Thread: UVA/UVB Light use questions....

Default UVA/UVB Light use questions....

Hello...hope you're all safe out there! After doing much reading and also hearing from senior members here, it was evident that I needed to provide my indoor only squirrel with some uva/uvb light. Using a mercury bulb in my home concerned me, so I found a company that makes an LED bulb that emits uva/uvb only...or supposedly anyways. Got that and using it the last week or so, and I do have it about 1.5 feet from his cage. But there is lots of conjecture on how long he should be exposed to the light. Some say 2 to 3 hours a day.....others say from morning til night. Your thoughts on this? Also, for me to peer into the light burns my eyes....so I can imagine what it does to his. So....how far does this thing need to be from his cage? Once again, lots of varying arguments there. Some say to sit it right on top of his cage like a lizard as long as he has a shelter to go to....which he does. Others say 2 to 4 fee away is best. Issue is...it's hard to put this light anywhere that he can't easily leer into. Won;t this damage his eyes or skin after a while? I do want him to absorb calcium, but at what cost is this happening? Thanks for reading and your help!!!!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to strdsk from:

RockyPops (04-06-2020)

Default Re: UVA/UVB Light use questions....

I’ll be curious to what others say but I would say MUCH less than those times.
    Dr.Emerson said about 15-20 minutes per day of natural sunlight so I would think a UVA/B light would be about the same. My understanding is that it does need to be close so on top of the cage would be ideal, IMO. I’m sure this is a no brainer but be careful of the cord.

My opinion is moderation in all things. LED lights are blinding to look into so I would monitor him and make sure that’s not happening.

Thanks! I think he does look into it at top of cage, though. Regarding direct sunlight everyday...his cage is close to a window, but drapes must be mostly closed. This is due to passers by and traffic close....it kind of freaks him out. I hear the sheers filter out all the good rays hence making the sun through them useless. Is this true? Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I’ll be curious to what others say but I would say MUCH less than those times.
    Dr.Emerson said about 15-20 minutes per day of natural sunlight so I would think a UVA/B light would be about the same. My understanding is that it does need to be close so on top of the cage would be ideal, IMO. I’m sure this is a no brainer but be careful of the cord.

My opinion is moderation in all things. LED lights are blinding to look into so I would monitor him and make sure that’s not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by strdsk View Post
    Thanks! I think he does look into it at top of cage, though. Regarding direct sunlight everyday...his cage is close to a window, but drapes must be mostly closed. This is due to passers by and traffic close....it kind of freaks him out. I hear the sheers filter out all the good rays hence making the sun through them useless. Is this true? Thanks again!!!
    Yes, that is true. Even the glass filters out the needed rays. Of course, extreme caution has to be used for those that choose to take a squirrel outside. They can never be left out unattended and NEVER ever in the direct sun. They can die of heat stroke in a short time so it has to be done with caution.

Agreed. And this guy does not fare well outside sadly. Sad...

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Yes, that is true. Even the glass filters out the needed rays. Of course, extreme caution has to be used for those that choose to take a squirrel outside. They can never be left out unattended and NEVER ever in the direct sun. They can die of heat stroke in a short time so it has to be done with caution.