Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Rocky

Default Little Rocky

My boyfriend found Rocky 2 days ago at work while hanging gutters. His brother was dead next to him. We did Pedialyte for the first few feedings and he is now eating formula. He is only taking about .5-1.5cc a feeding which I am doing every 3 hours. My biggest concern is his breathing. I do not hear any clicks or popping when he breathes is just seems labored to me. He weighted 54 grams when my boyfriend found him. I’m guessing by his development he is about 3-4 weeks old. His eyes are still closed but he has little bottom teeth I can see.

Default Re: Little Rocky

At 54 grams, he should be averaging 2.5 ml per feeding. ( His body weight in grams divided by 20)
    .5 to 1.5 is way too low and should be a major concern.

Primary causes of eating less are:
    - too hot/too cold, (his body should feel warm like toast when you pick him up. he should have a heating pad under half a plastic tub (not cardboard) and adjust the layers of blankets so he is warm)
    - dehydration (you can check this by pinching the skin on his back behind the head and letting go. hydrated skin will spread back out quickly, dehydrated stays pinched. if dehydrated give a little warm water between feedings)
    - incorrect formula (he should be eating Esbilac powdered puppy formula, mixed 1 part powder to 2 parts water)
    - formula temperature (it should feel almost too hot to a finger tip, but warm when squirted on the wrist)
    - illness.

If he is eating too little formula, he is also getting too little in fluids, which could cause dehydration.

Also, you should be stimulating his private parts after every feeding with a tissue. cloth, or finger to get him to pee and poop.
    If he is not stimulated he could rupture a bladder or get sepsis.

Pictures of him laying on his stomach, back, and side is good for diagnosing.

Hard to diagnose breathing problems without seeing a video, but you could count how many times he is breathing per minute, and is his mouth open when breathing?

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    At 54 grams, he should be averaging 2.5 ml per feeding. ( His body weight in grams divided by 20)
    .5 to 1.5 is way too low and should be a major concern.

Primary causes of eating less are:
    - too hot/too cold, (his body should feel warm like toast when you pick him up. he should have a heating pad under half a plastic tub (not cardboard) and adjust the layers of blankets so he is warm)
    - dehydration (you can check this by pinching the skin on his back behind the head and letting go. hydrated skin will spread back out quickly, dehydrated stays pinched. if dehydrated give a little warm water between feedings)
    - incorrect formula (he should be eating Esbilac powdered puppy formula, mixed 1 part powder to 2 parts water)
    - formula temperature (it should feel almost too hot to a finger tip, but warm when squirted on the wrist)
    - illness.

If he is eating too little formula, he is also getting too little in fluids, which could cause dehydration.

Also, you should be stimulating his private parts after every feeding with a tissue. cloth, or finger to get him to pee and poop.
    If he is not stimulated he could rupture a bladder or get sepsis.

Hard to diagnose breathing problems without seeing a video, but you could count how many times he is breathing per minute, and is his mouth open when breathing?
    The formula and mixing is exactly as you just stated. I stimulate him after each feeding and he pees like crazy and will poop about every other feeding. I have the heating pad under 1/2 of his tub and the bottom is cover with a fleece blanket. His mouth is not open when he is breathing. I will try to count his breathes per minute. What should it be at? His skin will stay pinch for a second or 2 and then spread back out. He is a wiggly little guy when he is eating and tries to climb/crawl up my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    At 54 grams, he should be averaging 2.5 ml per feeding....

Dehydration is certainly a concern if he was only getting 0.5ml - 1.5ml per feeding.

Pictures are always, always helpful...

What type of formula are you feeding... we need to make certain he is getting the nutrition he needs to grow strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Dehydration is certainly a concern if he was only getting 0.5ml - 1.5ml per feeding.

Pictures are always, always helpful...

What type of formula are you feeding... we need to make certain he is getting the nutrition he needs to grow strong.
    I have been trying to upload pictures and my phone is being a little weird and won’t upload them. I am giving him Esbilc. I gave him some warm water like the last person suggested and he seemed to really like that. I went slow so that he did not aspirate. I stimulated him afterwards and he went pee.

I will send you a PM with an email address if you would like me to upload the pics for you.

