Thread: Is this a good list for grays?

Default Is this a good list for grays?

I cant remember where I got this list but is there anything on here that is bad for grays?
    I already have the Henry's food chart but this list has things on it not on the Henry's healthy diet list.
    Please let me know if anything on here is bad for grays.....

A variety of healthy vegetables and fruits

Wild foods from outside

A source of protein

A source of calcium

Treats (not necessary to provide daily)

Vegetables:*These add fiber, fresh vitamins, and micronutrients. Variety is key! Don't let your pet get hooked on just one veggie.

arugula (Rocket)

asparagus

avocado (important for fur health)

bok choy

broccoli rabe (rapini)

brussel sprouts

cabbage

carrots*

canola/rapeseed

cauliflower

celery

chayote

cherry tomato

chicory

Chinese cabbage (gai-lan)

cilantro, fresh

collard greens

cucumber

dandelion greens

daikon

endive

escarole

fennel

field pepperwood

flowering cabbage

garden cress

green beans

kale (important source of calcium)

kohlrabi

lettuce (all kinds)

maca

mushrooms (all kinds) (important source of Vitamin D)

mustard greens

okra

parsley (fresh)

pumpkin*

purslane

radicchio

radishes

rhubarb

romaine

radicchio

radishes

romaine

tatsoi

snow peas

soybeans

squash, winter*

squash, yellow*

sugar snap peas

sweet potato*

Swiss chard

watercress

zucchini

*items marked with asterisks * are either high in sugar or have high concentrations of minerals or vitamins and should be fed sparingly

Fruits:

apple

apricot

banana*

blackberries

blueberries

cantaloupe

cherries (sour and sweet*)

cranberries

grapefruit

grapes*

honeydew

kiwi

kumquat

lemon

lime

mango*

nectarine

oranges

papaya

peach

pear

pineapple

pomegranate*

raspberries

strawberries

tomato*

watermelon

*items marked with asterisks * are either high in sugar or have high concentrations of minerals or vitamins and should be fed sparingly

Wild Foods:*These provide extra nutrients, amusement and exercise.*Before you feed an unfamiliar wild food, always make sure it's not toxic!*Do not use flowers from a florist because they are often treated with unhealthy chemicals

Safe plants and flowers:

bottlebrush flowers

camelia

carnations

chrysanthemums

clover (red and white)

crabapples

daisies

dandelion greens

hibiscus (all parts)

lambs quarters

magnolia cones

marigold

maple seeds

moss rose

natal plum

petunia

plantain

primrose

purslane

roses

rose hips

wood sorrel

Safe Trees (branches):

apple

aspen

birch

black walnut

bottlebrush

cherry

dogwood

hickory

locust

magnolia

maple

mulberry*(all parts)

oak

orange

palm nuts & fronds (NOT the cycads: sago palm, cardboard palm, etc. are deadly)

pine cones

pear

pine (3-needle and 5-needle pines)

poplar

portulaca

raintree

spruce

torenia

walnut

Protein:*An important source of protein, grubs or insects must be included in a flyer’s*daily*diet. Sprinkle calcium powder on insects to reach a proper calcium/phosphorus balance.

cicadas

crickets

egg (hardboiled)

grasshoppers

grubs

mealworms

moths

waxworms

Calcium:*A must for preventing metabolic bone disease

calcium powder (sprinkled on fruit)

cheeses (shredded, small pieces, cream)

cuttlebone (sold at pet stores for birds)

deer antler

Fox Valley formula (can be fed to adults) (as powder or liquid)

sour cream

yogurt (plain)

Tooth health food:*Thesehelp keep teeth worn down.

chicken bones (cooked)

deer antlers (often available on ebay)

rocks (cleaned)

sea shells

tree branches (see wild foods)

Rodent blocks:*Offered as a supplemental food and NOT a main food.

Harland Tekland 2018

Henry’s Healthy Blocks Flyer Formula

Mazuri - rat and mouse blocks (blue bag)
    KayTee FortiDiet - rat, mouse and hamster blocks

Treats:*These fun foods can help with bonding, but should always be fed in small amounts.

nuts and seeds

dried fruits (raisins, cherries, banana chips etc.)

A box of clean dirt provides exercise, enrichment, surprises to chew on and minute amounts of trace minerals.

Treats: Nuts/Seeds/Grains:*To be given in small amounts as treats, no more than two a day.

almonds

black walnuts

Brazil nuts

chestnuts

flax seed

hazelnuts (filberts)

oats (raw/dry/unflavored/unsweetened)

pecans

pine nuts

pumpkin seeds

safflower seeds

sesame*seeds

soy nuts

squash seeds

walnuts

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bednarkim77 from:

Skipsmom (01-25-2021)

Default Re: Is this a good list for grays?

I would nix the soybean. The things that jump out at me about the other items are : the Harlan block is not a supplemental block. They can have as much as they want. Henry’s is a supplemental block...2-3 a day. If the KayTee Forti diet is the one with the multi colored pieces and seeds then I’d avoid it. Hard extruded block from KayTee, Mazuri and Zupreem are recommended. I didn’t see coconut on the list. It is well liked and they can have the meat and the shell. Marrow bones are also well liked. Flyers are typically the only ones who eat protein, but dwarfs have also been known to.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

bednarkim77 (01-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I would nix the soybean. The things that jump out at me about the other items are : the Harlan block is not a supplemental block. They can have as much as they want. Henry’s is a supplemental block...2-3 a day. If the KayTee Forti diet is the one with the multi colored pieces and seeds then I’d avoid it. Hard extruded block from KayTee, Mazuri and Zupreem are recommended. I didn’t see coconut on the list. It is well liked and they can have the meat and the shell. Marrow bones are also well liked. Flyers are typically the only ones who eat protein, but dwarfs have also been known to.
    Thank you, my nr has always had HHB picky and fresh veggies from Henry's list, she is picky and I have a heck of a time getting her to eat veggies, she also gets extra calcium once a day (from henrys) because she has MBD but she is much much better you would even know she had it now , and then I have 2 a few months now since babies and they are going to be released this spring their mom was killed by a hawk the other 4 siblings didnt get to me in time and didnt make it. But I feed them booballs mixed with HHB and teklad 2018 walnuts or pecans or almonds, foxvalley 2050 ,multidophilus, coconut oil, baby food . And fresh veggies . They are becoming a little picky I want to find a new booball recipe and I want to start new veggies so that's what I'm worried about if the veggie list above has anything they cant have. What about hard boiled eggs ? Or can I clean and bake the shells and mix in booballs?

Maybe I will switch up the blocks and see if I use another if they will like the booballs better.
    Is there a certain name of these kinds of rodent blocks or is this the full name of the products maybe it's the teklad they are sick of in the recipe.
    I wish I had a different recipe to try .

Harlan block?
    Hard extruded block from KayTee?
    Mazuri?
    Zupreem?

No brazil nuts - too high in selenium.

Mention that peel and pit of avocado should NOT be fed.

Also, the pits of stonefruit - peaches, apriots, plums, cherries, etc., should never be fed as they contain cyanide.

Portulaca/moss rose shows toxicity for dogs definitely - I would remove them from the list.

Flax seeds and pine nuts are not toxic but they are SO high in phosphorus that they can really contribute to MBD. With so many other choices, I don't consider them as food or treats...

Field Pepperwood??

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

bednarkim77 (01-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    No brazil nuts - too high in selenium.

Mention that peel and pit of avocado should NOT be fed.

Also, the pits of stonefruit - peaches, apriots, plums, cherries, etc., should never be fed as they contain cyanide.

Portulaca/moss rose shows toxicity for dogs definitely - I would remove them from the list.

Flax seeds and pine nuts are not toxic but they are SO high in phosphorus that they can really contribute to MBD. With so many other choices, I don't consider them as food or treats...

Field Pepperwood??

Thank you. I never give skin of fruit or seeds of any kind except pumpkin seeds in the fall and acorn squash seeds weekly.
    I dont offer much fruit because of the sugar and them being picky but I do mix baby food fruit in the booballs which they are getting sick of.
    They get fresh wood and I buy unfinished wooden blocks for them to play with and chew, I do use coconut shells for them to chew, I give them a fresh coconut once a month and then when they break through it I take it away and scrape the meat out and give them a few bits once in a while but they get the shell .

I have some cilantro is that safe? What kind of nutrition does it have?

Thank you , Sorry for all the questions but I always feel like there is always more to learn,
    I also like to hear other people's opinions and tips and tricks .

This has always been my dream to be a wildlife rehabilitator and I will forever make a point to learn something new every day

Cilantro and cilantro are safe. I’m not sure about the nutrition, but it provides some variety. Parsley does as well. My guys used to like watercress, radicchio, chicory, and occasionally book chop. I know many have said their guys liked chayote squash....mine never ate it.

Here’s a recipe for baked boo squares. Maybe your guys would like them for a change. Obviously you can substitute other nuts, Fox Valley and whatever baby food your guys like. I think I’m going to try making some of these, too. My dwarf is the epitome of picky, so I thought maybe.....

You shouldn’t need to add calcium if you’re using a ground rodent block as the base. I think Teklad is superior nutritionally, but Zupreem Rodent Dry Diet is actually liked by my dwarf. It’s available many places online.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

bednarkim77 (01-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Cilantro and cilantro are safe. I’m not sure about the nutrition, but it provides some variety. Parsley does as well. My guys used to like watercress, radicchio, chicory, and occasionally book chop. I know many have said their guys liked chayote squash....mine never ate it.

Here’s a recipe for baked boo squares. Maybe your guys would like them for a change. Obviously you can substitute other nuts, Fox Valley and whatever baby food your guys like. I think I’m going to try making some of these, too. My dwarf is the epitome of picky, so I thought maybe.....

You shouldn’t need to add calcium if you’re using a ground rodent block as the base. I think Teklad is superior nutritionally, but Zupreem Rodent Dry Diet is actually liked by my dwarf. It’s available many places online.
    Do you know if I can use foxvalley 2050 instead of the other formula?

Absolutely!

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

bednarkim77 (01-25-2021)