Thread: My baby ground squirrel more questions

Default My baby ground squirrel more questions

Hi, I have a couple more questions about my little guy, Pipsqueek. He is about 8 mos and still a real cutie. Questions:

1) Is there a type of litter I could use in his litter pan? I used to use paper towels but he started taking them to add to his house for bedding. Right now I just clean the plastic litter tray regularly, which is ok but if there is something better I'd like to know. It's a good size so it is pretty easy.

2) He eats a varied diet of Henry's blocks which he tries not to eat but chews up some, dark leafy greens, veggies which he doesn't like but eats some of, seeds & a little bit of nuts, fruit which he hates so doesn't eat much of. I've read about squirrel calcium needs and am thinking I should give him some calcium supplements to make sure he gets enough, as calcium deficiency sounds scary. He acts super healthy and his fur is nice and glossy, but I am still concerned because I don't want him to have issues. The forum mentioned Tums, could I give him small pieces, and if so how much should I give him and how often? He does like Tums a lot.

3) He really likes his cage. It's 3 single levels put together so it is 6 feet high with the 3 main levels and 3 shelves (6 levels to run around on). When I let him out for play time he is ok getting treats, climbing on furniture, and running around, but likes to go back to his cage and hang out after about 30 minutes. He has a big wheel he uses for exercise too and loves plain cardboard boxes which he moves around to decorate everywhere. He has really specific ideas about how he likes his cage arranged. He loves to be talked to and I interact with him throughout the day. And he likes visitors and family to talk to him but only likes me to touch him, so he does get attention through each day. Do I need to encourage him to run around more out of his cage even if he doesn't want to?

Here is a photo of Pipi shoving his face in the phone camera yesterday, he likes my phone. His cheeks are chubby because he is carrying around food for a snack later
    Name:  Pipi 10.15.19.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  91.5 KB

Default Re: My baby ground squirrel more questions

He is so cute! And you have apparently cracked the code - making a home that is so awesome that he doesn't want to leave is great!

Have you ever thought of making another play area for him? I am betting that a little ground squirrel would enjoy some tunnels. You could either get some large PVC pipe and fittings, or a little less expensive would be the corrugated flexible black plastic hose that you bury to drain water from your house. Like a giant hamster habitrail!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-1...0010/100212428

There is also a 6 inch version - you would ned to see which one will allow him easy access (they need to be able to turn around inside the tube).

If he is actually consuming 2 of the HHBs a day, his calcium intake is pretty much covered. If not, I would pick up a packet of the calcium carbonate powder that they sell at Henrys the next time you order. It is super fine and flavorless, which means you can sprinkle it on just about anything without him knowing. The Tums work well for emergency MBD treatment because they are so easy to locate, but I can't imagine that all of the artificial color and flavors in them are very healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    He is so cute! And you have apparently cracked the code - making a home that is so awesome that he doesn't want to leave is great!

Have you ever thought of making another play area for him? I am betting that a little ground squirrel would enjoy some tunnels. You could either get some large PVC pipe and fittings, or a little less expensive would be the corrugated flexible black plastic hose that you bury to drain water from your house. Like a giant hamster habitrail!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-1...0010/100212428

There is also a 6 inch version - you would ned to see which one will allow him easy access (they need to be able to turn around inside the tube).

If he is actually consuming 2 of the HHBs a day, his calcium intake is pretty much covered. If not, I would pick up a packet of the calcium carbonate powder that they sell at Henrys the next time you order. It is super fine and flavorless, which means you can sprinkle it on just about anything without him knowing. The Tums work well for emergency MBD treatment because they are so easy to locate, but I can't imagine that all of the artificial color and flavors in them are very healthy.
    I guess that’s one way to look at it! I am glad he is comfortable with his cage. When I mentioned he has really specific ideas about how to decorate, he really does. Anything he doesn’t like he picks up and pushes down the ramps, to the very bottom level and puts in a corner.

I gave him some large pvc tunnels connected together with fittings. He pulled them apart somehow and shoved them floor by floor to the bottom corner where they sat unused- kind of like his trash area. I tried a couple different styles but they all went in the same place. Finally gave up and took them out.

He likes to chew holes in cardboard boxes in the front and sometimes back then dives through them as he runs around the different levels. And he moves the boxes how he wants them set up. And if he gets what he thinks is a super new box, he will pack his bedding by carrying it in his arms and mouth and move it to his new sleeping box. Every night he shreds cardboard and adds more to his nest. I change his boxes & bedding as needed. He doesn’t like fleece or plush fabric, I tried toys but he doesn’t like them either, he just likes cardboard and paper towels. And he enjoys chewing bark off logs, which I think is good for his teeth. He is really particular.

I didn’t know Henry’s sold calcium. I will get that for him. He doesn’t even eat 1 block a day, he chews it up picking out the tiny shreds of nuts or hides it so I think he ate it so he can get better food. He is very smart.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to fwill from:

RockyPops (10-17-2019)

He sounds SO adorable! And looks adorable, too. What a particular little fussy guy . Sounds as if you are very in tune with his needs. We don't get many members with ground squirrels here, so this is a learning experience for all of us.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

RockyPops (10-17-2019)