You are feeding the powdered Esbilac and not the liquid / premixed Esbilac, correct?

The hydration will help but soon he will need formula (nutrition) in the right amounts (2.5ml or more per feeding).

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I will send you a PM with an email address if you would like me to upload the pics for you.

You are feeding the powdered Esbilac and not the liquid / premixed Esbilac, correct?

The hydration will help but soon he will need formula (nutrition) in the right amounts (2.5ml or more per feeding).
    Yes I am using the powder. Last night we were a worried. This morning was like a night and day difference. He did 2.5 cc of formula and has pellet like poops and peed.

Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 136
Size:  138.0 KB
    Name:  image2.jpeg
Views: 138
Size:  183.7 KB
    Name:  image3.jpeg
Views: 139
Size:  126.7 KB

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Nancy in New York (08-31-2019), Shanaboohead (08-31-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Shanaboohead View Post
    Yes I am using the powder. Last night we were a worried. This morning was like a night and day difference. He did 2.5 cc of formula and has pellet like poops and peed.
    Just to make sure as many people get these two confused.
    The formula photo below is the one you're using, correct?
    Your little one is just PRECIOUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Just to make sure as many people get these two confused.
    The formula photo below is the one you're using, correct?
    Your little one is just PRECIOUS!

Yes that is what I am using. He really is such a sweetie.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shanaboohead from:

Nancy in New York (08-31-2019)

I'm not sure if you got this link yet, but
    it's an excellent SHORT concise
    read about Baby Squirrel Care.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button at the
    top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-caring-...baby-squirrel/

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

stepnstone (09-01-2019)

I'm not sure if you got this link yet, but
    it's an excellent SHORT concise
    read about Baby Squirrel Care.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button at the
    top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-caring-...baby-squirrel/
    I have been referring it daily’s. I just received my squirrel care kit from them

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shanaboohead from:

Nancy in New York (09-01-2019)

Just wanted to give you guys an update on little rocky. He has lost some weight from not eating but the last 2 days he has started eating like a champ. 2.5 cc each feeding. He takes a while to eat. About an hour. He goes slow and needs breaks because he gets tried but he is doing good. He has a lot of energy and has started trying to clean himself.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shanaboohead from:

Nancy in New York (09-02-2019)

Just wanted to give you guys an update on little rocky. He has lost some weight from not eating but the last 2 days he has started eating like a champ. 2.5 cc each feeding. He takes a while to eat. About an hour. He goes slow and needs breaks because he gets tried but he is doing good. He has a lot of energy and has started trying to clean himself.
    I'm thrilled to be reading this!
    Just an idea. Some little squirrels will stop
    eating if they have to pee or poop.
    You may want to try stimulating them if
    they stop.

I'm thrilled to be reading this!
    Just an idea. Some little squirrels will stop
    eating if they have to pee or poop.
    You may want to try stimulating them if
    they stop.
    I have been stimulating him before feedings and in the middle and at the end. I find he eats much better when he gets stimulated at those times. He really is doing so much better.

Rocky was going great. Eating and voiding like he should. Started to become more active. The last day and a half he has refused eating completely and has not pooped and is only peeing a small amount. Any suggestions?

Rocky was going great. Eating and voiding like he should. Started to become more active. The last day and a half he has refused eating completely and has not pooped and is only peeing a small amount. Any suggestions?
    A day and a half is a loooong time to go without eating. Hearing this concerns me. Would you like to get Rocky placed with a TSB approved rehabilitator? If not what help do you need? We are here for you.

Is there any chance that Rocky has clicking? Why do you think he has not eaten for that time period. I would start giving rehydration formula. He sounds like he is very dehydrated.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

He certainly is a cutie pie. What is his weight today? It is really very easy to fall in love with them.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    A day and a half is a loooong time to go without eating. Hearing this concerns me. Would you like to get Rocky placed with a TSB approved rehabilitator? If not what help do you need? We are here for you.

Is there any chance that Rocky has clicking? Why do you think he has not eaten for that time period. I would start giving rehydration formula. He sounds like he is very dehydrated.
    Redwuff, isn't it true that if they get dehydrated they will stop eating?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

Absolutely!
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast