Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Its time for a grey

Default Re: Its time for a grey

I sent you a pm with my contact info. I’ve been unable to access TSB for the last couple of days.

Try to provide him with some nutritious foods like baby kale, escarole, avocado (no skin or pit), fresh coconut chunks (no shell), papaya, blueberries, acorn or butternut squash. You can also offer chunks of granola bars that are fortified with calcium. Yogurt is also something that squirrels will sometimes eat.

There are other squirrel friendly vets between Tampa and Orlando. I will send you the names when I get home.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

McCarthy (01-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I sent you a pm with my contact info. I’ve been unable to access TSB for the last couple of days.

Try to provide him with some nutritious foods like baby kale, escarole, avocado (no skin or pit), fresh coconut chunks (no shell), papaya, blueberries, acorn or butternut squash. You can also offer chunks of granola bars that are fortified with calcium. Yogurt is also something that squirrels will sometimes eat.

There are other squirrel friendly vets between Tampa and Orlando. I will send you the names when I get home.

Thank you Mel, I just booked another appointment with the vet in Brandon. It's just one week out.

Well, Stinky goes from being half dead to walking around (not climbing or jumping) like nothing has happened

I'm in trouble. There's about a million yards of cables in my home office.

It was the very first time that he wanted to get out of the cage. So I'll let him roam for an hour. Assuming I'll be able to make him go back into the cage

Just glad he's active again and at least can walk.

Many times they’ll go back into their cage when it’s dark…or bed down somewhere else hidden. Also you might be able to lure him back into the cage by throwing a peanut inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Many times they’ll go back into their cage when it’s dark…or bed down somewhere else hidden. Also you might be able to lure him back into the cage by throwing a peanut inside.

I think I know what happened. I put some infant ibuprofen on a pecan and gave it to him in the morning but he kicked it to his stash. I guess he found it tonight and ate it.

Pain gone = feisty squirrel wants out, and stay out

We had a discussion involving my hand and his razor blades.

The pillow case won.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

Mel1959 (01-24-2023)

Day 5 update

He is back to being slow, in some form of pain, not walking much, not wanting out of the cage. He eats and that makes him either weak / tired right away, or it causes him discomfort. He just sits there with a droopy head for 10 minutes after eating, then starts cleaning himself and falls asleep.

That being said, I don't see any acute issues and the little wound on his leg is closed and not visible anymore.

So I will be waiting until his vet apportionment next week, and go from there. I'll give him a little infant ibuprofen in the afternoon so he can enjoy things and go into the night with less or no pain.

If the vet can manage his condition I will move my large cage into my enclosed and completely covered patio. He will have more room to roam and is somewhat back in the (Florida) elements. If he comes around completely I'll do a soft release in 2 steps, into my screened patio, and then my backyard. I live in a quiet community and we have a small handful of greys, but none around my house. His chances will be better in my backyard compared to the beach park. We don't have any raccoons here, no dogs off-leash, no stupid kids, no e-bikes running them over, only one old cat that I haven't seen in half a year.

An intermediate and permanent solution would be to turn my patio into a huge cage by replacing the screen with mesh.

Only real challenge right now is to get him somewhat off the nuts and eat more veggies etc.

Only avocado will be accepted at this point. When I hold a blackberry or any other fruit / veggie in my hand and move it under his nose, he sneezes the smell out of his nose after sniffing it, he literally shakes his head, pulls his head back, and gives me this "I'll bite your finger if you don't take this crap out of my face" look. All the fruit and veggies in the bowl gets blatantly ignored.

When I made dinner last night, I made fries, so I decided to see if he still remembers fries from the beach park. Every day folks bring fries to the park, and the squirrel gang will beg and usually get some. And if they don't get any, they just wait until the folks walk over to the beach, leaving their food on the park tables. The squirrels will be on the table and open any food container. They know how to open zippers, how to remove the lid from Tupperware, and if they can't open the food container, they will chew a hole in it within a minute or 2.

When the beach goers come back and see the squirrels owning their food on the table, the smartphones come of for some photos, followed and laughter. Only very few folks try to scare the squirrels away, and that doesn't work. They own that park.

Needles to say, he remembered fries and ate the whole thing, followed by licking his paws for an eternity.

--

I'm glad that he is drinking on his own. The last house guest would ignore any form of water for the most part.

These guys are so different compared to greys raised my humans. While they may become "tame", they are still 100% wild animals and only do what they want.

Name:  20230122_095200[1].jpg
Views: 73
Size:  60.5 KB

I have to tell you, I would not leave the poor baby in pain. It negatively affects EVERYTHING, dulls the appetite, etc.

I have discovered that the infant ibuprophen is AMAZINGLY effective on these guys, and when I dose for people here on the board, I ALWAYS underdose because it does such a good job - I wish it worked as well for me! I helped a person here a couple months ago who's squirrel had developed a huge abscess on the chest. She was in a lot of pain and needed to wait until the abscess was ready before trying to lance it, meanwhile, her baby was dumpy, depressed, not eating, staying in bed all day. ONE one half dose of infant ibuprophen (and our dosing regimen is for 1/3 of the actual recommended dose, which I cut in half) and 15 minutes later she jumped up, did zoomies for a bit, then ran into the kitchen to park herself in front of the fridge to beg for food. Her mama calls it "the feel good juice" and it allowed her to get to where she could get rid of the abscess and on the road to recovery while not being in any pain. Given that it can be dosed a lot more frequently than meloxicam they can be pain free all day instead of just for a few hours after the dose.

The second thing, in addition to the MBD treatment, is to order a bag or two of the Henry's food for him. It is a supplement AND a food and will provide a lot of the replacement calcium he needs. My wilds love it - any time Zeke doesn't eat a block or part of one I toss it to one of the outdoor guys and they snarf it right down. The nuts are okay to induce him to eat but they are working directly against any MBD treatment you are trying to do.

https://www.henryspets.com/diets/ Any of the first four products - mine prefer the Hazelnut and the Picky Bites.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

McCarthy (01-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I have to tell you, I would not leave the poor baby in pain. It negatively affects EVERYTHING, dulls the appetite, etc.

I have discovered that the infant ibuprophen is AMAZINGLY effective on these guys, and when I dose for people here on the board, I ALWAYS underdose because it does such a good job - I wish it worked as well for me! I helped a person here a couple months ago who's squirrel had developed a huge abscess on the chest. She was in a lot of pain and needed to wait until the abscess was ready before trying to lance it, meanwhile, her baby was dumpy, depressed, not eating, staying in bed all day. ONE one half dose of infant ibuprophen (and our dosing regimen is for 1/3 of the actual recommended dose, which I cut in half) and 15 minutes later she jumped up, did zoomies for a bit, then ran into the kitchen to park herself in front of the fridge to beg for food. Her mama calls it "the feel good juice" and it allowed her to get to where she could get rid of the abscess and on the road to recovery while not being in any pain. Given that it can be dosed a lot more frequently than meloxicam they can be pain free all day instead of just for a few hours after the dose.

The second thing, in addition to the MBD treatment, is to order a bag or two of the Henry's food for him. It is a supplement AND a food and will provide a lot of the replacement calcium he needs. My wilds love it - any time Zeke doesn't eat a block or part of one I toss it to one of the outdoor guys and they snarf it right down. The nuts are okay to induce him to eat but they are working directly against any MBD treatment you are trying to do.

https://www.henryspets.com/diets/ Any of the first four products - mine prefer the Hazelnut and the Picky Bites.

Good news tonight!

I was about to give him more infant ibuprofen, mixed with some avocado. I opened the cage door as always, but Stinky wasn't having any. He just walks by my arm and jumps out. I moved his cage to a large window early so that he can get some sun.

I had to follow his trace of poop in order to find him. I won't try to grab him, his teeth work perfectly fine, so I lured him into a pillow case again, rolled him up like a burrito and carried him back to the cage. The last 2 hours he was super active, climbing inside the cage for the very first time, chattering his teeth at me for not letting him out, the whole nine yards.

All that without any ibuprofen! Maybe he is just dealing with an injury and things are getting better. One can hope!

--

As I wrote a couple days ago, I tried Henrys blocks, including those Picky Bites. My house guest and all others greys at the beach park don't touch them. Not one of them. They all grew up on junk food like Doritos, fries, chicken nuggets, peanuts and nuts. Our local Mexicans camp out all day long on Saturdays and often bring avocado for guacamole. The gang regularly manages to steal an entire bag of avocado, that's the only veggie they know and accept.

They are all very picky eaters. They are not like raised squirrels or your typical backyard folks.

Those blocks are tasteless (I tried them) and they don't fly around here. I'll get bitten if I force it.

These guys don't eat anything they don't know and like.

This is the typical daily picture I see in the park:

I'm glad your house guest is doing better🙏🙏
    I love them beach squirrels 🥰 🌴🥥 🏖️
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

McCarthy (01-26-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    I'm glad your house guest is doing better����
    I love them beach squirrels �� ���� ��️

Its time to clean the cage but he doesn't agree since he stashed food in every corner. Fighting a wild is an adventure for sure. So far we are at grunting, feet stomping, slapping my hands and teeth chattering. I chattered my teeth too, but he is not impressed. I hope he at least keeps his incisors to himself.

He is super sweet when I hand-feed him or when he is out and about, but stealing his nest and nuts, and the game is on

🤞🤞🤞
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

*Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

He was feisty about every single item being removed from the cage. But, I didn't get bitten, only slapped a couple times.

When I put everything back in, after washing and drying it, he didn't complain once.

Now we are both tired and due for a massive nap. The longer I'm having him and watching his antics, the more it looks like that we both are just 2 old, grumpy dudes.

He loves the soft Critter Nation cage blankets.

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

Charley Chuckles (01-26-2023), Chirps (01-27-2023), Snicker Bar (01-28-2023)

Awwwwww this is so sweet you really are good at this, making friends with a wild is one thing having him move in is something else😀
    He will never want to leave I hope you put a nut on his pillow like all 5 star hotels do

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

Chirps (01-27-2023), McCarthy (01-26-2023), Snicker Bar (01-28-2023)

Day 8 update

More good news. He started climbing in his cage and is now lightning fast when I'm in the cage for cleanup or feeding. He now considers the entire cage his nest / territory. I'm lucky that he doesn't bite me, he would get me. My hand gets swatted all the time, he stomps with his paws and I get the growling and teeth chattering symphony. Outside the cage its my land and he is super sweet.

Today I saw him hanging upside down for the first time since I took him in. So whatever was going on with his hinds is getting much better.

22. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

Chirps (01-28-2023), island rehabber (01-28-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (01-28-2023)

Awesome news 😀
    I keep praying he will make a total recovery and go back to being a beach bum 🐿️ 🏖️🌴🥥😘

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

McCarthy (01-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Awesome news ��
    I keep praying he will make a total recovery and go back to being a beach bum ��️ ��️������

Thank you! It's looking promising.

--

I'm not exactly sure but I think he misses the trees

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

Chirps (01-28-2023), Snicker Bar (01-28-2023)

So glad to see beach pics this am; I’m so ready for spring !

Glad to hear good news ; so glad he’s safe from the harshest months of winter, even if in sunny Fla; I bet it can get damp and cold and make injuries feel worse. Make him more vulnerable. What a lucky squirrel to have been noticed by a friend first , not a predator

28. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

Chirps (01-28-2023), McCarthy (01-28-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (01-28-2023)

He is such a clown.

He had his head buried under a blanket in his nest corner, with his butt sticking out, so I started fumbling his tail. That was answered with growling. Then I moved up and rubbed his butt, and he changed over to teeth chattering.

He could have easily just turned around and given me hell, but he was too lazy for that.

I made a compromise and went back to petting his tail, and he went back to growling.

When I was done he finally turned around, and started cleaning his tail for like 10 minutes, trying to get that human smell out.

Wilds are so stubborn, bold and different...

--

Meanwhile, this is my (also wild) girl. I can do everything with her. Pick her up, turn her around, stick my nose into her belly fur, or into her face, sniff her, cuddle with her, walk around with her.

She makes a good scarf on those cooler days.

We even started growing the same hair color.

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    So glad to see beach pics this am; I’m so ready for spring !

Glad to hear good news ; so glad he’s safe from the harshest months of winter, even if in sunny Fla; I bet it can get damp and cold and make injuries feel worse. Make him more vulnerable. What a lucky squirrel to have been noticed by a friend first , not a predator
    It's been in the high 50s today I've had my heat on all day...cold stinks

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast