Thread: Male Red Can't Pee...I think

Default Male Red Can't Pee...I think

Have a 2 year old red rescue who is straining to pee or maybe have a bowl movement, I'm not sure which. He's very uncomfortable and a little restless right now. It seems to have started today. Still eats and drinks. Right now he's sitting on his perch trying hard to pass something. I see some poop on the cage floor so I'm leaning towards a urine problem.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks, Wally

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Wally from:

RockyPops (04-14-2020)

Default Re: Male Red Can't Pee...I think

Any pictures of him....straining or better yet, videos?

Is he getting enough water?

And what's his diet like?

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    Any pictures of him....straining or better yet, videos?

Is he getting enough water?

And what's his diet like?
    False alarm. Sorry. His anus was blocked with dry, hard stool. When I finally got a hold on him and I had to squeeze it out.
    Not a happy boy at that point so he drew a little bit of blood from my finger but all in all, a successful operation.
    He's been climbing the curtains and stretching up to the ceiling to grab chunks of stucco to eat. I usually catch him before he eats it and get it out of his mouth but the last few times he's been able to dodge me and swallow a few chunks. I hope that's the problem. I'll try to be more diligent.
    As for his diet I give him the best rodent block that I can buy here and he also gets a variety of veggies and some fruit with a piece of nut once a day. He also drinks water like there's no tomorrow, always has. Again, sorry I posted on the emergency forum. My wife and I kind of panicked because he wouldn't even come out to play. That's not our boy!
    Thanks for answering so quickly, Wally

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Wally:

gunpackingrandma (04-14-2020), RockyPops (04-14-2020)

Good news is always welcome.

Keep an eye on it happening again to be sure it's his bad eating habits and not something else going on.

Still would like to see some pictures!

Glad you unblocked it. You don't then know why it was blocked? Check to make sure that he is drinking enough water and fiber to support a healthy bowel function. Baked squash is super to support healthy bowel function. Organic plain low fat yogurt is one of the most healthy sources that can be included in the diet of tree squirrels, for it aids in digestion and the breaking down of anti-nutrients that otherwise rob the diet of its available calcium to the body.

Are you supplying enough calcium to his diet; sometimes when squirrels chew on the ceiling or wall stucco is because they lack sufficient calcium.

The ceiling stucco back in the last century contained asbestos; if your ceiling was put in then, you should consider testing it, as it is a really bad for any creature to be eating or breathing. Hoping for the best.

https://www.asbestos.com/blog/2018/0...-ceiling-safe/

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RockyPops (04-15-2020)