Thread: chronic sinus discharge in gray squirrel

Default chronic sinus discharge in gray squirrel

I have an adult gray squirrel recovering from old head injury (lost one eye) who continues to have chronic sinus discharge and snorting. On our third round of clavamox. Have treated ears for mites, but she still worries this area. She improves, but then relapses. Looking for alternative treatments or antibiotic recommendations that may work better for sinus infections.

Default Re: chronic sinus discharge in gray squirrel

Do you have access to a squirrel safe vet? Would you be willing to go to a vet if a safe one was found?

In the meantime, is the discharge clear? Or green/yellow? Are you using a laundry detergent with scent for any bedding that could be bothering her?

Do you have access to Ciproflaxin (human) or Baytril (animal)? Call family and friends to see what other antibiotics you can find. You might need to use both Clavamox and Baytril to combat the infection.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoof View Post
    I have an adult gray squirrel recovering from old head injury (lost one eye) who continues to have chronic sinus discharge and snorting. On our third round of clavamox. Have treated ears for mites, but she still worries this area. She improves, but then relapses. Looking for alternative treatments or antibiotic recommendations that may work better for sinus infections.

I've notified a member that has dealt with repeated sinus infections, clavamox is one of the ab's recomended along with a ab nose drop he will get back to us on.
    In the meantime considering a head injury, I have to ask about her teeth condition. Has she ever been x-rayed to rule out odontoma?
    An odontoma will respond to clavamox for a period but does not "cure" the condition that also can effect sinus, ears and eyes.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

She has been to vet twice who is safe vet but is 80 miles away. Too cold to take her out just now but scheduling again for first part of next week for third visit. Not had any xrays as jaw and teeth checked out OK. She eats well. If an xray shows Odontoma, is there a treatment? Discharge is clear with brownish yellow cast when dried. I clean her nose first thing in AM for the discharge. I have access to Baytril, but since stool is solid and bowel healthy, fear too many drugs may upset biofloras. How long of a term for the drugs may be needed?

She has been to vet twice who is safe vet but is 80 miles away. Too cold to take her out just now but scheduling again for first part of next week for third visit. Not had any xrays as jaw and teeth checked out OK. She eats well. If an xray shows Odontoma, is there a treatment? Discharge is clear with brownish yellow cast when dried. I clean her nose first thing in AM for the discharge. I have access to Baytril, but since stool is solid and bowel healthy, fear too many drugs may upset biofloras. How long of a term for the drugs may be needed?

Member is going to check once home for name of nose drop. He did say at one point one girl was put on both clavamox and baytril for sinus infection but a culture was done to determine what vet was dealing with.
    Odontoma can only be properly detected through xray and even then a veterinarian has to be familiar as to what to look for, some are not. Odontoma depending on it's stage is treated by surgery if one opts to go that route. Surgery for odontoma is very invasive.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Nancy in New York (01-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

Member is going to check once home for name of nose drop. He did say at one point one girl was put on both clavamox and baytril for sinus infection but a culture was done to determine what vet was dealing with.
    Odontoma can only be properly detected through xray and even then a veterinarian has to be familiar as to what to look for, some are not. Odontoma depending on it's stage is treated by surgery if one opts to go that route. Surgery for odontoma is very invasive.
    Thank you - I will wait for member to respond about the nose drops. Hoping not the odontoma mentioned. Looked up treatment (surgery) and does not look promising. Any vets in Iowa City, IA or surrounding 60 mile area you can recommend who are wildlife friendly and knowledgeable would be helpful?

Thank you - I will wait for member to respond about the nose drops. Hoping not the odontoma mentioned. Looked up treatment (surgery) and does not look promising. Any vets in Iowa City, IA or surrounding 60 mile area you can recommend who are wildlife friendly and knowledgeable would be helpful?
    Member wishes to remain anonymous for security reasons...
    Odontoma is an infection in itself, this is what has been causing the sinus infection(s) with his baby. Each time one has developed it has been cultured to learn what type infection the vet was dealing with and what med drops would work best for that particular bacteria /infection. I'm listing three that have been used with the last one being the latest.
    Ofloxacin
    Amikacin
    Vetericyn

Name:  2019013095201643.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  29.0 KB

Name:  thumbnail_2019013095201701.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  17.0 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Member wishes to remain anonymous for security reasons...
    Odontoma is an infection in itself, this is what has been causing the sinus infection(s) with his baby. Each time one has developed it has been cultured to learn what type infection the vet was dealing with and what med drops would work best for that particular bacteria /infection. I'm listing three that have been used with the last one being the latest.
    Ofloxacin
    Amikacin
    Vetericyn

Name:  2019013095201643.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  29.0 KB

Name:  thumbnail_2019013095201701.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  17.0 KB
    Can you tell me what the length of treatment was for each med? I will get her in to vet again and request a culture. Did you have xrays done, too? Is this usually a chronic condition which requires vigilance and long term TLC? She still has slight head tilt from her run-in with a car but is now eating on her own. Thank you so much - this helps a lot as I was unfamiliar with this type of nfection.

