Thread: Squirrels and Rabbits : Friends or Foe?

ZuZuGirl13 Guest

Default Squirrels and Rabbits : Friends or Foe?

My bf and I were talking about me getting a small rabbit as a friend for my female Grey. Do they do well? I'd get a young female Rabbit. They'd both have their own cage, but could play with each other during the day when I let them out.

Any suggestions and info welcome, and much thanks in advance

ZuZu's mama

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

Default Re: Squirrels and Rabbits : Friends or Foe?

It works well for some people and not so well for others. I tried putting some baby squirrels with baby cottontails in an outside cage, and one of the squirrels was really curious (she meant no harm) and came down and pounced on the bunny and ripped his skin and then scratched the little cottontails head up really bad, bunny had a big flap of skin missing. I didn't actually see the head wound being inflicted, but I know it was the squirrel because I put the bunnies in a carrier in the cage after the incident and the squirrel kept climbing on top of the carrier and peeking inside.

A full grown squirrel will probably be less curious or will figure out what the bunny is quickly and may be alright. definetely supervise closely.

Main issue is will they actually enjoy eachother's company. I know a rehabber who has a domestic rabbit for cecotropes and keeps him in the squirrel cage inside and the bunny likes to snuggle with the baby squirrels (I think the squirrels move out at 11-12 weeks old so these are baby babies and still like to snuggle, not playing quite so much), but if you have an adult squirrel he will be more into playing than snuggling. Bunnies don't play like squirrels and may feel threatened with an animal pouncing on them (usually that would mean they are about to be dinner!). The bunnies usually play by running around together and doing little hop spins, the squirrel would probably view that as chase and go after the bunny and jump on him/her. Also, bunnies are more solitary animals and would prefer to be alone (with lots of visits from their owner).

I think it could work out to where they could share a cage, but I don't think it is the best plan for a friend for the squirrel.
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

ZuZuGirl13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
    It works well for some people and not so well for others. I tried putting some baby squirrels with baby cottontails in an outside cage, and one of the squirrels was really curious (she meant no harm) and came down and pounced on the bunny and ripped his skin and then scratched the little cottontails head up really bad, bunny had a big flap of skin missing. I didn't actually see the head wound being inflicted, but I know it was the squirrel because I put the bunnies in a carrier in the cage after the incident and the squirrel kept climbing on top of the carrier and peeking inside.

A full grown squirrel will probably be less curious or will figure out what the bunny is quickly and may be alright. definetely supervise closely.

Main issue is will they actually enjoy eachother's company. I know a rehabber who has a domestic rabbit for cecotropes and keeps him in the squirrel cage inside and the bunny likes to snuggle with the baby squirrels (I think the squirrels move out at 11-12 weeks old so these are baby babies and still like to snuggle, not playing quite so much), but if you have an adult squirrel he will be more into playing than snuggling. Bunnies don't play like squirrels and may feel threatened with an animal pouncing on them (usually that would mean they are about to be dinner!). The bunnies usually play by running around together and doing little hop spins, the squirrel would probably view that as chase and go after the bunny and jump on him/her. Also, bunnies are more solitary animals and would prefer to be alone (with lots of visits from their owner).

I think it could work out to where they could share a cage, but I don't think it is the best plan for a friend for the squirrel.
    Any suggestions for a better animal buddy to get her? mama can't play with her 24/7 like she'd like. lol I thought maybe a bunny would help her calm down a bit, but I don't want her to scare the poor thing and make it think it's going to be dinner! She's really playful, and is a total hop and pouncer.

Love your Sig pic, by the way. Too cute!

Been wondering the same thing.
    Almost everything in this post is misspelled

JAQUELINE (RELEASED) AND TALULA (RELEASED)

ZuZuGirl13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crazysquirrels
    Been wondering the same thing.
    I was thinking maybe a ferret, since I have a ferret cage...but they'd probably inspire insane amounts of mischief in each other and drive me mad. She's already mischievous enough. I need a calming agent!

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelsrule&bunniestoo View Post

Hi are you still active? I need help with a baby and you seem close

Quote Originally Posted by ZuZuGirl13 View Post
    I was thinking maybe a ferret, since I have a ferret cage...but they'd probably inspire insane amounts of mischief in each other and drive me mad. She's already mischievous enough. I need a calming agent!
    Ferrets are adorable, smart little KILLERS. They are predators and if you introduce one to your squirrel she will likely get attacked and killed. Predators should NEVER be introduced to prey animals.

How old is she? It doesn't take them too long to learn about the joy and wonder of NAPS in nice cozy fleece!

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (07-30-2021), Diggie's Friend (07-29-2021), Rock Monkey (07-29-2021), TubeDriver (07-29-2021)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.