Thread: Bad Scratches: How to file nails?

Default Bad Scratches: How to file nails?

My legs look like a horror movie from my little guys nails. He's too active to hold down and trim them without risking hurting him or getting bit. Any suggestions? Is there something besides branches I should add to his cage that will help file down the razor tips? I wear a light jacket to protect my upper body, but dang that's hot enough to make me cringe thinking I need to wear pants as well. My shop is air conditioned but with the work we do the dryers still keep it in the upper 70s no matter where the thermostat is set.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Bad Scratches: How to file nails?

I'm sorry I've been gone from the group for a while. I see you're in Florida. If you're close to me I'd be glad to come help ya.

Some will nip the nails on opposite sides of the body. Even if you nip them they are still sharp. If you cut them too short the squirrel will fall and risk injury.

For my hands I use fingerless gloves.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Women-Warme...5Pwi5s6GaWKnYw

I'm not sure the age of your baby but frankly I would not allow him/her out of the bin or cage at work. If you can't wear long pants I'm afraid scratches are part of being a squirrel parent. I have much more problem with my hands than my legs. I don't let them on the floor to climb my legs. I don't want to risk stepping on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Delo729 View Post
    I'm sorry I've been gone from the group for a while. I see you're in Florida. If you're close to me I'd be glad to come help ya.
    I’m in Seffner, just the other side of Tampa so pretty close indeed. =)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Some will nip the nails on opposite sides of the body. Even if you nip them they are still sharp. If you cut them too short the squirrel will fall and risk injury.

For my hands I use fingerless gloves.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Women-Warme...5Pwi5s6GaWKnYw

I'm not sure the age of your baby but frankly I would not allow him/her out of the bin or cage at work. If you can't wear long pants I'm afraid scratches are part of being a squirrel parent. I have much more problem with my hands than my legs. I don't let them on the floor to climb my legs. I don't want to risk stepping on them.
    I have had him since August 3rd and I believe he was about five weeks old when brought to me. So 10 weeks or so. He’s completely weaned and very active. That being said he can’t remain caged while I work. It’s busy season and 12hrs are short days.

I only have a cage at home. He’s my first squirrel baby so I had nothing when I got him. I do have a huge cat tree at work I brought over for him. I agree about the floor but it’s not like I can keep him off it lol. We just watch where we walk. He doesn’t walk the floor excessively, just to follow me usually or get between places he can’t jump. I own a small business and the girls that work here adore him like I do.

As I type we are sitting on the screen porch in hopes he’ll get more comfortable outdoors. My shop is next door and when we walk between he gets scared and will sit on my shoulder and chatter his teeth. This is the second time today and he’s already doing better. And I’m sitting out here in a jacket and now Capri pants. That’ll give my thighs a break at least 😂.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Sottinger View Post
    I’m in Seffner, just the other side of Tampa so pretty close indeed. =)
    I'm in Lithia

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I'm in Lithia
    You wouldn't happen to be a permitted rehabber would you? I'm looking to volunteer with one to get my own permit eventually. My Papa raised squirrels my whole life growing up but Nibbles is my first. Is there a vet in the area you recommend should I ever need one? He's a healthy booger so I don't think it likely with him but I've already had a woman try and bring me two more that I had to turn away due to the young age. With work as is right now I couldn't commit to nearly pinkies.