Thread: Jenny aspirated! What antibiotics to get and where?

Default Jenny aspirated! What antibiotics to get and where?

My 8 week old squirrel just aspirated. I sucked her nose like I read one person did on her to help get the formula out, but now I need to get antibiotics to have on hand. I'm visiting my grandpa right now, so don't have access to my vet and the vet here is a jerk that would rather kill a squirrel than help it. Is there any way I can order antibiotics from somewhere? And should I start her on them as soon as I get them? Or wait until she shows symptoms?

Default Re: Jenny aspirated! What antibiotics to get and where?

The formula coming out her nose doesn't mean for sure that she will get pneumonia. It is wise to have the antibiotics on hand. You need one pill of Ciproflaxin (human) or Baytril (vet) or Augmentin (human) or Clavamox (vet).

No need to treat till Rose has some type of symptom like lethargic, not eating or clicking.

If and when the time comes we will need a weight on Rose and the strength of the medicine you found.

If you can't find the medicine from friends or family, it can be ordered online at Joe's Meds.

3. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (04-20-2017), Covel3 (04-20-2017), Grinderhead (04-20-2017), island rehabber (04-20-2017), redwuff (04-20-2017), stepnstone (04-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    The formula coming out her nose doesn't mean for sure that she will get pneumonia. It is wise to have the antibiotics on hand. You need one pill of Ciproflaxin (human) or Baytril (vet) or Augmentin (human) or Clavamox (vet).

No need to treat till Rose has some type of symptom like lethargic, not eating or clicking.

If and when the time comes we will need a weight on Rose and the strength of the medicine you found.

If you can't find the medicine from friends or family, it can be ordered online at Joe's Meds.
    I've checked with everyone I know who might have some and be willing to give it to me I didn't see it on joes meds. But I did find amoxicillin for fish and ordered that. I'm also looking for other vets in the area, but so far none have called back

Send me an IM and I'll send you an Augmentin tablet or two.

I got a bunch for a sinus infection I didn't end up using at all a couple of months ago.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Covel3 (04-20-2017), Mel1959 (04-20-2017), Nancy in New York (04-20-2017)

I did finally get ahold of a vet, but I think whet he prescribed is plain amoxicillin as well, I'll get the details when I pick it up later tonight and post a picture. It's an oral suspension so maybe easier to dose? But I'm not sure if its the right stuff.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Covel3:

Mel1959 (04-20-2017), Nancy in New York (04-20-2017)

Ok. Is is what it is. Name:  IMG_2915.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  84.1 KB he also said to start it right away? But he said he didn't know as much about squirrels as an exotics vet. It's sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim oral suspension 200-40 mg/5ml

I'm glad you got something super quickly!

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Covel3 (04-20-2017)

At the moment Jennie is still doing ok? Right? ok, monitor Jenny to see if she starts sleeping a lot, refusing food or clicking when she breathes. If you see any signs like that then repost in the Emergency section (where more eyes will see it) and have Jennies weight and the strength of the medicine so someone can dose it.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Covel3 (04-20-2017), redwuff (04-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    At the moment Jennie is still doing ok? Right? ok, monitor Jenny to see if she starts sleeping a lot, refusing food or clicking when she breathes. If you see any signs like that then repost in the Emergency section (where more eyes will see it) and have Jennies weight and the strength of the medicine so someone can dose it.
    Yes, as of now she is ok. Maybe sleeping a bit more than usual, but not sure. I went ahead and started her on the vets recommended dose for her weight of the stuff he gave me as it's slow acting and all I can get until the stuff cava may send me gets here, which may take a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Covel3 View Post
    Yes, as of now she is ok. Maybe sleeping a bit more than usual, but not sure. I went ahead and started her on the vets recommended dose for her weight of the stuff he gave me as it's slow acting and all I can get until the stuff cava may send me gets here, which may take a few days.

I'm only writing this here because you seemed to have gone off board, and I'm going to bed.
    You shared in a pm to me that the vet told you to give her 1 mL.
    every 12 hours.

I wrote back that was TOO much and not to dose.

I but wanted to share this on open board,
    since I won't be here.

The dose should be 0.1 for a 202 gram squirrel.

Did you mean that you gave her 0.1 mL or did you give her 1 mL?

Here is a photo of a syringe.
    Double check the amount you gave.

Is it the where the green arrow is? IF so that is the correct amount.

IF it's where the red arrow is start hydrating her and try to flush this out
    of her system. Make sure you stimulate her to pee, that will help if
    she's had an overdose.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Mel1959 (04-21-2017), stepnstone (04-21-2017)

For anyone reading.
    I heard from Covel3 and the dose she gave was 0.1
    It was just a typo in the pm!

18. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (04-21-2017), Covel3 (04-21-2017), Mel1959 (04-21-2017), stepnstone (04-21-2017)