Thread: Released squirrel's babies getting MBD?

Default Released squirrel's babies getting MBD?

Good evening, everyone. I'm having a concern that I hope someone can help me with. I released a female gray squirrel in October of last year, named Nugget. She lives in my backyard, and sleeps in her nest box we put in a tree for her. She had babies around the last week in January or the first week in February. Her babies are in the nest box with her. Obviously, her babies cannot come out of the nest box yet. The nest box is completely enclosed, with only an opening in the front big enough that Nugget can get in and out of it. The nest box does not get any sunlight inside of it, whatsoever. I am concerned that the babies will get MBD because they are not getting any sunlight at all. Is this a possibility and is there anything I can try to do about it?

Default Re: Released squirrel's babies getting MBD?

No worries! Those little buggers are not supposed to even stick their noses out for weeks. They never get sunlight so hers are no different than any others. She will do fine with them. That is wonderful that she is so close for you to watch her babies grow up! I am so jealous!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Bella's Mom (02-29-2016)

Oh, thank you, thank you so much! I am SO relieved to hear that! I was worried about them and worried about Nugget becoming a mother, since she was raised by a human mommy for an entire year! But she is a very good mommy and I do consider myself so lucky that I get to see her babies grow up! Thanks again for the response!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bella's Mom from:

SammysMom (02-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Bella's Mom View Post
    Oh, thank you, thank you so much! I am SO relieved to hear that! I was worried about them and worried about Nugget becoming a mother, since she was raised by a human mommy for an entire year! But she is a very good mommy and I do consider myself so lucky that I get to see her babies grow up! Thanks again for the response!

It will be a terrific spring watching Nugget and her babies! I was blessed to share my very first release raise a family in summer 2014. But I am jealous since Nugget has decided to raise her first family in the "observation deck"!!! It was a few years before Sandy finally raised a family "close to home" but it was very special! Get your camera ready... and share the pictures!!!!

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Bella's Mom (03-13-2016), SammysMom (02-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

It will be a terrific spring watching Nugget and her babies! I was blessed to share my very first release raise a family in summer 2014. But I am jealous since Nugget has decided to raise her first family in the "observation deck"!!! It was a few years before Sandy finally raised a family "close to home" but it was very special! Get your camera ready... and share the pictures!!!!

That is so awesome that you got to see Sandy raise a family close to home, although it wasn't her first family. I, indeed, feel so privileged that Nugget has chosen to raise her first family close to home. She is such a sweet girl. She comes to me several times a day to say hello and get the occasional treat. She likes to lay in my arms and on my head to relax for a bit. But I'm sure she will teach her babies to stay away from people. I will get my camera ready and most definately share the pictures. Thank you for your response!