Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Squirrel is suddenly lethargic, cold, and wobbly.

somnit Guest

Default Baby Squirrel is suddenly lethargic, cold, and wobbly.

I have a squirrel that I rescued from the back yard of a friend's house. He is about 8-9 weeks old, and has been perfectly healthy ever since I took him in (he was about 3-4 weeks at that time). He has been fine all day long, but about an hour ago, as I was about to feed him before going to sleep, I picked him up and noticed that he was cold. I put him on my floor and he could not walk straight. He took a little bit of formula, but not much. He is still very lethargic, but I don't hear any "clicking" (though I'm not even sure what that means). Every time I sit him down or pick him up, he just kinda curls into a ball.

I need help now. ): I don't know what to do.

Default Re: Baby Squirrel is suddenly lethargic, cold, and wobbly.

Hello,
    Hopefully someone who can help you will be along soon.
    There is two links in this thread for emergency online help when no one is available here.
    I believe they charge for one.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17863

somnit Guest

Thank you. I've already posted a question on the free one, but no one seems to be there either.

Follow the instructions in this thread IMMEDIATELY...
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17680

Of course, I'm not sure if this is what it is, and I'm not a rehabber...but most often this is the problem when these symptoms present. Also, the treatment won't hurt him. And if this IS the problem, the treatment could save his life.

AFTER you start this treatment, read through the MBD info under SPECIFIC AILMENTS in the Board Index. I'll go back and get you a link.

This is the forum for MBD...

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/f...play.php?f=168

You mention he is on formula. What is he taking? How much?

The clicking sound: can you hear him making a clicking sound when he breathes? You said you didn't think so...make sure.

Is he on any sort of heat? Heating pad half under the area he sleeps. Or make a sock buddy--fill with rice and microwave until warm. Place near squirrel under a t-shirt or fleece so he can curl up to it. The warmth might help him. If you can hold him wrapped up, do it. The warmth, touch, and nearness of *you* could help him pull through this, too.

I'm kind of grasping here...I know no one is on, but I'm really not a rehabber. ugh. Let me try and find one....

are you keeping him warm?

please let us know how much formula he's been having and what kind? esbilac/fox valley etc...

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

somnit i wanted to pm you mrs skuls phone number ....

if you can email me within the next few minutes i'll email it to you.....

my email is silvana(no spaces)2165@hotmail(dot)com

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

somnit Guest

Right now he's on GNC Ultra Mega for puppies, which I was told was a good formula replacement for squirrel milk. He hasn't had any formula but this. I don't pay much attention to how much he eats, honestly. He usually (from what I am assuming) eats about 1-2 tbsp. every four to six hours. He generally lets me know when he wants to be fed.
    I've had him in front of a heater, and on my own body trying to keep him warm, right now he's in a blanket of mine that he loves.
    He seems to be doing a good bit better, as I had him on the floor with me in front of the heater, and he jumped off of my sweatshirt, onto my floor, rubbed his face all over it, jumped on my bed, rubbed his face on that, and then went into my blanket. He took a bit more formula about five minutes ago, and enthusiastically ate it this time, and I think his body temperature has gone up.

As far as treatment for MBD, I don't have any tums, and I have no vehicle, unfortunately. I was suspecting that or hypothermia, as they both seemed to share the same warning signs.

Can you walk to a convenience store for the tums?

What you're feeding him is not for squirrels..he needs squirrel nutrition. Fox Valley Nutrition formula, to be exact.

Can you email gs1 to get Mrs Skul's number?

somnit this is beyond my help... mrs skul might have some idea of what you can do or what the problem is...

i don't know gnc ... and i don't know if he can absorb the calcium in it etc...

please email me and then call mrs skul.....

if this is mbd you don't have hours to wait ..

if it's something else you need to fix this asap....

when you give him formula do you give it in a spoon or a syringe?

Silvana..

somnit Guest

I emailed Gs1, and there aren't any stores close to where I am.

Do you know if I can get the Foxy Valley Nutrition Formula in any kind of petstore or a place like Walmart or Bilo, or anything like that?

no you can't but in the morning you can go to a health food store or maybe ordinary supermarket and get human grade goats milk/full fat yogurt/full fat whipping cream....

recipe coming... it will do you for a couple of days ..meanwhile if you order fox valley tomorrow (and also please order ultra boost and some syringes) ...anyway the temporary goats milk will feed him until the fox valley order arrives....

Silvana..

You have to order it online: www.foxvalleynutrition.com

There is a goat's milk replacement formula you can use while you are waiting for the formula to arrive... I'll have to find that for you...

But Mrs.Skul will have a better idea about what might be happening to your little one. So call her asap.

somnit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gs1
    somnit this is beyond my help... mrs skul might have some idea of what you can do or what the problem is...

i don't know gnc ... and i don't know if he can absorb the calcium in it etc...

please email me and then call mrs skul.....

if this is mbd you don't have hours to wait ..

if it's something else you need to fix this asap....

when you give him formula do you give it in a spoon or a syringe?

I gave him the formula about five or so minutes ago via syringe.
    I was told by someone (who supposedly had experience with rescuing squirrels) that puppy milk replacement was good. Apparently not.

somnit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fireweed
    You have to order it online: www.foxvalleynutrition.com

There is a goat's milk replacement formula you can use while you are waiting for the formula to arrive... I'll have to find that for you...

But Mrs.Skul will have a better idea about what might be happening to your little one. So call her asap.
    I was told that Goat's milk was one of the worst things you can give a baby squirrel. D:

Apparently not. This happens more than you can imagine.
    Wishing the best for your squirrel...

You're not going to give him straight goat's milk...there is a recipe you need to follow, planned by very experienced squirrel rehabbers.

no email yet.....

try clicking on my name top left...

the third one down is my email address

hopefully that will either open a window or let you cut and paste the address

ps: very little good information on squirrels out there... don't beat yourself up ...this isn't your fault....

Silvana..

somnit Guest

Thank you.

And GS1, my email address is not putting out any emails for some reason. It won't send through. Let me log into another account.

Temporary Goat's Milk Replacement formula...until FV arrives:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...cement+formula

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2