Can you tell me what the length of treatment was for each med? I will get her in to vet again and request a culture. Did you have xrays done, too? Is this usually a chronic condition which requires vigilance and long term TLC? She still has slight head tilt from her run-in with a car but is now eating on her own. Thank you so much - this helps a lot as I was unfamiliar with this type of nfection.
    I'm uncertain the length of time, I will need to ask.
    Odontoma is a tumor that grows at the root base of the tooth, it creates an abscess, infection travels. One can treat the infection but the tumor is still there. It will continue to grow, infection will continue to reappear. It is very painful to the squirrel, untreated it will eventually take them out. One is generally left with only two options, surgery or euthanasia. Even with the surgery which is quite invasive, some do very well, some do not and continue to fail.
    Yes, it is a chronic condition that requires vigilance and long term TLC even after surgery.

I would definitely recommend xrays not only to check the condition of her teeth but her whole head structure, sinus, etc. Being a head trauma car hit with having to lose an eye she obviously took a hard hit, she could possibly (just) have a sliver of bone or cartilage causing the irritation resulting in infection. A culture of the discharge is definitely necessary to determine type of infection so it can be treated with the right ab for it's type.

How long ago was her "accident?" Was she ever treated with Prednisone?
    Last edited by stepnstone; 01-31-2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: sp
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (01-31-2019)

I'm uncertain the length of time, I will need to ask.
    Odontoma is a tumor that grows at the root base of the tooth, it creates an abscess, infection travels. One can treat the infection but the tumor is still there. It will continue to grow, infection will continue to reappear. It is very painful to the squirrel, untreated it will eventually take them out. One is generally left with only two options, surgery or euthanasia. Even with the surgery witch is quite invasive, some do very well, some do not and continue to fail.
    Yes, it is a chronic condition that requires vigilance and long term TLC even after surgery.

I would definitely recommend xrays not only to check the condition of her teeth but her whole head structure, sinus, etc. Being a head trauma car hit with having to lose an eye she obviously took a hard hit, she could possibly (just) have a sliver of bone or cartilage causing the irritation resulting in infection. A culture of the discharge is definitely necessary to determine type of infection so it can be treated with the right ab for it's type.

How long ago was her "accident?" Was she ever treated with Prednisone?
    Tickle (female squirrel) came in last April and went in to vet for head injury. She was treated initially with Metacam, opthamalic ointment and oral antibiotic. She stabilized and was eating and doing well with the exception of losing the sight in her eye until August when she started sneezing and lost appetite. Vet treated with Vitamin B injection and 5-7 day ab injection. Her sniffle came back in November and we did Clavamox for longer term. Now again on Clavamox, but not responding to treatment as well as she did in the past. She has not been treated with Prednisone. I will request xray in addition to a culture for her when we go in and mention the possibility of odontoma. Anything else I should look for? Really appreciate your recommendations. Thank you.

Tickle (female squirrel) came in last April and went in to vet for head injury. She was treated initially with Metacam, opthamalic ointment and oral antibiotic. She stabilized and was eating and doing well with the exception of losing the sight in her eye until August when she started sneezing and lost appetite. Vet treated with Vitamin B injection and 5-7 day ab injection. Her sniffle came back in November and we did Clavamox for longer term. Now again on Clavamox, but not responding to treatment as well as she did in the past. She has not been treated with Prednisone. I will request xray in addition to a culture for her when we go in and mention the possibility of odontoma. Anything else I should look for? Really appreciate your recommendations. Thank you.

Prednisone does really well at the initial time of accident with head trauma and paralysis.
    We've had some where the head tilt corrected or was really minimized and some with initial paralysis that regained use of their legs.

I would definitely go for xrays to see if or rule out odontoma, also to look at the sinus cavity to see if there is an obstruction.
    Getting a culture will certinally diagnose the type of infection to allow for a better treatment plan.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Prednisone does really well at the initial time of accident with head trauma and paralysis.
    We've had some where the head tilt corrected or was really minimized and some with initial paralysis that regained use of their legs.

I would definitely go for xrays to see if or rule out odontoma, also to look at the sinus cavity to see if there is an obstruction.
    Getting a culture will certinally diagnose the type of infection to allow for a better treatment plan.
    Thank you so much for all of the helpful recommendations. These leads will be very helpful in moving forward with Tickle's treatment plan. Will keep the prednisone tip for next head trauma case.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Hoof:

Mel1959 (01-31-2019), stepnstone (01-31-2019)