Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not eating

Default Re: Not eating

Quote Originally Posted by Uribity View Post
    It's lower on her leg, just below her knee.
    This is the best picture I could get. You know how these squirrels are so squirrelly, it's difficult to get them to sit still for a picture. You can also kinda see how her lower abdomen is bloated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Continue giving the cranberry juice to support the acidification of her urine, as it appears it is working to address a possible UTI, and/or bladder crystals urothiasis.

This article relates how paralysis was caused by a urinary tract infection in a rat, that your girl is chewing on her leg is indicative of some loss of feeling, would point towards the cause being a UTI.With lower urinary tract infections (urethritis) , and infection of the urethra it can be addressed with meds and diet alone. Keep an eye out on the urine color to see if there is any tinge of blood. Read through these pages as it will support your better understanding of this issue.

http://ratguide.com/health/urinary_r...ions_lower.php

http://ratguide.com/health/figures/u...s_figure_1.php

See over the counter treatment noted for a children's syrup.

The irritation in the groin area also indicative of bladder stones. Bladder worms may be concurrent with this condition.

The rat may have and urgency to urinate, to lick at genitals, or to nip at self due to pain. Little if any urine may be passed and drops of blood may be seen due to the stones abrasive action when the urine is attempting to pass out through the urethra.
    http://ratguide.com/health/urinary_r...olithiasis.php

In order to determine if there are stones a vet would need to examine your squirrel, and also do an x ray. Not sure if you would be allowed to hold her or if you could; I held my fox squirrels years ago for an x-ray while awake. If you hold your hand over the back top of her head and shoulders as to gently but firmly pin her to the table with a small towel over her head as to block her view of what is going on, it can be done without anesthesia, since the x ray only takes a moment to do. Petting and comforting a squirrel with your free hand and voice just prior to the moment of the x-ray helps to keep your squirrels mind off the goings on.

I would encourage you to continue to pursue finding a vet that would be willing to treat, yet not confiscate your squirrel.

In the meantime I hope the other members will chime in in regards to meds noted on these pages to address one ore more possible issues.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (01-30-2019), Uribity (01-30-2019)

The webpages (reposted below) from the ratguide that Diggie's friend posted contains lots of good information.

http://ratguide.com/health/urinary_r...ions_lower.php

http://ratguide.com/health/figures/u...s_figure_1.php

http://ratguide.com/health/urinary_r...olithiasis.php

I would continue to hydrate, give cranberry juice and see how the clavamox works.

The ratguide suggests Ivermectin for parasites but if she has been inside for 3.5 years it is hard to see how she got these so I would hold off administering this for now.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Mel1959 (01-31-2019), Uribity (01-31-2019)

She took her antibiotics this morning. She's refusing the cranberry juice now. I don't understand why, she was loving it yesterday and the day before. I even put honey at the tip of the syringe and she is refusing to take it.

The wound on her leg is much worse this morning and now she has a second wound at the base of her tail. How do I prevent her from eating herself alive?

She just went to her corner and peed as I was typing this, it was enough that I could actually hear it.

You could construct a neck cone; includes thin stiff cardboard and thin plastic like you find in in the packaging of new shirt collars.

Here is a tutorial with a pattern and instructions on how to construct an E Collar:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ng-an-E-Collar

Info on wrapping legs and treating wounds:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...66#post1274466

In addition, you may want to consider adding CBD oil to her diet.

See thread by Muggsy'sgrma for details

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (01-31-2019), Uribity (01-31-2019)

Do you happen to have gabapentin on hand; it is a medication for nerves, it works very well.

Let us know, TubeDriver can give you the dosage.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (01-31-2019), Uribity (01-31-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Do you happen to have gabapentin on hand; it is a medication for nerves, it works very well.

Let us know, TubeDriver can give you the dosage.
    No, nothing for nerves. I have Cyclobenzaprine for muscle spasms.

I let her out of her cage to run around and get exercise and was going to see if she would let me hold her to give her the cranberry juice. She attacked me three times for just being in the room, I didn't even attempt to pick her up or hold her yet. Just three weeks ago she was my little cuddle bug but now she's viciously attacking me. I'm sure she's in pain and uncomfortable and that isn't helping her mood any. Past winter's I would have just left her alone and let her get over herself, but I'm trying so hard to help her and her little attitude is making it so much more difficult. I feel lost.

Usually an animal chews themself like this with pain, most often nerve pain. As she had any falls or has seemed unusually sore in the way she moves? I am hoping that you can get her seen by a vet soon. This is not a normal UTI.

Does she tend to get in attack mode in past winters? Please keep yourself safe. As you know, attacks by squirrels can be very victorious.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Diggie's Friend (01-31-2019), GoldenEyes (01-31-2019), Uribity (01-31-2019)

Cyclobenzaprine is used off label for nerve pain like fibromyalgia. So it might be a decent substitute for gabapentin? Hold on for a bit... need to do some research to see if it is safe for squirrels.

(Edit) Cyclobenzaprine (flexeril) is toxic to dogs, not listed in Plumbs Vet Drug Manual nor is it listed in the Rat Med guide so I would NOT use this on a squirrel. It is very hard on the liver and may well harm the squirrel.

No, nothing for nerves. I have Cyclobenzaprine for muscle spasms.

I let her out of her cage to run around and get exercise and was going to see if she would let me hold her to give her the cranberry juice. She attacked me three times for just being in the room, I didn't even attempt to pick her up or hold her yet. Just three weeks ago she was my little cuddle bug but now she's viciously attacking me. I'm sure she's in pain and uncomfortable and that isn't helping her mood any. Past winter's I would have just left her alone and let her get over herself, but I'm trying so hard to help her and her little attitude is making it so much more difficult. I feel lost.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Diggie's Friend (01-31-2019), GoldenEyes (01-31-2019), Uribity (01-31-2019)

DO NOT USE Cyclobenzaprine on your squirrel. Do not use this medication on any pet!!!

-Grateful Dead

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Diggie's Friend (01-31-2019), Uribity (01-31-2019)

She is refusing food because antibiotics dampen appetite, and also likely because she is allot of pain, which is why she bit you.

Talking to her with the level of pain she is in isn't going to much help to calm her down, she needs a pain med.

Be sure to use protective gloves to handle her, and cover your body with heavier clothing, like sweatshirts with a hoodie, to prevent damage from bites.

Bach Flowers called Rescue Remedy helps to support calm; get the spray, as you don't have to touch her or to spray it on her.

http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-information/

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Uribity (01-31-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Usually an animal chews themself like this with pain, most often nerve pain. As she had any falls or has seemed unusually sore in the way she moves? I am hoping that you can get her seen by a vet soon. This is not a normal UTI.

Does she tend to get in attack mode in past winters? Please keep yourself safe. As you know, attacks by squirrels can be very victorious.
    I meant squirrel attacks can be very vicious....
    redwuff
    State Licensed

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

I'll send PM for dosing Infant Ibuprophen. She really needs a vet but the motrin might help reduce the self mutilation in the meantime.

-Grateful Dead

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    DO NOT USE Cyclobenzaprine on your squirrel. Do not use this medication on any pet!!!
    I would never use any medication, even children's Tylenol, without a rehaber's or vet's approval.

I know things like chocolate is delicious to me, but toxic to dogs, so I always make sure anything I give her is approved first.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Uribity from:

redwuff (01-31-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    I meant squirrel attacks can be very vicious....
    I'm aware. She was VICTORIOUS two years ago.

She gets like this every winter.

It's -20° outside so I put on the same clothes I was intending to go outside in. So I had enough protection on that her attacks didn't hurt me.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Uribity from:

redwuff (01-31-2019)

She has a vet appointment for 9:00am tomorrow morning. Thanks to Mel1959 for finding me one!

29. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Uribity:

Diggie's Friend (01-31-2019), island rehabber (01-31-2019), Mel1959 (01-31-2019), redwuff (01-31-2019), TubeDriver (01-31-2019)

Dec-Jan-Feb females Fox squirrels are in season. During their heats they can be prone to developing UTI.

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Uribity (01-31-2019)

She has a vet appointment for 9:00am tomorrow morning. Thanks to Mel1959 for finding me one!
    Please let us know how the vet appt goes. Thank you for taking such good care of your sweet girl.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

33. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

I see Goldeneyes posted a link of a CVS recall of, "Infant Ibuprofen".

Not sure what batch it is, I would check if you have a bottle to make sure it doesn't have a number of the batches that have been recalled.

https://www.wibc.com/news/local-news...ecall-extended

Infant Ibuprofen is commonly recommended on the board, working well to address pain.

35. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Uribity (01-31-2019)

Hi Uribity,
    Since you have a vet appointment tomorrow morning, you may want to hold off starting Ibuprophen until you see the vet. The vet should be able to give you metacam or gabapentin (better than ibuprophen). There has been some recall for infant ibuprophen, apparently the drug can be stronger than it should be. The dose I sent you is middle of the road in terms of strength so I am not too worried (you could give twice what I dosed and still be perfectly safe) but your vet should be able to get you better meds!

-Grateful Dead

37. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast