Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Common Mistakes and fixes

Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

Quote Originally Posted by KimbleSquible View Post
    On keeping the formula warm during a feed:
    I make up half a days formula at a time, I invested in tiny little plastic containers and I divide the formula into these.
    I put very hot water into a slightly bigger cup and put one small container into it. It heats it up really quickly and maintains it's temperature for a good 15 minutes. By dividing the formula I don't reheat it again and again.

(sdfghjjjjjjjjjgfdslt6y) Some input from Scrib the Squib and his stick...

Which leads me to another tip: Cover your keyboard in Cling Wrap!!
    Amen! I make my living typing from home and lost more than one keyboard from squirrel pee. I think it was because that keyboard kept me from playing with her. I have found keyboard skins on line. Best thing ever made!
    My Roxi, my girl forever. She stole my heart. She is gone but never forgotten.

Treecat Guest

Thanks for the helpful thread.

Why not use distilled water?
    What do you do for diarrhea?

Unhappy Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

Hello, I'm new here. May I add never use cardboard boxes to keep your babies in as it can pull the moisture out of the air. Learned this the hard way recently and now I am trying to soothe their poor cracked skin (it literally happened in a few short hours after keeping them in the box for a week...the cracking I mean...they were obviously drying out all week!).

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyDo View Post
    Hello, I'm new here. May I add never use cardboard boxes to keep your babies in as it can pull the moisture out of the air. Learned this the hard way recently and now I am trying to soothe their poor cracked skin (it literally happened in a few short hours after keeping them in the box for a week...the cracking I mean...they were obviously drying out all week!).
    ScrappyDo, for bringing up this extremely important point! I know that we have mentioned it many times in the course of many threads, but putting it here is even more effective. Especially with pinkies but with all babies, cardboard is a NONO .
    (PS: I have resorted to smoothing a bit of high-quality olive oil on their skin. If my grandma used it on her human babies, it can't be bad for little squees, either. It worked.)

Oh, and WELCOME to The Squirrel Board!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    ScrappyDo, for bringing up this extremely important point! I know that we have mentioned it many times in the course of many threads, but putting it here is even more effective. Especially with pinkies but with all babies, cardboard is a NONO .
    (PS: I have resorted to smoothing a bit of high-quality olive oil on their skin. If my grandma used it on her human babies, it can't be bad for little squees, either. It worked.)

Oh, and WELCOME to The Squirrel Board!
    Thank you! Sooo happy to have found this site! I used a bit of neosporin right when I realized what was happening (it happened sooo fast!). Olive oil is a great idea! I am out at this time but I do have unrefined organic coconut oil and Emu oil. I was thinking of using Emu oil as I use it myself because it is supposed to resemble our natural oils. What do you think? I will post pics and questions in the help section as soon as I get my sweeties skin rubbed down.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ScrappyDo from:

island rehabber (02-20-2017)

I do have unrefined organic coconut oil and Emu oil. I was thinking of using Emu oil as I use it myself because it is supposed to resemble our natural oils. What do you think? .
    I don't have personal experience with the Emu oil, but I believe the coconut oil is mild and effective for little ones. Be VERY cautious regarding tea tree oil, though -- a member here had a scary experience with that stuff as it is far more toxic than its publicity people want you to know and I would never use it on a baby squirrel.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (03-10-2017), ScrappyDo (02-20-2017), stosh2010 (03-01-2017)

I was thinking of using Emu oil as I use it myself because it is supposed to resemble our natural oils. What do you think? I will post pics and questions in the help section as soon as I get my sweeties skin rubbed down.

Emu is perfectly safe.
    CritterMom suggests it for pox squirrels.
    As you know a little goes a LONG way.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Mel1959 (03-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Emu is perfectly safe.
    CritterMom suggests it for pox squirrels.
    As you know a little goes a LONG way.
    That is great news, Nancy, thank you! It is such a healing oil! I just applied a tiny amount on them both!

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ScrappyDo:

Mel1959 (03-10-2017), Nancy in New York (02-20-2017)

silversibby Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Never shake your formulas to mix.

This may seem picky but remember bubbles formed in the formula end up in your baby's tummy and can cause bloat. And bloat can kill. Always treat your formulas gently and stir to mix.
    Hello....I am searching your forum high and low looking for what Ive done wrong I woke up this AM and one of Two 4 week old gray squirrels had passed away. I last fed it about 11:30 the night before and went to feed them at 5 this morning. It had eaten very well the night before and used the bathroom more than it had in the 5 days I had them. They were finally eagerly searching for the milk, and I thought we were out of the woods. =(
    *I have them in a tub with a heating pad but inside a smaller box with towels, sitting on the heating pad
    *The deceased baby had crawled to the very bottom, closest to the heat
    *It appeared to have thrown up milk and defecated as well
    *Its belly was more swollen than normal(what made me think Id given it too much air)
    *This particular baby was hardest to fed, it constantly turned its head
    *They had a traumatic separation and another litter mate died the day they were found with crushed legs (land being cleared with heavy machinery)
    *I am feeding them canned goats milk(though after finding this forum I will do better)

Wmlkll2007 Guest

Post Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

Quote Originally Posted by spykitten01 View Post
    Im not positive about the weight - but I continued to mix yogurt and a little heavy whipping cream into my formula once I got the FV. Probiotics from the yogurt are ALWAYS a good thing. Plain is best, as it has no artificial sweeteners or too much sugar, but you can use vanilla or banana if you cant find any plain. You also want it to be full fat yogurt. A lot of people here use the yobaby yogurt, Ive used the Dannon or Old Home plain yogurt and mine like that just fine.
    Hello. Where would I get heavy whipping cream?

Quote Originally Posted by Wmlkll2007 View Post
    Hello. Where would I get heavy whipping cream?
    In the grocery store near the milk.
    Some say whipping cream, others say heavy cream,
    same thing but heavy cream has more milk fat.

There are differences in milk-fat content.
    All cream contains at least 18 percent milk fat: "whipping cream" is made up of 30 percent,
    while cartons labeled "heavy cream" or "heavy whipping cream" must contain 36 percent or more.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Mel1959 (03-10-2017)

I am not sure if I am causing this or how to fix the following:

First - this is my first squirrel rescue, my goal is for a successful release, and I have already made a couple mistakes, so hoping for eliminate yet another one at the expense of this cute girl.

I made Girl Squirrels nursery one of those blue low edge clear totes. Well overnight she just grew (now 6 wks old), and so I moved her to a large clear tote with higher edges.

When I went to put her into the new tote, she started spinning, moaning, light squeaking. I put my hand in to comfort her, and she puts a death grip on my hand. So, I nested the two totes together so she could see the blue. Once I finally got her settled I put her in her bed sock and put her back in the new tote. I evaluated her off and on until she needed fed. Pulled her out, played with her and went to put her back in the tote to rest and fall asleep. She repeated the spazzy spinning, moaning and light squeaking. I put my hand down to comfort and sure enough a death grip on my hand.

This repeats throughout the day, but this evening right before I get to the box, she starts getting fidgity, and moaning. Clearly she is not happy about this change, and right now is curdled up next to me sleeping.

What should I do or not do?
    Squirrel Regards
    Defender of Girl Squirrel the Adventurer
    Daily Photos https://twitter.com/squirrelmyworld

Quote Originally Posted by awolf View Post
    I am not sure if I am causing this or how to fix the following:

First - this is my first squirrel rescue, my goal is for a successful release, and I have already made a couple mistakes, so hoping for eliminate yet another one at the expense of this cute girl.

I made Girl Squirrels nursery one of those blue low edge clear totes. Well overnight she just grew (now 6 wks old), and so I moved her to a large clear tote with higher edges.

When I went to put her into the new tote, she started spinning, moaning, light squeaking. I put my hand in to comfort her, and she puts a death grip on my hand. So, I nested the two totes together so she could see the blue. Once I finally got her settled I put her in her bed sock and put her back in the new tote. I evaluated her off and on until she needed fed. Pulled her out, played with her and went to put her back in the tote to rest and fall asleep. She repeated the spazzy spinning, moaning and light squeaking. I put my hand down to comfort and sure enough a death grip on my hand.

This repeats throughout the day, but this evening right before I get to the box, she starts getting fidgity, and moaning. Clearly she is not happy about this change, and right now is curdled up next to me sleeping.

What should I do or not do?
    It sounds like she is a little spoiled. I doubt it's the new bin. She just wants to be with you. Do you have fleece or a T-shirt in the bin. Is the bin half on a LOW heating pad? Usually after they eat they are ready to sleep. They like to burrow under the fleece. You could also try a rice buddy. Fill a cotton sock with rice. Microwave it for a minute. Massage the rice buddy to mix the rice. This will eliminate 'hot spots'. Wrap it in something. A warm buddy might help Girl Squirrel.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (04-11-2017), Nancy in New York (04-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    It sounds like she is a little spoiled. I doubt it's the new bin. She just wants to be with you. Do you have fleece or a T-shirt in the bin. Is the bin half on a LOW heating pad? Usually after they eat they are ready to sleep. They like to burrow under the fleece. You could also try a rice buddy. Fill a cotton sock with rice. Microwave it for a minute. Massage the rice buddy to mix the rice. This will eliminate 'hot spots'. Wrap it in something. A warm buddy might help Girl Squirrel.
    HRT4SQRLS - thank you for the quick reply.

1. have a heating pad set to low, situated on one side.

2. I have a fleece thing she curls into to sleep. I cut the sleeve off one of my kids coats that was super soft.

3. Typically she will go to sleep, no problems. Not today.

Are you recommending a rice buddy in addition? Am I encouraging this behavior and should I just let her flip out to self sooth? Truthfully I probably feel guilty since she is a loner.
    Squirrel Regards

Just throwing this out there: Is there any sort of a smell / order to the new bin? Maybe try wiping it down with a diluted vinegar solution or something? I have seen similar reactions to ammonia type smells.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Ekorre (04-11-2017), Nancy in New York (04-11-2017)

I had a single one like her, once, who screamed on top of his little lungs if I tried to leave the room.
    A rice buddy and a few stuffies in the bin with him did help. Darkening the room he was in, or covering the bin 3/4 of the way with a dark cloth also calmed him. Remember that in a natural setting, mamma would have her 6-wk olds shoved waaaaay down to the bottom of the nest, with all kinds of stuff piled on top of them, and it would be pretty dark.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Ekorre (04-11-2017), Nancy in New York (04-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Just throwing this out there: Is there any sort of a smell / order to the new bin? Maybe try wiping it down with a diluted vinegar solution or something? I have seen similar reactions to ammonia type smells.

Thinking along these lines, you initially said a blue clear tote.
    Now you have her in a clear tote?
    Just wondering if she is feeling too exposed when looking out,
    and if the blue somehow muted what she was seeing.
    Do you have a top on the tote?

Word of caution, don't pile anything too close to the sides,
    they can and do pull themselves up and out without a top.
    (oh, and make sure you have PLENTY of air holes in the tote as well)

Edit: I was babysitting some little ones a few years ago.
    I would put them in a bin when I cleaned their cage.
    I have NO other animals here, so there was never a need for a top..
    unless it was to keep the squirrel inside the bin.
    Here's a perfect example of what they can do, and they do it so fast too!~

VIDEO Click on picture

Last edited by Nancy in New York; 04-11-2017 at 08:23 AM.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Ekorre (04-11-2017)

Cool Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Thinking along these lines, you initially said a blue clear tote.
    Now you have her in a clear tote?
    Just wondering if she is feeling too exposed when looking out,
    and if the blue somehow muted what she was seeing.
    Do you have a top on the tote?

Word of caution, don't pile anything too close to the sides,
    they can and do pull themselves up and out without a top.
    (oh, and make sure you have PLENTY of air holes in the tote as well)

Edit: I was babysitting some little ones a few years ago.
    I would put them in a bin when I cleaned their cage.
    I have NO other animals here, so there was never a need for a top..
    unless it was to keep the squirrel inside the bin.
    Here's a perfect example of what they can do, and they do it so fast too!~

VIDEO Click on picture

Nancy I was wonder the same exact thing regarding exposure. I am going to try and post pictures of the totes, but I have to do that from my phone, and then find this message. *Haven't figured out how to follow things.

My cat would be ok so thankful if there was no lid.
    Squirrel Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Spanky - good thinking. I had clothes in the tote previously, but didnt think to "clean" it.
    Squirrel Regards

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I had a single one like her, once, who screamed on top of his little lungs if I tried to leave the room.
    A rice buddy and a few stuffies in the bin with him did help. Darkening the room he was in, or covering the bin 3/4 of the way with a dark cloth also calmed him. Remember that in a natural setting, mamma would have her 6-wk olds shoved waaaaay down to the bottom of the nest, with all kinds of stuff piled on top of them, and it would be pretty dark.
    Ok, now I am getting a better picture, because my room is full of light and I moved the new tote to an old Sewing Table Stand. I may have to create a cave like setting.

Thank you
    Squirrel Regards

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 38