Thread: Baby squirrel (8-weeks old) fell from nest- no use of hind legs

Default Baby squirrel (8-weeks old) fell from nest- no use of hind legs

Yesterday morning I found 8-week old fox squirrel trying to climb back up tree, but couldn't because it had no use of hind legs. I have experience rehabbing squirrels. It appears both legs are sprained. Legs respond to pinching toes, so back is not broken. Just saw similar post of found baby squirrel with paralyzed hind legs. Sounds like this is common for babies that fall from nest. Response to post recommended 'prednisone'. Don't know if I can get any, but if I can, please recommend dosage and how to administer. Also, please recommend any other therapy that might accelerate healing. Thank you folks so much for what you do....

Default Re: Baby squirrel (8-weeks old) fell from nest- no use of hind legs

Prednisone is dosed based on the weight of the baby and the strength of the med. Let us know what you get if you find it.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Rock Monkey (03-25-2021)

There are two homeopathic remedies I have used very successfully on other animals with these type of issues.
    One is Arnica Montana it is used for bruises and muscle soreness.
    The other is Hypericum Perforatum. It is used for nerve issues.
    My neighbors Dachshund jumped off the bed last year and was totally paralyzed in the back end.
    He was in a wheelchair. We used both of the remedies and had a friend that was a chiropractor.
    It took 3 months and started with a tail wag but he is back to walking, running and incessantly barking.
    Most health food stores carry the remedies.

Franki

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Prednisone is dosed based on the weight of the baby and the strength of the med. Let us know what you get if you find it.
    I can't get the prednisone because it requires vet prescription, which there are no vets in my area that take squirrels. However it's been suggested to administer Arnica Montana which I just gave him. Will also pick up some Hypericum. Someone is also sending me some metacam. Many thanks......