Thread: The Family

Hybrid View

Default Re: The Family

Gorgeous babies!!!

There's a country club here in the Panama City area that's logo is a fox squirrel. Hubby said that back in the eighties, there were giant, black, red, and brownish fox squirrels EVERYWHERE. All over the golf course, hanging out by the clubhouse, running all over the place. I've seen the foxers on here, but the way these have been described: they were simply HUGE.

Not too long ago, we went driving all through the fox squirrel area from the days of yesteryear. The logo is still there, but the squirrels are greatly diminished in number. After twenty minutes, we saw one, lone, small black fox squirrel.

It's weird, because they didn't venture out of that area...they just disappeared.

How lucky you are to have such crazy-good-looking squees!

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy'sgm View Post
    Not too long ago, we went driving all through the fox squirrel area from the days of yesteryear. The logo is still there, but the squirrels are greatly diminished in number. After twenty minutes, we saw one, lone, small black fox squirrel. It's weird, because they didn't venture out of that area...they just disappeared.
    It's sad when a beloved population disappears. Some places like Olney, IL and Brevard, NC have developed small economies around them. They face threats from climate, food shortages, habitat destruction/fragmentation, predation, Parapoxvirus, vehicles and with some like Red's competition with Gray's.

Here is a cool article about how Squirrels were once wildly popular pets:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...squirrel-craze

I found this really cool tintype photo on the Internet from yesteryear

Name:  331b308776a2c15b5ef9d59907d76498.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  72.0 KB

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

4Puddles (02-01-2018)

There's a stretch of road I travel to and from work on that is pretty rural. I occasionally see the black/brown/white fox squirrels on that road. In the last week two have come too close to my car for comfort. There are so many animals on that road that I always watch for them. The first one I saw in plenty enough time to slow down and it stopped along the side of the road. The second came like a streak of lightening and ran right into my lane. I hit my brakes and by some miracle didn't hit it. They are SO beautiful and I always get so excited to see them. It would absolutely break my heart to know I killed one.

Sorry to thread jack. You have a beautifully special crew!!

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread