Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doug's Buddy weighs 82g but looks 6 weeks old?

Default Doug's Buddy weighs 82g but looks 6 weeks old?

Hello! We are so happy we found this forum! A week ago we found a baby hoping into our garage. Sent her to a rehabber we found through a friend. That night we found another girl crossing the road towards our house and she had a bloody nose. Rehabber came and got her. The next day we found another female drinking water from leaves in our flowerbed. As we were picking her up, a male fell out of a tree right in front of my eyes. We decided to try to take care of them ourselves. We listened to the 'rehabber' and put them in a box with towels. Fed them goats milk with 5 cc syringe. After 2 days the female started with diarrhea and passed that night. We stayed up all night and it broke our hearts. That was the night we found you guys and knew her death was probably our fault. Box, towels, goats milk and a 5 cc syringe...all terrible advice. Buddy is now in his habitat doing well (we think) but only weighs 82 grams. We think he's about 5-6 weeks but not sure. We are in the process of transitioning him to esbilac and adding heavy whipping cream and organic live cultured plain yogurt. He's been eating between 4.7 cc and 5.5 cc every 4-5 hours. Is there anything else we need to do? Anyone have an idea of his actual age? Thank you so much for in advance for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: Doug's Buddy weighs 82g but looks 6 weeks old?

Quote Originally Posted by DougsBuddy View Post
    Hello! We are so happy we found this forum! A week ago we found a baby hoping into our garage. Sent her to a rehabber we found through a friend. That night we found another girl crossing the road towards our house and she had a bloody nose. Rehabber came and got her. The next day we found another female drinking water from leaves in our flowerbed. As we were picking her up, a male fell out of a tree right in front of my eyes. We decided to try to take care of them ourselves. We listened to the 'rehabber' and put them in a box with towels. Fed them goats milk with 5 cc syringe. After 2 days the female started with diarrhea and passed that night. We stayed up all night and it broke our hearts. That was the night we found you guys and knew her death was probably our fault. Box, towels, goats milk and a 5 cc syringe...all terrible advice. Buddy is now in his habitat doing well (we think) but only weighs 82 grams. We think he's about 5-6 weeks but not sure. We are in the process of transitioning him to esbilac and adding heavy whipping cream and organic live cultured plain yogurt. He's been eating between 4.7 cc and 5.5 cc every 4-5 hours. Is there anything else we need to do? Anyone have an idea of his actual age? Thank you so much for in advance for your help!
    I'd put him closer to 6-7 weeks. I would do the transition to Esbilac but hold off on any additives and let his digestive system adjust.
    Adding too much too soon for him to dijest at once will result in diarrhea.
    You need a small (food) scale that weighs in grams, squirrels are fed between 5-7% according to their body weight.
    Meds if needed down the line are also dosed according to body weight.
    I'm attaching a link below for baby squirrel care and a picture of the proper Esbilac formula. Powder never use liquid!

Go to this link this is a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.
    http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Name:  formula sm.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  32.4 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

DougsBuddy (09-14-2018)

I would like to beat that 'rehabber' with his cardboard box.
    Also fear for what happened to the other two.
    Thank god you found this board!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

DougsBuddy (09-14-2018)

We agree on the beating 😠 She won't respond to me very often so I'm worried about those babies as well. We are using the right esbilac and will cut off the yogurt and cream if you think that's best. He has been on 1/4 of each for 24 hours...goats milk, esbilac, yogurt and heavy whipping cream. I know where the 'rehabber' lives and I'm seriously considering just showing up to 'check on' the other 2.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DougsBuddy from:

cava (09-14-2018)

I've found that sometimes being caring can disarm folks. If you are there to check on them, what can it hurt?

May be you could say you wish your guy had buddies and you'd be happy to take them...to be helpful, of course.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

DougsBuddy (09-14-2018)

Hey... that's a great idea! Thank you for that. I told her I would try to take care of these I had but would appreciate any help she could provide. It seems she didn't like that and isn't responding because of it. Btw...82 grams is tiny for a 6-7 week old baby?

Hey... that's a great idea! Thank you for that. I told her I would try to take care of these I had but would appreciate any help she could provide. It seems she didn't like that and isn't responding because of it. Btw...82 grams is tiny for a 6-7 week old baby?

It is but with proper nutrition he should catch up.
    I've had them with such malnutrition and stunted growth where
    I was sure they would remain a runt only to have them turn around
    to become big ol' bruisers.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (09-14-2018), DougsBuddy (09-14-2018)

Dawwww...we sure hope Buddy does! What do you suggest to feed him if he's 6 weeks? The esbilac only? Do we need to add the squirrel blocks now or wait?

Offer a high quality rodent block now. He will nibble and it may take time, but he will get it eventually. He can also have a dish or water bottle or both in his cage at this age.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

DougsBuddy (09-14-2018), stepnstone (09-14-2018)

Ok...thank you. Let me get you a pic of what we got and make sure it's ok for him.

You will want him to be eating the block well before you introduce any other solids.
    Once they wean a good quality block is their assurance of getting the nutrition they
    require and to prevent MBD (metabolic bone disease) from lack of calcium.
    Pictured below are some of the higher quality block recommended.
    The first three can be purchased at many pet supplies, the forth pictured (Henry's hhb's)
    needs to be ordered on line as they are made and shipped fresh. Unlike other commercial
    block HHB's were developed especially for a squirrel's nutritional requirements.

https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

Name:  AdultMain__01001.1423351887.1280.1280_edited.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  41.2 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (09-14-2018), dr3am (09-25-2018)

This is what we are using to feed Buddy now. The tiny bottle is only used to mix/store his formula for 24 hours if feedings. We haven't given him the blocks yet because I'm not sure they're the right ones.

This is what we are using to feed Buddy now. The tiny bottle is only used to mix/store his formula for 24 hours if feedings. We haven't given him the blocks yet because I'm not sure they're the right ones.
    See above posts, I think we're typing around the same time...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Yes, the oxbow rat blocks are fine also. They aren't tasty and sometimes are hard to get them to eat them. If you're having trouble, check out henry's blocks, like suggested. They're super tasty.

Sorry for just now replying. I think I will take these back and order from Henry's. Buddy's doing good, even though I'm scared to death to say that and jinx him. He's up to 94 grams and eating 6-8 cc a feeding. We have him in a tote my husband made, with holes drilled in the top and a fleece blanket. We have the heating pad under a fourth of his home. He's in our closet due to having cats and dogs. We can put him in our bedroom and tie the handles so he can look around and have light. Should we do that? Also, the 'rehabber' wasn't home when I went by so I messaged her and she ignored me until I got firm. She then said the babies were fine but refused to send a pic. So I told her I was in contact with a licensed rehabber and they wanted me to get the babies all back together. She responded with she gave them to another 'rehabber' and wasn't going to separate a bonded group. I asked for at least one baby back to put in with Buddy now that he's alone. She still refused and tried really hard to get me to bring her Buddy to add to the group. She said they were also on solid food now. I don't think she knows anything about what she's doing, and I'm not even sure they're still alive based on her refusing to send pics and excuses. What should I do about that? I feel horrible that I trusted this stranger with those babies.

Update: we gave Buddy the squirrel blocks and they were a hit...yay! He was hiding them then hiding and munching on them. I do have a concern about the plastic syringes. He chews on the tip while feeding and I'm worried he will break off tiny pieces of plastic and injest some. Is there a specific one we should get to prevent this?

bucky_webb Guest

I have a little one that appears about the same age/size as Doug's. Drinking pedialyte and Esbilac without issues. The best food I could find locally was Kaytee Forti Diet Pro Health Small Animal Food for Mice and Rats. Will this be okay to offer while weaning? Also, could someone explain the weaning process(or point me in the direction of a post that explains it)?

Update: we gave Buddy the squirrel blocks and they were a hit...yay! He was hiding them then hiding and munching on them. I do have a concern about the plastic syringes. He chews on the tip while feeding and I'm worried he will break off tiny pieces of plastic and injest some. Is there a specific one we should get to prevent this?
    Have you tried a nipple?
    I would suggest the regular size miracle nipple.

https://www.henryspets.com/miracle-nipple/

Quote Originally Posted by bucky_webb View Post
    I have a little one that appears about the same age/size as Doug's. Drinking pedialyte and Esbilac without issues. The best food I could find locally was Kaytee Forti Diet Pro Health Small Animal Food for Mice and Rats. Will this be okay to offer while weaning? Also, could someone explain the weaning process(or point me in the direction of a post that explains it)?
    bucky scroll back and look at the recommended rodent blocks, this is not one of them.
    Please start your own forum for questions weaning/explanation, concerns, etc.
    This is Doug's Buddy's forum.

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

He's up to 115 grams and eating 12-15 cc 3 times a day plus his squirrel blocks! 💙

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DougsBuddy from:

stepnstone (09-18-2018)

Update: Buddy is doing great! He's up to 15 cc per feeding and weighs 158 grams 😁 so happy he's thriving!

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DougsBuddy from:

dr3am (09-25-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast