is still active!Name:  20190713_090455.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  79.1 KB

Lynn, the white area is normal. It is the milk line. You can see the milk VERY clearly on a pinkie. We actually watch the milk line. The formula should mostly disappear before the next feeding. If the milk line doesn’t disappear it’s a problem. Let us know. It means the formula isn’t being pushed through the GI tract. By adding fresh formula on top of old formula, it can cause bloat which can be deadly. Some pinkies can’t digest commercial formulas and need to be switched to a goat milk recipe. I assume that pic is right after feeding.?

Your baby does look a bit too pink/purple to me. Check your heating pad. Make sure it’s not too hot. It should be on LOW under half of the bin. I put a thick pile of fleece scrapes in the bin so that the baby can crawl up away from the heat if too hot. Make sure the baby isn’t bound up in fleece so that it can’t move. She looks a bit dry also. I think I remember that you are using a Rubbermaid type bin. These are the recommended bins. Cardboard boxes are not used as they can dehydrate the baby. You can get a small baby food jar and fill it with gauze or cotton balls. Wet the gauze/cotton and put the jar in the corner of the bin. It will provide humidity to the bin.

Just as a precaution, do you have any left over antibiotic tablets? I don’t think you need it now but it’s good to have as a ‘just in case’ the baby aspirates. When a pinkie aspirates and gets aspiration pneumonia you don’t have a lot of time to start searching for antibiotics.

Most beginner squirrel parents start with babies a little older so they have a little wiggle room for gaining experience. You jumped right in at the graduate level with a few day old pinkie. Pinkies can be a challenge for beginners but you are doing an awesome job.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Nancy in New York (07-13-2019)

One other thing... the skin looks a little wrinkled. The baby might be dehydrated. You can give a little water between the feeding. Just a tiny bit.... maybe 0.25ml. If they are dehydrated the appetite deceases.

I have only raised one pinky so I am most definitely NOT an expert on pinkies. I cut a tiny 5 inch square of fleece. I left it on the heating pad. When I would feed I would wrap the baby in this tiny blanket so that it would stay warm while feeding. They lose body heat so quickly.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (07-13-2019), Nancy in New York (07-13-2019)