Thread: 17 weeks and still drinking milk?

Default 17 weeks and still drinking milk?

My 17 week old pine squirrel (Leafy) still LOVES ebsilac puppy milk. I give it to him in a bowl twice a day. He drinks about 30mL daily. I'll dilute it a little if he wants more to keep cost down

If he wanted milk the rest of his life is that ok?

Default Re: 17 weeks and still drinking milk?

Yes, in fact if is he cannot be released the Esbilac is a great thing... is there a reason you are not releasing?

Quote Originally Posted by Squarl View Post
    My 17 week old pine squirrel (Leafy) still LOVES ebsilac puppy milk. I give it to him in a bowl twice a day. He drinks about 30mL daily. I'll dilute it a little if he wants more to keep cost down

If he wanted milk the rest of his life is that ok?
    It sure is! It's the best insurance you'll ever get to prevent MBD?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

island rehabber (07-28-2016)

Talking Re: 17 weeks and still drinking milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    is there a reason you are not releasing?
    Not really, I planned to a couple weeks ago, but we had a heat wave so I didn't think it was a good time. It cooled down a few days ago.

Something else that's an issue (I probably need to start A new thread) is that I'm afraid I messed up and now he's too friendly. I worry he'll jump on a neighbor.

I want to let everyone know about him. I plan to open the door in the next few week. I'm hoping everyone Will think he's cool. The neighbors are pretty hillbilly so I'm sure it Will be fine, lol.

Maybe they can help teach him to stay away by being scary when they see him. I want them not freak out if he does come to them and let them know if he's bothering them to get in contact with me so I can try to resolve any issues.

My husband is really attached so every time I bring it up he wants to keep him as a pet, which I don't really want. I didn't think it's fair to him. He's very attached to both of us now.

I figure he Will stay close by... especially since i have no squirrels in my yard right now. He doesn't like going into the bathroom or kitchen so he's not very brave anyways. Typically he hangs out in the living room and occasionally tries go in my bedroom which is off limits, but that's it.

Do you think he'll still wild up?

Is he still inside or outside in a pre release cage?

Quote Originally Posted by lukaslolamaus View Post
    Is he still inside or outside in a pre release cage?

Still inside.... I do set his cage outside on nice days for several hours but not at all the last 2 weeks or so.

He is still young enough that he can be placed in an outside release cage for 30 days to help acclimate him to his surroundings while he wilds up then you can release him......

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rhapsody from:

lukaslolamaus (07-29-2016)

He will need a release cage made out of untreated wood and hardware cloth and release portal. He will need to be in it for about a month to give him time to adjust to his surrounding.
    Often once the portal is opened the squirrels will return at night for a little while until they'llbuild a drey.
    His indoor cage most likely isn't predator proof and shouldn't be used as release cage and only for supervised outdoor time.

Thank you very much