Thread: Has anyone used this type of harness?

Default Has anyone used this type of harness?

I was wondering if anyone has used this type of harness for a grey squirrel?

Default Re: Has anyone used this type of harness?

I guess a picture would help! lolName:  Harness.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  111.0 KB

I tried to put my bearded dragon's harness on Sammy once. I'll be the first to admit I'm a pretty stubborn and determined person, but I gave up quickly with that task. I know now he will NEVER allow it.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

Nancy in New York (03-15-2017), SammysMom (03-19-2017), ScrappyDo (03-16-2017), Shewhosweptforest (03-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by jlee413 View Post
    I tried to put my bearded dragon's harness on Sammy once. I'll be the first to admit I'm a pretty stubborn and determined person, but I gave up quickly with that task. I know now he will NEVER allow it.
    there aren't enough hands to pull it off as in getting it on but we have had a few people start at an early age and succeed in getting their squirrel to wear a harness....but, everyone I've ever kept up with, had their squirrels escape the harness.....sometimes outside lucky to have caught them immediately or days later. It's just not a risk I'm willing to take
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

6. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shewhosweptforest:

Jen413 (03-16-2017), KarmaKay (03-20-2017), Nancy in New York (03-16-2017), SammysMom (03-19-2017), Sara in NW MS (03-21-2017), ScrappyDo (03-16-2017)

Hmmm.... nat I ask where did you find this? My little paraplegic boy Victor is semi-used to a harness but the kind he has does not stay on well. Now I'm thinking the desig of this one might be useful... it might be possible to rig it so as to help secure his little two-wheel buggy underneath him for cruising around the house.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

KarmaKay (03-20-2017), SammysMom (03-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    Hmmm.... nat I ask where did you find this? My little paraplegic boy Victor is semi-used to a harness but the kind he has does not stay on well. Now I'm thinking the desig of this one might be useful... it might be possible to rig it so as to help secure his little two-wheel buggy underneath him for cruising around the house.
    I typed in "squirrel harness" on Ebay. It's only $7.

I have the one that that Tin Tin on YouTube wears.

Quote Originally Posted by LexisDad View Post
    I like that one! When did you start getting your squirrel/s used to it? I've just cut up a t-shirt into a square with arm holes and I am putting them on my 5 week old squirrels today to get them used to having something put on and taken off. Have they ever escaped it? Thank you!

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ScrappyDo from:

KarmaKay (03-20-2017)

Two wheel buggy? Do you have pictures? Scooter is likely too old to adapt but that's a resource for another little one. Pictures?

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

KarmaKay (03-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Two wheel buggy? Do you have pictures? Scooter is likely too old to adapt but that's a resource for another little one. Pictures?
    Here are 2 pics of our little Victor with his buggy.

Name:  Victor & buggy1.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  76.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    - Gandhi -

16. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

gunpackingrandma (03-19-2017), KarmaKay (03-20-2017), Nancy in New York (03-18-2017), SammysMom (03-19-2017), Shewhosweptforest (03-18-2017), TubeDriver (03-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyDo View Post
    I like that one! When did you start getting your squirrel/s used to it? I've just cut up a t-shirt into a square with arm holes and I am putting them on my 5 week old squirrels today to get them used to having something put on and taken off. Have they ever escaped it? Thank you!
    She is just getting used to it.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LexisDad:

SammysMom (03-19-2017), ScrappyDo (03-20-2017)

Where did you get the buggy? I guess climbing is out of the question but running? OH YEAH! If you want I can send a skut for your sweetie. Need measurments.

That's a great resource! The biggie is precious and I'm sure adds to the quality of life!

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Where did you get the buggy? I guess climbing is out of the question but running? OH YEAH! If you want I can send a skut for your sweetie. Need measurments.
    The buggy was a thank-you gift from a gentleman I'd helped when he'd found an injured squirrel. He was such a nice fellow, so generous with his time.

It's hard to describe but ... it's made, I believe, from an inner shoe or boot sole that was trimmed on the side and to which he rigged/glued the wheels; he then glued a velcro strip underneath the buggy itself in order to attach it to the harness (which also has a velcro on its underpart). In other words, it's a two-piece thing. A harness, and a separate buggy. We slip the harness on the little guy, and then we slip the buggy underneath him while fastening the 2 pieces of velcro together.

Believe it or not, Victor does manage to climb with it - it's very light and does manage to stay purty straight. Needless to say I never let him lose around the house, to roll OR climb all by himself without supervision. But it sure is a hoot to watch him go.

A skut??? What is that?
    - Gandhi -

She is just getting used to it.
    Would you mind telling me where you bought it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    there aren't enough hands to pull it off as in getting it on but we have had a few people start at an early age and succeed in getting their squirrel to wear a harness....but, everyone I've ever kept up with, had their squirrels escape the harness.....sometimes outside lucky to have caught them immediately or days later. It's just not a risk I'm willing to take
    Same here.

We really wanted to be able to do this for our non releases Peewee and Hootsie (Braveheart). While you can lose a finger doing it, the issue isn't getting on the harness it's the risk of them slipping free and releasing themselves into a world they are not prepared for. Not worth the risk for us either.
    Proud Squaddy to Pee Wee Squirrel, Lebron, Marino, Griese, Csonka, Patty, Sneezy, Grumpy, Shortcake, Trixie, Stinky, Hooty, Chewey, Bucky,Peyton, Dash, Braveheart, Thelma & Louise, Plumpkin & Spice, Nemo & Dori, the three little bears Smoky, Yogi and Booboo.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Coralreefer:

Mel1959 (03-21-2017), Nancy in New York (03-21-2017)

I have this one, also. It seems to fit way more securely than the others I have tried, and is very adjustable. The only down-side is that it is held closed with the snap to the leash, so I can't put it on my blind girl in her cage to allow her to move freely while she gets used to it. (Meaning, it won't stay on without the leash...I'm sure I could come up with some kind of fastener, but I haven't done that yet.)

It would take me a minute to find the name/manufacturer, but it is available through amazon.co.uk.

Best,
    Kate (& Fleury)

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kdhith from:

ScrappyDo (03-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by kdhith View Post
    I have this one, also. It seems to fit way more securely than the others I have tried, and is very adjustable. The only down-side is that it is held closed with the snap to the leash, so I can't put it on my blind girl in her cage to allow her to move freely while she gets used to it. (Meaning, it won't stay on without the leash...I'm sure I could come up with some kind of fastener, but I haven't done that yet.)

It would take me a minute to find the name/manufacturer, but it is available through amazon.co.uk.

Best,
    Kate (& Fleury)

I got mine from Decan (Tintin's Dad) too. It's made by a brand called Nobby, made for ferrets.

I only found it on Amazon for the United Kingdom, I couldn't find it anywhere available to ship to the US. I ended up paying Decan to buy one and ship it to Montana for me (not that I'm suggesting he would do that for others, just explaining where I got mine)

It is this one:

Name:  nobby.jpeg
Views: 443
Size:  9.4 KB

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Elise from:

ScrappyDo (04-22-2017)