Thread: Help Messi

Default Help Messi

My daugther found a gray boy squirrel.At the time she found him he was 3 weeks old more or less.She has been feeding him with cat formula as she was told in a pet store that puppy or goat milk wasn't good for him.He was excelent without any problem.At 5 weeks he opened his eyes,everything qas perfect.Now two days ago we noted tha he has some problem in one of his leg one.He move that leg too little.Can anyone help us and tell me what this can be?.We are so worry.We live in North Miami,FL

Default Re: Help Messi

Well, first of all, you got bad info from your pet store. Kitten formula is far too high in protein and doesn't have enough fat for baby squirrels, which makes sense since cats are pure carnivores. This baby needs to be transitioned over to Esbilac Powdered Puppy Formula, sold by chain stores like Petco and also available at Tractor Supply. Buy no brand other than Esbilac, and make certain to buy the powdered formula, not the liquid in a can.

Once you get the right formula, to feed, you want to make the change over slowly. Mix up containers of both the new formula and the old kitten formula. Then blend them in another container. At the first feeding, use approx 3/4 kitten formula and just 1/4 new puppy formula. Then do half and half, and so on. I allows the tummy to get used to the new food S-L-O-W-L-Y so as not to cause problems.

Photos would be helpful. Has anything happened to him to injure the leg?

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

kcassidy (04-26-2019), stepnstone (04-25-2019)

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

This link will give you helpful information about baby squirrel care.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (04-25-2019), stepnstone (04-25-2019)

Name:  E8674506-82D7-417E-A463-6C7715E9DE86.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  64.9 KB he is barerly moving his leg.He hasn't fall .We are very worry,he was perfect and now that.We don't have any idea of what its happening to him.The paw are swollen as can be seen in the image.Help please🙏🙏🙏
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That paw looks blistered, could he have gotten burnt on something or shocked?
    Do you have any pain meds on hand like tramadol, metacam?
    He needs something for pain, inflammation. Also a ab ointment for the paw.
    You can get some infant ibuprofen over the counter most drug stores, we
    can dose it for you but need a weight on boy or at least a good estimate.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I'm moving this into Emergency for more eyes on this with a larger representation of affected paw.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...573-Help-Messi

Can you get a clear picture of entire front leg and the back leg you mentioned. Are there any other injuries,
    sores, etc. outside the 2 legs and paw?

Name:  A6749027-39EF-48D0-8A85-B623381143B3-1.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  20.0 KB Name:  D195BDEC-2BA8-4E1B-95BC-5B251D1E5BF6-RS-1.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  21.6 KB
    Last edited by stepnstone; 04-26-2019 at 12:56 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

we were thinking about which can be the cause of the swollen paw.And we remmember that we used a electric heating pad to keep him warm.Maybe it burn his paw??.It is the only logical cause because he hasn't been exposed to any other harm.Can someone tell me ehat i can used to help him?🙏🙏🙏🙏.He doesn't want to eat to much and he doesnt move well.

Did you have the heating pad inside his cage/container? Could he possibly have chewed the electrical cord? Please examine the cord for chew marks and his mouth for any burns or injury. The heating pad is to be set on low and placed UNDER one half of his bin/container with lots of fleece or blankets for him to burrow in.

One of the best ointments for burns is a product called Silvadene. I believe it is by prescription only. At the drugstore you can find an ointment called Silvex that is for burns and wound care. It’s non-toxic. If this is from a burn even aloe will help take the hurt away.

Keep us updated.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Messi (04-26-2019), stepnstone (04-26-2019)

Was he directly on the heating pad? Could he move off it if it got too hot? What temp was it set too?

Quote Originally Posted by Messi View Post
    we were thinking about which can be the cause of the swollen paw.And we remmember that we used a electric heating pad to keep him warm.Maybe it burn his paw??.It is the only logical cause because he hasn't been exposed to any other harm.Can someone tell me ehat i can used to help him?🙏🙏🙏🙏.He doesn't want to eat to much and he doesnt move well.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Do you have any meloxicam or tramadol prescription pills? If not and you are going to a drugstore for ointment, buy a bottle of INFANT ibuprofen. Come back on here when you’ve got it and give us the weight of your baby and the strength of the ibuprofen and someone will help you dose it for his pain.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Messi (04-26-2019)

Thanks,as soon as my daugther wheight him.I'll let you know for the dosification.My mother has meloxicam 7.5 pills and I have Meloxicam 15 mg.Can I give this to the baby ones I weight him? or the baby ibuprofen will be better???.Also I have aloe after sun gel.Can I apply it to him,it is safe for him??? or the silvex will be a better option?

Here I send pictures of Messi weight and the infant ibuprofen that I bougth.Please,please,Help us to know what its the dosification that i have to submit to him and how many times per day. I also found it the Silvex oinment,its safe to use on his paw?.Thank you 🙏🙏🙏🙏
    Attached Images Attached Images      

I have PM'd the dosing instructions for the Ibuprofen... please ask if there are any questions. FOr a 64 grams quirrel this is a very, very small amount.

If it is Silverex Cream that you have (Chlorhexidine Gluconate (0.2 %w/w) + Silver Sulfadiazine (1 %w/w)), that is safe to apply.

You have not responded to Tubdriver's query trying to figure out what has caused this... was this a heating pad mishap or maybe something else? I worry this might be an electrical burn... :dunno

Edit: be sure to give plenty of fluids with the Ibuprofen..

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (04-27-2019)

We have a really really good rehabber in Miami, Florida would you be willing to turn the squirrel over to her? I know she'd keep you up to date and would probably let you come and visit as well.
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kcassidy:

gunpackingrandma (04-28-2019), Mel1959 (04-26-2019), stepnstone (04-26-2019)

How’s your baby doing? We’re here to help in any way we can.

Are you still here? How is Messi? Don't leave us hanging please.....
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kcassidy from:

stepnstone (04-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I have PM'd the dosing instructions for the Ibuprofen... please ask if there are any questions. FOr a 64 grams quirrel this is a very, very small amount.

If it is Silverex Cream that you have (Chlorhexidine Gluconate (0.2 %w/w) + Silver Sulfadiazine (1 %w/w)), that is safe to apply.

You have not responded to Tubdriver's query trying to figure out what has caused this... was this a heating pad mishap or maybe something else? I worry this might be an electrical burn... :dunno

Edit: be sure to give plenty of fluids with the Ibuprofen..

Hello Messi got well of his paw but we seem him inactive.He only wants to sleep and he is now 6 or 7 weeks old.I was seen a video of neumonia and how they look and he looks like he ha has neumonia,which antibiotics can I submit to him.Can you help me?🙏

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post
    Are you still here? How is Messi? Don't leave us hanging please.....
    Sorry I didn't answer to you.I though i answer yo everyone.I do not have experince working on this app.I don't know how to post to everyone.Sorry about that.Messi got well from his paw,but now i'm thinking he got neumonia because my daugther told me that he is innactive and only want to sleep.He is now 6 or 7 weeks old and we think sleep to much.I saw a video demostrating how a squirrel looks with neumonia and he looks exactly as the video.😫He weight 64 gr.Can you tell me which antibiotic we can administrate to him and what its the dosification.Thank you.🙏

Quote Originally Posted by Messi View Post
    Hello Messi got well of his paw but we seem him inactive.He only wants to sleep and he is now 6 or 7 weeks old.I was seen a video of neumonia and how they look and he looks like he ha has neumonia,which antibiotics can I submit to him.Can you help me?🙏
    Can this have a solution😫😫😫

Try to find Ciprofloxacin or Baytril. You can also use Septra (SMZ-TMP) or doxycycline.
    These are prescription antibiotics. Ask friends and family. You only need one pill. We can
    dose it for you if you tell us what you can find.