Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caring for a disabled wild squirrel

Default Caring for a disabled wild squirrel

I have a wild squirrel I rescued from my backyard (twice). I let him(?) go to try and return him to the wild, only to have him come back and nest in some blankets I was keeping on my porch. Poor thing was shivering so badly, I brought him back inside. (I have two dogs, too, so I don’t want them killing him.)

His back legs don’t work, and he can’t use his tail. I’d take him to wildlife rescue, but I’m afraid they’ll just put him down. I originally rescued him from a rose bush on Christmas Eve, released him back into the wild about a week later when he seemed to be doing better. He returned to my yard to eat a few days later, then last week I found him on my porch & I took him in again.

I've gotten him squirrel feed as suggested on this board and some nice fabric that he nests in. I want to get him a larger habitat and a vet to make sure he doesn’t have any problems that could be attended to.

He seems to be eating and drinking okay. I try to limit my contact as much as possible.

Any advice is highly welcomed. Tyia

2. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Pam:

Bravo (01-20-2020), Chirps (02-01-2020), Diggie's Friend (01-19-2020), frankc (01-20-2020), Mialouise (01-21-2020), Rocky1 (01-20-2020), RockyPops (01-19-2020)

Default Re: Caring for a disabled wild squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I have a wild squirrel I rescued from my backyard (twice). I let him(?) go to try and return him to the wild, only to have him come back and nest in some blankets I was keeping on my porch. Poor thing was shivering so badly, I brought him back inside. (I have two dogs, too, so I don’t want them killing him.)

His back legs don’t work, and he can’t use his tail. I’d take him to wildlife rescue, but I’m afraid they’ll just put him down. I originally rescued him from a rose bush on Christmas Eve, released him back into the wild about a week later when he seemed to be doing better. He returned to my yard to eat a few days later, then last week I found him on my porch & I took him in again.

I've gotten him squirrel feed as suggested on this board and some nice fabric that he nests in. I want to get him a larger habitat and a vet to make sure he doesn’t have any problems that could be attended to.

He seems to be eating and drinking okay. I try to limit my contact as much as possible.

Any advice is highly welcomed. Tyia
    Just to establish... Did you attempt to release him with the back legs not working properly
    or did that happen after attempting to release?
    Please do not try to release again with legs not working, he won't make it out there and
    your correct a center would put him down.
    If your prepared to try and help him don't limit your contact as long as it don't stress him.
    They are pretty intelligent (most times) knowing when they are being helped.
    Tell us a little more about him, what was condition when first found?
    Any attempt to use legs or just drags them?
    Is he able to eliminate bowel and urine?
    Post a picture or two if you can.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Chirps (02-01-2020), frankc (01-20-2020), Grinderhead (01-19-2020), Rocky1 (01-20-2020), RockyPops (01-19-2020), tgramsey (01-19-2020)

Thank you for helping him! The poor little thing. You give him Henry's blocks or another rodent block? Hoping someone here lives in Colorado and can give you good vet advice. I know from recent experience that when squirrels are not using limbs, it's best to get them on Prednisone as soon as you can to reduce internal swelling. There are many folks on the board who can help you with dosing based on his weight, but hopefully you'll get to see a vet.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tgramsey:

frankc (01-20-2020), Jerri (01-25-2020), RockyPops (01-19-2020)

Be wary of vets and wildlife hospitals. I'm thinking they may confiscate the animal and put it down or report it to your wildlife police. I'm assuming Colorado has laws against keeping wildlife without a license as i understand that only Florida has no restrictions. Make sure it is a safe vet. Best to work with a licensed rehabber.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JLM27:

frankc (01-20-2020), RockyPops (01-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Just to establish... Did you attempt to release him with the back legs not working properly or did that happen after attempting to release?
    Please do not try to release again with legs not working, he won't make it out there and
    your correct a center would put him down.
    If your prepared to try and help him don't limit your contact as long as it don't stress him.
    They are pretty intelligent (most times) knowing when they are being helped.
    Tell us a little more about him, what was condition when first found?
    Any attempt to use legs or just drags them?
    Is he able to eliminate bowel and urine?
    Post a picture or two if you can.
    His back legs have never worked. That’s how I was able to catch him in the first place. I did release him in that injured state & he was able to scurry off and up a tree, albeit slowly. He just drags this back & butt on the ground. But he is able to eliminate bowels & urinate okay.

I will slowly increase my contact. He does seem to be getting used to me.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Pam:

frankc (01-20-2020), Rocky1 (01-20-2020), RockyPops (01-20-2020)

Depending on how long he's been like this a treatment of Prednisone may possibly help with the paralysis
    and always worth an attempt. Releasing him in this condition subjects him to suffering either from his condition
    or by becoming prey to another animal. Even his own kind will pick on and
    ostracize him.
    Being brutally honest, if he can not be cared for it would be better to take him to a center or vet to be humanly
    euthanized then released to a horrible death of suffering.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

12. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Chickenlegs (01-21-2020), Diggie's Friend (01-20-2020), frankc (01-20-2020), Jerri (01-25-2020), Mel1959 (01-20-2020), Nancy in New York (01-20-2020), redwuff (01-20-2020), RockyPops (01-20-2020)

Question Re: Caring for a disabled wild squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by tgramsey View Post
    Thank you for helping him! The poor little thing. You give him Henry's blocks or another rodent block? Hoping someone here lives in Colorado and can give you good vet advice. I know from recent experience that when squirrels are not using limbs, it's best to get them on Prednisone as soon as you can to reduce internal swelling. There are many folks on the board who can help you with dosing based on his weight, but hopefully you'll get to see a vet.
    He’s got the Squirrel Complete food (that’s the brand name) that says it’s vet recommended. Is that okay? Is Henry’s blocks better?

I have prednisone if anyone can give me dosing & suggestions on how to feed it to him (that stuff tastes *nasty* ime).

It looks like he may have a UTI now, too. I believe there’s blood in his urine. Can squirrels have dried cranberries? Or do I need to get him on an antibiotic asap?

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Pam:

frankc (01-20-2020), RockyPops (01-20-2020)

Wink Re: Caring for a disabled wild squirrel

I will slowly increase my contact. He does seem to be getting used to me.
    You were absolutely right! He let me scratch his back where he can’t reach and loved it, even grooming himself along with the scritching, and clinging on to my fingers at one point. I was even able to clean some earwax out of his ears. He seemed really pleased.

I’ll try and get some pictures later. He ate some food afterwards and is now sleeping.

I’ll make sure to continue my contact.

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Pam:

frankc (01-20-2020), Nancy in New York (01-20-2020), RockyPops (01-20-2020)

Hi Pam,

Thanks for helping this very needy fellow. A picture would be very important and necessary to guesstimate his weight, for the possibility of medicine given for treatment.

Way to go with gaining his trust allowing you to scratch his body is a big deal in the squirrel world. I wonder if he is young. A picture would help us to figure that out also.

Could you also describe or take a picture of his urine that you think is blood?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

frankc (01-20-2020), RockyPops (01-20-2020), stepnstone (01-20-2020)

He’s got the Squirrel Complete food (that’s the brand name) that says it’s vet recommended. Is that okay? Is Henry’s blocks better?

I have prednisone if anyone can give me dosing & suggestions on how to feed it to him (that stuff tastes *nasty* ime).

It looks like he may have a UTI now, too. I believe there’s blood in his urine. Can squirrels have dried cranberries? Or do I need to get him on an antibiotic asap?

We will need a weight or at least a picture for a guesstimate on weight.
    Squirrels are dosed medication by body weight.
    What is the milligram of your prednisone?
    What Ab's might you have?

Henry's blocks would be better, I'm attaching below the link for the healthy diet for pet squirrels.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

20. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

frankc (01-20-2020), Mel1959 (01-20-2020), Nancy in New York (01-20-2020), RockyPops (01-20-2020)

If the Squirrel Complete food is by Exotic Nation, I would immediately order Henry’s Healthy Pet block. Squirrels diet is very complicated and being on the wrong diet will cause a condition called metabolic bone disease (MBD) that will end in a tragic death. Even tho the Sq. Complete has a bit of good stuff, squirrels won’t eat that cos there are too many ‘potato chips’ in that combination of foods.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

22. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Chirps (02-01-2020), frankc (01-20-2020), Mel1959 (01-20-2020), RockyPops (01-20-2020), stepnstone (01-20-2020)

Does anyone know where OP can find an example of a perfect (or very good) meal plan/diet for a non-releasable with neurological damage or for any squirrel if she would like one? (By pm or on the thread, whichever you are most comfortable with?). I know we have the squirrel food pyramid in the nutrition section which is very helpful. I just want to make this as easy as possible. As a non-rehabber, that would be one of my worries right now if I were in her position and I am trying to do the right thing.

24. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rocky1:

frankc (01-21-2020), Pam (01-26-2020), RockyPops (01-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky1 View Post
    Does anyone know where OP can find an example of a perfect (or very good) meal plan/diet for a non-releasable with neurological damage or for any squirrel if she would like one? (By pm or on the thread, whichever you are most comfortable with?). I know we have the squirrel food pyramid in the nutrition section which is very helpful. I just want to make this as easy as possible. As a non-rehabber, that would be one of my worries right now if I were in her position and I am trying to do the right thing.

Post#10

I'm attaching below the link for the healthy diet for pet squirrels.[/I]
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

The healthy diet (aka pyramid) is the right thing and the correct resource
    to supply and meet the nutritional requirements for all captive squirrels.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

26. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

frankc (01-21-2020), Pam (01-26-2020), Rocky1 (01-21-2020), RockyPops (01-21-2020)

Hi Pam,

How are things going for you and this baby? Hopefully you are able to get some pictures of the squirrel. Please let us know how we can help you.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

frankc (01-21-2020), RockyPops (01-21-2020)

We will need a weight or at least a picture for a guesstimate on weight.
    Squirrels are dosed medication by body weight.
    What is the milligram of your prednisone?
    What Ab's might you have?

Henry's blocks would be better, I'm attaching below the link for the healthy diet for pet squirrels.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    I’ve got 5mg prednisone that I can easily quarter with my pill-cutter.

Sorry I don’t know the lingo, what’s Ab’s?

UTI seems to have cleared up with cranberries. Urine is more normal colored & doesn’t smell like blood anymore.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/4V7BhcA

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Pam from:

RockyPops (01-25-2020)

Post#10

The healthy diet (aka pyramid) is the right thing and the correct resource
    to supply and meet the nutritional requirements for all captive squirrels.
    AWESOME! Thanks... I've saved this for reference.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Pam from:

RockyPops (01-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Hi Pam,

How are things going for you and this baby? Hopefully you are able to get some pictures of the squirrel. Please let us know how we can help you.
    Apologies for my absence! Life is real. Here are pictures https://imgur.com/gallery/4V7BhcA

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Pam from:

RockyPops (01-25-2020)

Cool Re: Caring for a disabled wild squirrel

36. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Pam:

frankc (01-25-2020), RockyPops (01-25-2020)

I’ve got 5mg prednisone that I can easily quarter with my pill-cutter.

Sorry I don’t know the lingo, what’s Ab’s?

UTI seems to have cleared up with cranberries. Urine is more normal colored & doesn’t smell like blood anymore.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/4V7BhcA
    Prednisone can’t be given as a quarter of a pill. Someone will help you dilute the pill in water and tell you how much to dose. The dose is based on the strength of the prednisone and the weight of the squirrel. Please provide both.

Abs is an abbreviation for antibiotics.

38. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (01-25-2020)

I found a adult wild that could only drag herself with her front legs . I to had no experience at Wild life care . I took her in and with the help from these guys here we got it all figured out . I named her Lucy . Lucy was put on prednisone that worked wonders . We had set backs but it’s been almost a year later now and Lucy has use of her back legs , not like a normal heathy outdoor squirrel but she gets around in doors ok . She’ll never be releasable and Lucy and I are perfectly ok with that . she slowly developed a sweet personality and to me she seems happy . It is a very rewarding experience and heart warming one .
    ANIMALS. Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it.Mark twain

40. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jerri:

Chirps (02-01-2020), lukaslolamaus (01-25-2020), Mel1959 (01-26-2020), Pam (01-26-2020), RockyPops (01-25-2020), stepnstone (01-26-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast