Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pet Grey Squirrel - Lesion under arm - Safe antibiotic?

Default Re: Pet Grey Squirrel - Lesion under arm - Safe antibiotic?

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Yes, that is absolutely true. He would need to be off antibiotics a week to get the best results. No need to spend the money if it won’t be accurate.

Yes to Dr Zellner but I don’t know the ‘other’ new vets so wouldn’t be able to recommend them.
    This isn’t a ‘squirrel specific’ problem so any vet willing to treat a squirrel should be able to figure this out with testing. I hope you’ll at least TRY the Dermalone and give it a fair chance.

I would need the concentration of your med to calculate it.
    Ah man. He was off for a week before I started him back on it Sunday. Now I wish I would have waited and tested him. Yep I started giving the Dermalone to him earlier. I plan to apply it again tonight. It's a bit liquidy and seems to only stay on a few minutes before it either gets brushed off by him running around, or it's just getting absorbed fast. The SMZ is 240mg/5ml

As HRT said it doesn’t look like staph. When my dog has a fungal infection that turns to a staph infection all of his skin turns an angry red and there are little pustules. Here’s a pic of his skin before treatment.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

DavidDane (09-21-2021)

These two pictures were just taken a few minutes ago after he slept all day. The large right wound is the one I put Dermalone on earlier to test. I woke him up to take these pictures so I don't think he licked them for a while, yet they were all wet? I've noticed this a few times. Not sure if that means anything but wanted to let you guys know in case that was an indication of anything. I'm also not sure what the puffiness around each wound means?

Continue to use the Dermalone for longer to see if it helps.

Ok. Here are some pictures tonight after it dried and then I treated it with Dermalone and let that dry. He didn't chew it because I was playing with him the whole time. It looks redder and bigger for some reason? I remember Samthesquirrel did say Neomycin could cause a reaction and make it worse, or look worse?

Extra info for above post:

I've noticed it also dries similar to this after washing it with Betadine and letting it dry, though not quite as red. They dry and are very rough/hard to the touch, sort of scabby like. Then later on they will be wet and pink again. I don't know what has been causing them to slowly enlarge

Give the Dermalone some time to allow it to work. It may look slightly worse before it begins to get better. Stay the course for a few more days.

In the meantime you should consider making an appointment with a squirrel friendly vet, as it may take a while to get in. I know there are some in your area, but one of the best is Dr. Emerson in Port Orange, 386-788-1550.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

DavidDane (09-26-2021), island rehabber (09-27-2021)

How is Rocket doing?
    SamtheSquirrel

Hey guys. Here's another update. Sorry for the delay. To be completely honest, I have been fasting for 4 days and praying over him. They are getting better again Here are some pictures. The last picture is from the day after my last post (the morning after starting Dermalone.) The next picture is the next day, and the first picture is from this morning. They are shrinking and healing.

I am giving him 0.2cc SMZ-TMP twice a day (Today is the 7th day) and also applying Dermalone ointment twice a day on each wound. The vet also suggested that I use hydrogen peroxide to clean the wounds and let it dry before applying the Dermalone. I also trimmed his nails on his back foot in case he was scratching it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDane View Post
    Hey guys. Here's another update. Sorry for the delay. To be completely honest, I have been fasting for 4 days and praying over him. They are getting better again Here are some pictures. The last picture is from the day after my last post (the morning after starting Dermalone.) The next picture is the next day, and the first picture is from this morning. They are shrinking and healing.

I am giving him 0.2cc SMZ-TMP twice a day (Today is the 7th day) and also applying Dermalone ointment twice a day on each wound. The vet also suggested that I use hydrogen peroxide to clean the wounds and let it dry before applying the Dermalone. I also trimmed his nails on his back foot in case he was scratching it.
    I'm glad Rocket is doing better! There are serious concerns about the common practice of using Hydrogen Peroxide on wounds. Although it appears to be doing something miraculous by its bubbling and frothing, Hydrogen Peroxide has been found to interfere with and delay healing. There are many references to this on the internet but WebMD is usually a legitimate source of medical information for the general public (and physicians as well) and most of the commentary there is peer reviewed by physicians. This is what they say about using Hydrogen Peroxide (and alcohol) to "clean" wounds: https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/ss/s...-dos-and-donts
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

CritterMom (09-25-2021), HRT4SQRLS (09-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    I'm glad Rocket is doing better! There are serious concerns about the common practice of using Hydrogen Peroxide on wounds. Although it appears to be doing something miraculous by its bubbling and frothing, Hydrogen Peroxide has been found to interfere with and delay healing. There are many references to this on the internet but WebMD is usually a legitimate source of medical information for the general public (and physicians as well) and most of the commentary there is peer reviewed by physicians. This is what they say about using Hydrogen Peroxide (and alcohol) to "clean" wounds: https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/ss/s...-dos-and-donts
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Thanks Sam. I appreciate that info! I stopped using the hydrogen peroxide and he's just on SMP and Dermalone. Looking even better today 😎

Thanks Sam. I appreciate that info! I stopped using the hydrogen peroxide and he's just on SMP and Dermalone. Looking even better today 😎
    Although Rocket is doing better which is wonderful news; please consider that the Dermalone has a steroid component in addition to its 2 antibiotics and an antifungal. The steroid is used in this particular preparation to decrease inflammation which will lessen redness, swelling and sometimes pain and itching as well BUT it is not a cure for what may be a bacterial or fungal cause. That is one of the concerns about these multicomponent "shotgun type" medications. Rocket may actually have a continued infection and if so, you are treating this systemically (not by applying antibiotics to the skin) which is usually the best and appropriately means using SMZ-TMP. Topical antibiotics as in the Dermalone are not usually the optimal way to treat a skin infection. It may also be that a fungus is causing at least some of the problems you have noticed with Rocket's skin. If so, the antifungal medicine in Dermalone may be showing its effectiveness. The potential problem with the steroid is that with its antiinflammatory properties, it can make the lesions appear much improved but fungal infections (but also a bacterial infections) can still be present and in a sense, "masked" by the steroids and still be active. My suggestion would be, since you are already using the Dermalone and there are no obvious adverse effects from it (such as skin sensitivity to the Neomycin or other components), and, assuming that when the lesions completely resolve or when you do stop the Dermalone, that you monitor the area for recurrence of the problem. Also, I would recommend that you continue the Dermalone maybe 3 days beyond the time the lesions have resolved in the event that there is still some infection remaining but the steroid has suppressed all of the little inflammatory response that remains and makes it appear that there is a cure. Also, Dermalone should not be used long term and 10 days to 2 weeks might be a max. Also please coordinate all this with your vet. One last thing, if the condition improves or resolves and seems to recur after stopping the Dermalone, it may be that there is a fungal infection which can often take several weeks to cure and using just a plain antifungal medication such as Nystatin which can be used for relatively long-term if necessary and is ordinarily quite safely might be an option.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

DavidDane (09-26-2021), HRT4SQRLS (09-26-2021), Mel1959 (09-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Although Rocket is doing better which is wonderful news; please consider that the Dermalone has a steroid component in addition to its 2 antibiotics and an antifungal. The steroid is used in this particular preparation to decrease inflammation which will lessen redness, swelling and sometimes pain and itching as well BUT it is not a cure for what may be a bacterial or fungal cause. That is one of the concerns about these multicomponent "shotgun type" medications. Rocket may actually have a continued infection and if so, you are treating this systemically (not by applying antibiotics to the skin) which is usually the best and appropriately means using SMZ-TMP. Topical antibiotics as in the Dermalone are not usually the optimal way to treat a skin infection. It may also be that a fungus is causing at least some of the problems you have noticed with Rocket's skin. If so, the antifungal medicine in Dermalone may be showing its effectiveness. The potential problem with the steroid is that with its antiinflammatory properties, it can make the lesions appear much improved but fungal infections (but also a bacterial infections) can still be present and in a sense, "masked" by the steroids and still be active. My suggestion would be, since you are already using the Dermalone and there are no obvious adverse effects from it (such as skin sensitivity to the Neomycin or other components), and, assuming that when the lesions completely resolve or when you do stop the Dermalone, that you monitor the area for recurrence of the problem. Also, I would recommend that you continue the Dermalone maybe 3 days beyond the time the lesions have resolved in the event that there is still some infection remaining but the steroid has suppressed all of the little inflammatory response that remains and makes it appear that there is a cure. Also, Dermalone should not be used long term and 10 days to 2 weeks might be a max. Also please coordinate all this with your vet. One last thing, if the condition improves or resolves and seems to recur after stopping the Dermalone, it may be that there is a fungal infection which can often take several weeks to cure and using just a plain antifungal medication such as Nystatin which can be used for relatively long-term if necessary and is ordinarily quite safely might be an option.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Thank you Sam That is some very, very helpful information and I will heed your advice. Here is an updated picture from tonight for you guys to see. It's looking much better. I will keep applying the Dermalone for a few days after they are gone. But I was wondering, if it's the SMP-TMP that is actually having the effect, how long should I give that to him past the time they are healed? Today will be day 8 of 10 on the SMP antibiotics. (They had improved the first round of antibiotics, but weren't quite completely gone when I stopped him on day 10)

Thank you Sam That is some very, very helpful information and I will heed your advice. Here is an updated picture from tonight for you guys to see. It's looking much better. I will keep applying the Dermalone for a few days after they are gone. But I was wondering, if it's the SMP-TMP that is actually having the effect, how long should I give that to him past the time they are healed? Today will be day 8 of 10 on the SMP antibiotics. (They had improved the first round of antibiotics, but weren't quite completely gone when I stopped him on day 10)
    My suggestion would be to continue "as is" for the next 2 days (Dermalone & SMZ-TMP) and keep reassessing along the way. A decision can be formulated then. I would be tempted, assuming it appears that resolution is right around the corner or the lesions have fully resolved to continue the oral antibiotics for 3 additional days as well as the Dermalone (also in light of the steroid's potential for suppressing signs of inflammation while having not properties of actually treating an infection and the fact that the 2 topical antibiotics in Dermalone are probably not playing a significant part in treating a bacterial infection if that indeed is what is going on).
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

I just noticed that Rocket's lesions appear very similar to the lesions of concern in the current thread started by kat.new: "8-9 week grey squirrel with lesions- started around 5 weeks"
    It may be worthwhile to both of you if you view this thread and consider sharing information. I made the same suggestion to kat.new.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

I agree Sam but keep in mind this is a pet squirrel that lives inside. Due to the fact that squirrel fibroma virus is transmitted by mosquitoes, fleas and direct contact with squirrels with the virus I can’t imagine an inside squirrel getting squirrel pox. I guess anything is possible but it is highly unlikely. I know there are sporadic outbreak of squirrel pox in FL but frankly, it’s not that common. I have never seen a case in FL. I could have missed it but I’m not aware of any outbreaks in FL this year but of course, there could be.

Rocket seems to be getting better so for now I would stay the course. IF this goes south again, David should take Rocket to the vet for a biopsy of the lesions. This would give a definitive diagnosis.

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-30-2021), stepnstone (09-30-2021)

Hey Everyone!

I apologize for the delay. I was really busy with things and then dropped my phone in water. The vet looked at the pictures on day 12 of his SMZ and told me to continue giving them to him for another 7 days, along with the Dermalone. His last dosage was on Thursday of last week. That came out to 19 days on the SMZ and about 10-12 applying the Dermalone. It has been a week since he's been off now. Attached is a picture that I took this past Monday. They seem to be healed up quite nicely and he isn't irritating them anymore

I'm really not sure what happened. It could have been an ant bite, or a flea, or even a mosquito since he plays on my porch every day, and I do have dogs as well.

I hope that the information in this thread and the process we've all gone through for the past month will come in handy if anyone should ever need it. I am absolutely beyond grateful to all of you for your vast wealth of knowledge, and for your completely unselfish willingness to take the time to help me when I was really in need of it! Thank you all!

23. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to DavidDane:

HRT4SQRLS (10-14-2021), island rehabber (10-15-2021), Mel1959 (10-14-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-14-2021), Tuff (10-15-2021)

David, I am beyond happy to see that this has resolved. I really have no idea what it was but it sure was tenacious.
    I’m sure Rocket is happy to have this irritating thing over with and I know you are.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (10-14-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-14-2021)

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Hey guys. So, I'm back... Tonight when I took Rocket out, I noticed another lesion, but this time on his opposite arm. It does not look like how the others looked when they first started, but it is a lump and does have a small area on top where he has scratched it. *Sigh* I don't think it was there yesterday. I find it really strange that it's in almost the same spot but on the opposite arm. I will attach some pictures for you guys to see.

The other arm is completely healed and he hasn't been on any meds for 2 weeks now. Could this be just a bite from something like an ant or flea, or the same thing popping up in a completely new area?? Any ideas?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast