Thread: A Squirrel Approached Me, Now it's In a Box, What's Next?

Artmov Guest

Default A Squirrel Approached Me, Now it's In a Box, What's Next?

New to the forums and I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. I'm not sure if this is "life threatening" but better safe than sorry...

On Sunday evening I had a squirrel come up to me and try to climb onto my foot. My wife ended up bringing it home. Now I'm researching on what to do next and found this forum

Currently the squirrel is in a plastic box (22"x18"x15") with a bunch of holes that we drilled into it. We put in a small cardboard box that it uses to sleep in and we layered the bottom with craft paper, leaves, twigs, a stick from the outdoors and a bowl of bottled water.

I took a couple of pictures of the squirrel, would you be able to take a look and tell me the age of the squirrel? It's not a baby, but definitely not an adult either. I want to make sure we feed it properly, should I be giving it puppy formula? Here are the pics: https://imgur.com/a/U8rtIBu

My wife has been feeding it fruits, vegetables and nuts. It seems to be eating most of the food provided and really enjoys sun flower seeds. It sleeps for most of the day, otherwise its digging, exploring, climbing or eating.

My wife wants to keep it as a pet but I don't think that will be possible as we live in a 2 bedroom apartment in the city (Montreal, Quebec). From what I read so far, a squirrel needs a large cage to be happy in, we don't have the space for that, and it needs to be released for exercise for a few hours per day and this raises concern of furniture and wire damage.

If it's old enough, I think it would be best to release it back into the wild. My concern is its a little too friendly and doesn't show fear. I picket it up twice and it nibbles at the gloves for a minute then it just curls up in a ball and falls asleep in my hands, doesn't even try to escape. The strange part is my wife says that it ponces and makes some strange sound at her and my daughter, but when I came home from work it acts completely calm...

I'm also a bit concerned that it has rabbis, because from what I read, usually the first signs of rabbis is fearlessness in animals, but then I read on squirrelnutrition.com that its almost impossible for squirrels to get rabbis. How would you explain its fearlessness?

What do you think is best for the squirrel at this point?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Artmov from:

Nancy in New York (05-07-2019)

Default Re: A Squirrel Approached Me, Now it's In a Box, What's Next?

He is still young. It would be a very good idea to add Esbilac puppy formula (the powdered stuff, not the liquid). He/she may not want to eat from a syringe but may lap it up. He really is too young for solid food but he was likely very, very hungry.

Please stop nuts and sunflower seeds. I know he likes them but they are really not good for him, especially now, when he needs the right nutrition the most.

Is he drinking? Can you get your hands on some small syringes - 1cc is best, 3cc will do. You don't need needles, just the syringe part, and will use it to try feeding the warmed puppy formula. Don't try to use a bottle of any kind.

And don't worry about rabies. Something happened to this baby's mama probably - and he made his way down from the nest because he was starving. They will attach to anything then. Coming to you for help is really pretty normal under the circumstances.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Diggie's Friend (05-07-2019), TubeDriver (05-11-2019)

Artmov Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    He is still young. It would be a very good idea to add Esbilac puppy formula (the powdered stuff, not the liquid). He/she may not want to eat from a syringe but may lap it up. He really is too young for solid food but he was likely very, very hungry.

Please stop nuts and sunflower seeds. I know he likes them but they are really not good for him, especially now, when he needs the right nutrition the most.

Is he drinking? Can you get your hands on some small syringes - 1cc is best, 3cc will do. You don't need needles, just the syringe part, and will use it to try feeding the warmed puppy formula. Don't try to use a bottle of any kind.

And don't worry about rabies. Something happened to this baby's mama probably - and he made his way down from the nest because he was starving. They will attach to anything then. Coming to you for help is really pretty normal under the circumstances.
    Thank you for the prompt response.

What should we feed it while I get the formula?

Is this the right formula?
    https://www.amazon.ca/PetAg-Products...gateway&sr=8-1

Where can I get a 1cc syringe, pharmacy I guess?

Yes, we put in a bowl of bottled water and he goes to drink from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Artmov View Post
    Thank you for the prompt response.

What should we feed it while I get the formula?

Is this the right formula?
    https://www.amazon.ca/PetAg-Products...gateway&sr=8-1

Where can I get a 1cc syringe, pharmacy I guess?

Yes, we put in a bowl of bottled water and he goes to drink from there.

Yes that is the corrrect formula.
    You can give it the Temporary Goat's milk formula and then transition to the Esbilac.
    Get a good quality rodent block. This is used by many here.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N0EPSKU...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    My squirrels always eat the picky blocks from Henry's.
    The owner of Henry's is a member of TSB and she makes these blocks fresh daily.
    https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=henry%27s...l_5feb3q1vm5_b

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels do better with the ESBILAC PUPPY FORMULA, with probiotics, instead of Fox Valley. If the Goat's Milk formula is used, omit the heavy whipping cream for the first two weeks of life.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Diggie's Friend (05-07-2019), Grinderhead (05-07-2019), Mel1959 (05-07-2019)

On Sunday evening I had a squirrel come up to me and try to climb onto my foot. My wife ended up bringing it home. Now I'm researching on what to do next and found this forum

One more thing. This probably is not the only little squirrel roaming around. He/she probably has siblings.
    When they are young, hungry, scared and motherless, they will make a sound like this.
    I'm not sure if they will still make this noise at this age, but listen for it if you go back.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHGwgONYkHk

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Grinderhead (05-07-2019), Mel1959 (05-07-2019)

Artmov Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Yes that is the corrrect formula.
    You can give it the Temporary Goat's milk formula and then transition to the Esbilac.
    Get a good quality rodent block. This is used by many here.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N0EPSKU...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    My squirrels always eat the picky blocks from Henry's.
    The owner of Henry's is a member of TSB and she makes these blocks fresh daily.
    https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=henry%27s...l_5feb3q1vm5_b
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

One more thing. This probably is not the only little squirrel roaming around. He/she probably has siblings.
    When they are young, hungry, scared and motherless, they will make a sound like this.
    I'm not sure if they will still make this noise at this age, but listen for it if you go back.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHGwgONYkHk
    Thank you for the valuable info.
    Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to go back to look for its siblings. I was at the same spot for a while where I found the squirrel and didn't see or hear any more of them.

The squirrel is being fed about 8ml Esbilac twice daily, in between the feedings it gets some fruits, veggies or crackers..
    Seems pretty happy so far, sleeps a lot, when awake it's very active, goes to the washroom normally...

Its weight is about 166 grams. From the info I found online it's around 7 weeks old.
    When and where should it be released? We are from Montreal .

166 grams is usually just into the 6th week.
    It should be eating about 10 to 12 ml of formula 5 to 6 times per day (every 4 to 5 hours).
    I am concerned that they usually eat a total of 50 to 70 ml per day of formula at this size.. and yours is only getting 16 ml.
    Not only is not getting enough formula.. it is not getting enough fluids which could lead to severe dehydration.
    I would normally be doing 5 feedings during the day, and a middle of the night feeding (like 3am) as it's tummy is not big enough to carry it through the night yet.
    For instance (checking my records) when my Voodoo and Hoodoo were 166 grams back on March 22nd .. they ate 12 ml each at 2am, 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6:30pm, and 10:30pm.

Reading back.. I note that no one mentioned how often or how much to feed it formula.

Normal amount is...

5-7 weeks (120 to 160 grams) - every 4 to 5 hours
    7-8 weeks (160 to 240 grams) - every 8 hours
    8-10 weeks (240 to 400 grams) - every 12 hours
    10+ - offer once per day

Up until they open their eyes, we stick to 5% of their body weight per feeding.
    But after they open their eyes they will gradually eat more.. up to 8% of their bodyweight.

You are estimating it is 7 weeks old.. but it's weight is right at the edge between the first two periods I mentioned above, so I would go with 5 or 6 hour feedings for right now.
    At 166 grams it should be eating between 10 and 12 ml every six hours.
    (In my example about Voodoo/Hoodoo in previous post they were 6 weeks old and getting more feedings). Yours may be 7 weeks old but smaller.

If it acts finicky, or cuts off at 5% or less, try warming the formula until it feels hot to the finger but warm on the inside of your wrist. They sometimes stop early if it is not warm enough.
    At 7 weeks old it is too young to be weaning yet. It will eat solids, but needs to get as much formula as it can to grow healthy and strong.

Releasing doesn’t happen till about 14-16 weeks old, or older for one being released by itself. Would you like us to see if we can find someone to take this little one?

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (05-11-2019)

Thank you for the valuable info.
    Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to go back to look for its siblings. I was at the same spot for a while where I found the squirrel and didn't see or hear any more of them.

The squirrel is being fed about 8ml Esbilac twice daily, in between the feedings it gets some fruits, veggies or crackers..
    Seems pretty happy so far, sleeps a lot, when awake it's very active, goes to the washroom normally...

Its weight is about 166 grams. From the info I found online it's around 7 weeks old.
    When and where should it be released? We are from Montreal .
    You can contact me if you wish... I'm in st-Lazare and might be able to help . Sending you my phone number in private message
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

16. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

lukaslolamaus (05-10-2019), Mel1959 (05-11-2019), Nancy in New York (05-11-2019), stepnstone (05-11-2019), TubeDriver (05-11-2019)

Artmov Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    Reading back.. I note that no one mentioned how often or how much to feed it formula.

Normal amount is...

5-7 weeks (120 to 160 grams) - every 4 to 5 hours
    7-8 weeks (160 to 240 grams) - every 8 hours
    8-10 weeks (240 to 400 grams) - every 12 hours
    10+ - offer once per day

Up until they open their eyes, we stick to 5% of their body weight per feeding.
    But after they open their eyes they will gradually eat more.. up to 8% of their bodyweight.

You are estimating it is 7 weeks old.. but it's weight is right at the edge between the first two periods I mentioned above, so I would go with 5 or 6 hour feedings for right now.
    At 166 grams it should be eating between 10 and 12 ml every six hours.
    (In my example about Voodoo/Hoodoo in previous post they were 6 weeks old and getting more feedings). Yours may be 7 weeks old but smaller.

If it acts finicky, or cuts off at 5% or less, try warming the formula until it feels hot to the finger but warm on the inside of your wrist. They sometimes stop early if it is not warm enough.
    At 7 weeks old it is too young to be weaning yet. It will eat solids, but needs to get as much formula as it can to grow healthy and strong.
    Thank you for the details.
    The squirrel always wanted more furmula during feeding. We would limit its intake at about 8ml because we read somewhere that we shouldn't overfeed it. We'll defintaly increase the amount of formula to 12ml every 6 hours. Should we offer it any snacks (fruits and veggies) in between the feedings? We also have a bowl of bottled water in its box, is that okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Releasing doesn’t happen till about 14-16 weeks old, or older for one being released by itself. Would you like us to see if we can find someone to take this little one?
    Scooterzmom suggested a local group on Facebook that might be able to help. I will try to contacting them for help first. Thank you very much for your offer to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    You can contact me if you wish... I'm in st-Lazare and might be able to help . Sending you my phone number in private message
    thank you for the info in the PM. I'll be in touch.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Artmov:

Mel1959 (05-11-2019), stepnstone (05-11-2019)

I would remove the dish of water until it starts to refuse formula in couple of weeks. A feeding bottle would be better at this age (less chance of aspiration and pneumonia).

For solids you want nothing but rodent blocks for about the next week or so. Once it is chewing regularly on the blocks you can introduce green vegetables (no fruit or nuts or crackers).

Artmov Guest

Would you like us to see if we can find someone to take this little one?
    If you know of anyone in Montreal who is willing to take in the squirrel please let me know. I also got in touch with a local group on Facebook that will try to find a home for the squirrel. In the meantime, we're doing evreything we can to properly take care of it, but due to our lifestyle we won't be able to keep it up for much longer.

squirreleygirl Guest

It's so friendly... I'm wondering if it was raised by someone, then released? Squirrels tend to bond to one human.... the fact that it was growling at the others makes me wonder if it was just release too early by another human?

I have raised 9 babies so far... 4 found crawling around at only 3-4 weeks (pretty sure mom was taken by a hawk, so they crawled down out of their nest looking for food) and the others were all found after storms, presumably blown out of their nests, so raised as singles.

My currently single girl is only 8 weeks old this week, and is fully weaned (I'm still offering her Esbilac with heavy whipping cream and yogurt in a syringe, but she is fat and happy and refusing it, and eating her rodent block and fruits / veggies like a champ. (All of my others weaned much later though)

I definitely do not think you need to worry about the rabies. I have my vet check and vaccinate each of my rescues before I release them, but there is very little chance of a squirrel ever getting rabies.

Good luck with the little guy!

If you know of anyone in Montreal who is willing to take in the squirrel please let me know. I also got in touch with a local group on Facebook that will try to find a home for the squirrel. In the meantime, we're doing evreything we can to properly take care of it, but due to our lifestyle we won't be able to keep it up for much longer.
    Was the local group on Facebook Ecureuil Land? I was going to suggest you contact them.

Artmov Guest

Was the local group on Facebook Ecureuil Land? I was going to suggest you contact them.
    Yes it was. I guess the only thing to do now is wait for them to find someone.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Artmov from:

Mel1959 (05-15-2019)

i know I’m far but if you are by chance coming out this way I can take him. I have 13 years experience with squirrels. Perhaps even a friend of yours coming out this way?

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrelfriend from:

Nancy in New York (05-25-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.